Saving Gas bumping up mileage and octane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had the chance to try this type of product to save gas? Excerpt from a white paper.

How is the Platinum/Rhenium Technology able to reduce siniu'Ltaneou5lv the HC and Co so significantly And why cannot the combustion of the gasoline and air do it by itself?

The problem is that under the ordinary gasoline engine conditions, only about 80% of the O2 molecules go to the radical state of O2. And only, radical oxygen O2 can oxidize. 02 cannot oxidize.

Therefore, after the formation of the H 2 0 and CO, there is only enough 0= remaining to oxidize about 55% of the CO to CO2. The Co that does not oxidize to CO 2 appears as 5% to 6% of CO in the exhaust gases.

Reducing CO. Means oxidizing more Co to C02 Excess air may be added to the combustion chamber to get more radical oxygen, 0= available to oxidize the CO to CO2 And this can reduce the CO to 3% or 1% or even less.

However, this excess air does not reduce total unburned fuel (pollution), because the extra air inside the combustion chamber is parasitic and cools the flame. And as the temperature etc) fewer hydrocarbons (HC) crack, raising HC in the exhaust gases,

Therefore, to have low HC and CO simultaneously, you must either catalyze the cracking of the HC Molecule, or analyze the cracking of the O2 molecule, or both, And one thing is certain. You do not want to catalyze the cracking of the hydrocarbons because if you reduce tire the temperature at which the hydrocarbon will crack, you will have engine knock,

Therefore, you can, accomplish the improved combustion only by catalyzing the cracking of the O2 to O=, without additional air. That is precisely what platinum and rhodium does in our Platinum/Rhodium Technology

By cracking a higher percentage of the O2 to O=, the platinum and rhodium allow more radical oxygen, O=2, to be available to oxidize the CO to CO2 without additional air, and therefore without increasing HC

Therefore the only legitimate test of the complete technology is to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw, at idle, to a maximum of 1% CO, and a maximum of 250 PPM HC after the process has initialized itself ? after about 1,000 kilometers of driving with the Platinum/Rhodium Technology.

Reduction of NOX is brought about by preventing the cracking of the N2 molecule, while and by promoting the cracking of any Nox molecule that may have been formed

This is the second function of the rhodium. The rhodium inhibits the cracking of the N molecule, while catalyzing the cracking of any NOX, while ? as we mentioned earlier ? promoting the catalyst of the cracking of the O2 to 0=.

+1 - isn't it a big clue that the entire thing is poorly written? Misused and poorly spelled words hardly inspire confidence...

Besides, if this garbage (whatever is being sold here...) really worked, don't you think it would be adopted by the car companies so that they could meet CAFE? Or so that they could sell more cars in EU and UK, where gas is approaching $10/gallon?

Please...this sounds just like all the ads for the vornado, or other fuel saving "miracles" that "align" molecules or some such bogus science...remember, if it sounds too good to be true...then it is...

Last edited:
The theory is that these particles help burn the entire or close to more 90% of the fuel. Catalatic converters are coated on the inside with the same type of material as this product. Cats burn the rest of the unburned fuel that went out the exhaust manifolds. Apparently, the platnium and rhenium are sucked up from the chamber that holds this material into the intake manifold via vacume. I am a sceptic first, and was when I started to use synthetic oils! But use them 100% of the time now.This product only claims to give about 22% increase in mileage. But if gas goes to 5 dollars a gallon, the savings (IF TRUE)would be pretty good.

save your money BUY a TORNADO fuel saver
smile.gif

Operating at steady state, nearly all of the fuel is burned at a stoichiometric AFR of 14.7. This results in very little combustion byproducts for the cat to "burn." During high-load transients, the AFR may dip lower to keep combustion temperatures in check and to prevent unpredictable combustion, if I understand it correctly. This will result in more incomplete combustion byproducts, such as CO (vs CO2,) to be "burned. by the cat.

That being said, and barring their use of "cracking" for every single chemical reaction, it does make sense, though my guess is that using what there selling would be cost-prohibitive. It would probably also need to be tuned for, similar to meth/water injection.

Also, how fast are these reactions occuring? Would these particles have enough time to catalyze and give off heat and pressure before the combustion cycle ended. Again, here comes where this would need to be tuned for, in the form of advanced timing or some sort of valve timing adjustment.

