Using AT-205 Re-Seal Topically

Status
Not open for further replies.
A certain internet auto repair and maintenance "guru" has recently recommended using AT-205 Re-Seal on certain chassis parts to stop squeaks.

It is usually used directly in the oil sump to fix seal leaks, but the idea here seems to be be one of preserving or perhaps renewing things like bushings.

What little I have found on BITOG simply mentions that it is a plasticizer, seems not to contain petroleum distillates, and has mixed reviews from some BITOGers. Most objections seem to relate to its use inside the oil sump or transmission.

I am thinking of using it topically as preventative maintenance on bushings, brake lines, and cv boots. Does anyone have am opinion on whether this would be a waste of money, potentially beneficial, or possibly destructive?

I have been using 303 Protectant, but I wonder if AT-205 might not just preserve but actually restore these items.

Interesting thought, I am not familiar with thew product you speak of. The only thing I don't follow is the concern over bushings.

I like the Idea of using the treatment on only the leaking seal.

I would think the effectiveness may be limited however you would be able to treat the seal with full strength product instead of using it as an oil additive.

I could imagine the boot becoming soft & stickier when bellows make contact with eachother.

Many times seals fail due to wearing a groove in the rotating steel or iron surface.

Brake lines & boots may be a bad idea. If it soaks thru the brake hose plys it will compromise its ability to retain its burst specifiaction.

CV boots only need silicon spray to preserve & prevent the bellows from binding together.

Last edited:
I have actually used this stuff for RUBBER suspension bushings ONLY (I would NOT put it on rubber brake lines, and would be hesitant to use it on steering rack/CV joint bellows).
I buy the liquid bottle and pour it into a pump spray bottle.

DO NOT put too much of this on or it WILL turn the bushing you are trying to swell/quiet to MUSH.
Just wet it slightly and let it soak in.

It DOES work for me, especially on the front lower control arm rear bushings which are a PAIN to replace.
wink.gif

Thanks for the warning. I was tempted to do exactly as you describe regarding the non-bushing components. Just 303 Protectant for them!

The only place that I have found this is from Amazon merchant which tacks on shipping. Any cheaper source of it?

Yah, I like that internet "guru" along with RichPin, EricTheCarGuy and RealFixesRealFast. Anybody else is a hack or don't know how to keep camera on a tripod.

- Vikas

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
The only place that I have found this is from Amazon merchant which tacks on shipping. Any cheaper source of it?

- Vikas

I found it locally at a locally owned auto store. Besides Amazon, I have not been able to find it online either.

Every single Napa I've visited in my area has it right on the shelf (some even carry the small aerosol can version as well).

A lot of the independent stores also have it on the shelf.

Thanks for nothing :-(

You think I did NOT search on NAPA online for this particular product?

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back