Pennzoil Conventional ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Pennzoil conventional 5w30 be ok to run in my 2011 Altima with 3000 mile oci's? At those short oci's can I expect the same wear protection as Platinum?

I agree that PYB @5K intervals will serve you well.
I see no reason to use PP or PU unless you plan on extending the OCI.

Recent run,
confused.gif
however PYB is not recent as it contains moly that no longer being used. PYB lost the moly when the price went up. Has some but no way that much. :)That run was a SM oil which is fine but not up to date. Either way of course you can run PYB why not????
Originally Posted By: hate2work

PYB is a very good oil. Here is an analysis of a recent 6k run of PYB, good stuff.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2174981#Post2174981

Curious why the moly content of PYB dropped with the new SN rated version ...ottotheclown , others - your thoughts ?

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Recent run,
confused.gif
however PYB is not recent as it contains moly that no longer being used. PYB lost the moly when the price went up. Has some but no way that much. :)That run was a SM oil which is fine but not up to date. Either way of course you can run PYB why not????

PYB is a very good oil. Here is an analysis of a recent 6k run of PYB, good stuff.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2174981#Post2174981

How do you know that the Moly has dropped in PYB? All of the recent UOA's that I've seen posted indicate that PYB has increased it's Moly content.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...006#Post2175006

Don't forget PYB SN GF-5 has been on the market for about 9 months and the older UOA's do not show a high Moly content.

Last edited:
CAUTION: Non statistically valid personal observations:

I just ran the NEW PYB SN and the NEW Mobil Super SN back to back in the 09 forester (both 5w30). The PYB showed poorer fuel mileage after installation and somewhat rough engine operation. the Mobil Super showed an immediate 2 mpg improvement of weekly average mileage and the engine runs smoother. I am also having reasonable luck running MC-SS SN in the Yaris. New PYB is not the Old PYB.

Yes I know, but if like Bill of Utah uoa on a recent PYB in his Sabaru,
grin.gif
you will see a lower number. They dropped moly when others did as the twin Quaker State did. Moly is more costly. Boron made its play soon after.As it has been said as much as PYB is favored finding a recent uoa is hard to do.
confused.gif
Then on the other hand PP wow almost every month 2 or 3 . quote=mongo161]
Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Recent run,
confused.gif

How do you know that the Moly has dropped in PYB? All of the recent UOA's that I've seen posted indicate that PYB has increased it's Moly content.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...006#Post2175006

Don't forget PYB SN GF-5 has been on the market for about 9 months and the older UOA's do not show a high Moly content. [/quote]

Also check the famous thread New Sheriff in town and look uo the moly content in PYB. That was recent. Havoline and Mobil 5000 look like the leaders as Formula shell.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Curious why the moly content of PYB dropped with the new SN rated version ...ottotheclown , others - your thoughts ?

That is old news....been there and done that. If you go to the source, you will see that those ratings are all on the API-SM, GF-4 Dino Oils and not the current SN, GF-5 rated oils. The addition of more Moly is in the recent SN GF-5 oils or those just before the introduction date of SN GF-5....before the label change.

Formula Shell was the leader of the pack, at that time for Moly, but don't forget, those tests were on SM, GF-4 oils...and not the current SN, GF-5 oils. (Take a look at the source for oils tested)

In order for Pennzoil to meet the requirements for the SN, GF-5 oil rating they had to "beef up" the add pack and add more Group III oil, to qualify the rating.

You also make reference to the UOA done by Bill. Could you please post a link for that particular UOA? Thanks

The increase in Moly, for PYB, is recent. The Test Dates for those oils was back in late 2009 and early 2010, before the SN GF-5 oils were released.

Last edited:
I have noticed the exact opposite. That it had a little Moly on the SM formula (~50ppm) and a lot on the SN formula (~250ppm). Also a Boron and Calcium increase as well.

Note also that Bill in Utah was not sure what formula he ran. He thought at first it may have been SN but later speculated it was actually SM. But from what I remember in one thread he said something to that effect.

There is a VERY recent (last day or two I think) PYB UOA that showed about 250ppm of Moly and a bunch of Boron as well. It also had a ton of Calcium at around 2700ppm and also on the maximum end of Phosphorus too if I'm remembering right. He's checking for us now what the markings on it are (SM or SN). This will pretty much clear this up for us though.

I went through VOA's yesterday looking for some and unfortunately there was only like 1. But there are now I think 3 or so PYB SN formula's and they all show 200+ppm of Moly and a bunch of Boron and higher levels of Calcium than the old SM.

IMO, the SN formula is absolutely amazing now and I would look for it if possible. I passed up on the sale of PYB at my O'Reilly's b/c all they had was SM. I want some SN in to be able to VOA and UOA myself to put this to bed once and for all. But I do know this, the old SM stuff did not have a lot, so not sure where this "PYB not what it once was". Everything I've seen regarding the SN has improved. 500 ~ 700 ppm of calcium being one, which makes sense with the new advertisement on PYB about cleaning up to X amount on first use. Well that along with the more Boron. I think the increase of those two is where those claims come from now.

Found it. Here's a link to that UOA and thread. Like I said, he's checking for SM/SN now...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2175555

Sorry my memory is bad.. it was just over 200ppm not 250ppm of moly and 2200ppm calcium. Though I seem to recall seeing one PYB oil analysis with 250 moly and 2700 calcium. Though that's probably just noise or something from the testing done, or just a slightly high batch or a combo of both. But it seems 200+ moly is where it usually is.

Last edited:
Thanks for your posts Shpankey! I'm sure that you've "enlightened" everyone to the current status of the upgraded PYB. I am currently running 3 quarts of SM and SN but I also added TufOil thinking that I needed more Moly.

Now we all know that the SN PYB is loaded with Moly, I can refrain from adding it to Formula Shell and PYB for my OCI's.

While new Mobil Super 5000 is on my short list to try - I just loaded up my new Elantra with PYB SN rated 5W 20 and it is smoother than the Kendall syn blend it replaced as well as the factory fill (QSAD ?) . If Mobil Super 5000 is equal or better with the butt dyno then there are an excellent crop of dino oils in SN rating waiting to be tried !

Thank GOD. now that pennzoil sucks again - maybe now people will stop preaching this pyb on every thread.

there is no true basis for pyb and ultra getting all the recognition they do on this forum.

mediocre oil at a mediocre price. and no - i wouldn't trust a 5,000 mile oci on an altima with pyb. those japanese v6 engines can be rough on conventionals and like to sludge as it is.
i'd do valvolin synpower with 5,000 oci or any conventional at 3500. you just got a brand spankin' new car. put the good stuff in it. you have real potential here to mold an engine and wear it just the way you want. are you sure you want to waste that first opportunity on a pennzoil product?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back