There is lot of research to understand flame front, flame stability, soot production, optimizd combustion, etc.

This write-up is using buzzwords to try to sell something.

Doesnt mean that more consistent, optimized combustion can't be done, just not from that article's approach.

Fitch Fuel catalyst has competition!
Colloidal iron is another one.

Is this fuel treatment begin sold? how much? installation?

Whether something works or not doesn't mean it will or will not come for the automaker. One example is synthetic fluids...how long did it take for it to be accepted? Another example is VVT which works great. How long did it take for vvt to be norm? what about variable or multistage intakes? And, my favorite is VVT with that great selection of diesel engines that we have? VVT in a TDI, Powerstroke, Duramax, or Cummins? Hello, automakers, are you paying attention? So, the whole argument whether any automaker will adapt and install something that might work is not even a valid argument. BTW, my first FI car was in 1983 and had MPFI when almost every vehicle available had a carb. Took a while for FI to catch on too!

I'll give you a little hint. If these truly work, it'll take 10-30years before an automaker wakes up and adds it to the R&D budget.

The product was invented over 30 years ago and patented. It has survived a Federal lawsuit and was found effective. Both diesel and gas engines have been tested (for many years) and the product found to be effective...at least 22% better mileage. It is a packed, sealed unit. The contents are drawn out via vacume to the intake manifold. Its effective use before depleted is 30K. I am going to try one and will get back with you in a month or so. Price is about $150.00 and installs in 10 minutes.

Is that the same National Fuelsaver Corp device that the state of Texas fined because of their bogus claims?

Maybe it's the same National Fuelsaver Corp device that Canada fined the local distributors $100,000 because of the bogus, unsubstantiated claims.

Any chance it's the same device from National Fuelsaver Corp that Newschannel 5 in Nashville did a consumer test on and discovered that, after 4200 miles, it did nothing?

I know! I bet it's the same device from National Fuelsaver Corp that Consumer Reports tested in July of last year and found that it did zip, zero, nada, nothing.

The only thing amazing about this product is that there are people foolish enough to believe that it actually works. If it really worked, you'd see it on cars like the Prius so it could achieve even higher fuel mileage.

But it's interesting that you don't see something that can raise the fuel economy 22% on anything, even as automakers struggle to raise their fleet averages.

Ever wonder why?

That is the one.....I am going to try out this product. If it does not work as stated, I will ask for a refund within the 4 month period of return policy set. Will keep you up to speed. The car will be a Plymouth Fury with a 318 and four barrel carb. I will have the current miles per gallon within this week.

The way it said it works for both gas and diesel engine without the need to extensively modify the system is a sure sign of bogus.

Assuming the theory works, in order to ionize the oxygen, you'll need energy as 02 is the more stable form at lower energy content. This consume energy that you'll need to put in (like a constant arc spark plug in the intake manifold). Then, you'll have to adjust the ignition timing and combustion ratio so that it doesn't knock in port injection or non-stratified direct injection engine.

All of this can be done by leaning the air fuel mixture, increase the combustion temperature or pressure (PV=nRT), or the air fuel mixture and combustion temperature or pressure has to be reduced, and get you a net result of "nothing".

Whatever that device claims it is trying to do, your spark plug is already doing it in your engine.

Update:

Bought two of them and they arrived today. Installed both in about thirty minutes. I cut the pvc line and put in the tee fitting and placed the bottle and hooked up the tube. Added the mixture and started up the engines. I did pre-install mileage checks.

#1 1994 Chrysler T&C 3.8L with 240.000 miles on it.
Average fuel mileage per gallon is 18.

#2 1968 Plymouth Fury 318 engine 95.000 miles on it.
Average fuel mileage per gallon is 20.

Will check back with mileage check is a month or so.....

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Summer fuel is coming out, so you will get better mileage because of the better fuel.

yeah they can stick that winter blend stuff up there you know what! my millage this winter was worse than it ever was.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Summer fuel is coming out, so you will get better mileage because of the better fuel.

I filled up both cars today. It is still in the freezing range here in Idaho, so Summer fuel won't be an issue. I dropped down one grade so far. The engines are running fine down one grade so 10 cents a gallon has been saved at this point. Will do a mileage check next week.

Staying off the go pedal is the the best way to save fuel and proper maintence. Like mentioned above summer blended fuels are coming out soon so you should see a slight increase there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back