best Amsoil grease for Ball Joints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replacing some ball joints and have easy access to all the Amsoil products and am replacing some ball joints on a car. Out of their products, which is best suited for a Ball Joint application? I know S2000 is great for bearings, but I also want the best for the ball joints.

Amsoil's Synthetic Polymeric Truck, Chassis and Equipment Grease, NLGI #2 worked well for me for ball joints and King Pins. I didn't like the S2000 grease which I bought and used for wheel bearings. I ended up removing it and repacking them with another grease.

Is there a reason you did not like the S2000 for bearings? All I've ever read is about how it is prob the best roller bearing grease available? I've looked at their Polymeric grease, but they never really mention any sort of automotive use, so I was not really sure if it was the wrong grease for the application.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Is there a reason you did not like the S2000 for bearings? All I've ever read is about how it is prob the best roller bearing grease available? I've looked at their Polymeric grease, but they never really mention any sort of automotive use, so I was not really sure if it was the wrong grease for the application.

My first impression was it didn't have the body of a typical grease, but based on the reputation and literature I went ahead and used it anyway. I later noticed it ran out the back of the gun, I relieved the pressure and it still made a puddle on the floor. It didn't drip out, it leaked out the back of the gun. I left the bearings packed with it, and wasn't comfortable seeing how it ran out the back of the gun. A few months later I pulled the front wheels [RWD vehicle], removed the bearings, cleaned them up, and repacked them with something with more body, also made for wheel bearings.

Call it a fluke, a bad batch, whatever, I won't use it again. Their other grease I mentioned was much, much better. IIRC was not the best choice for bearings, which was why I didn't use it. I used S2000 because it was supposed to be their best grease for bearings. Some people claim its the best, I'm sharing my experience with it. I'm not trying to sway you away from the product, just sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I appreciate your story. I've used the s2000 for a couple years to keep my auto pistols lubed as I think it has a good consistency for the guns, and does not run like oil. I have a couple different grease guns, and I mainly use that S2000 gun for, as I said pistols and I also use it lube the gimble bearing in my outdrive. I use the waterproof grease in my boat trailer bearings because of the obvious. My 2wd 95 Ram front bearings are packed with the Amsoil Red (their normal stuff) and looked really good last time I had them apart.

I am just looking for something that is "extra special" when I install these new ball joints along with poly bushings in the control arms. I'll grab a tube of the new Poly grease and try it out. Unfortunately they are not offered with zerk fittings, so I will wipe out as much grease as I can, and pack them full of the new grease before I install the boots, and hope for the best.

P.S. Am I wrong for using S2000 on my Gimble bearing? I consider 5000rpm to be a high speed bearing.

Last edited:
Like I said don't let me sway you. I kept this grease in a seperate gun as well. I have 3 grease guns, and learned here how the pressure should be relieved, it made no difference in this case. When I pulled the wheels it looked as if most of it had broken down or washed out for lack of a better term, hard to describe.

Anyway people swear by it, I stressed over it, which is why I ended up pulling the wheels and doing it over. Maybe they have an alternate grease you can use, or give S2000 a shot. If its easy have a look a few months later and see what's going on if you have any doubts. JMO

Last edited:
For balljoints and tierod ends I would go with their offroad grease since it has extra moly in it. I use Schaeffer's 238 for those though, super stuff...

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
For balljoints and tierod ends I would go with their offroad grease since it has extra moly in it. I use Schaeffer's 238 for those though, super stuff...

So you think personally that the Offroad Polymeric is better than the standard Polymeric? It just seems that stuff designed for back hoes and bull dozers seems like it would be designed differently than something that goes on a car ball joint... just saying, could be wrong.

They are both pivoting, high impact conditions. The off road grease is probably overkill but this is Bitog!

I've gone to CAT gold (way overkill) on mine and so far no problems.

Unless you are using a ton of the stuff, the slight extra cost for a tube isn't really going to matter so I always overkill it.

To those that have used the Amsoil polymer greases, are they really stringy? I hate stringy grease.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
They are both pivoting, high impact conditions. The off road grease is probably overkill but this is Bitog!

I've gone to CAT gold (way overkill) on mine and so far no problems.

Unless you are using a ton of the stuff, the slight extra cost for a tube isn't really going to matter so I always overkill it.

To those that have used the Amsoil polymer greases, are they really stringy? I hate stringy grease.
I don't find it stringy at all.

I may go over to Amsoil grease, perhaps the offroad???, in my Stratus. The driver side ball joint is starting to rub metal on metal and I just re-greased, but I think the gun had a general purpose grease loaded and not the typical polymeric, nglb #2 recommended.

I have not tried the new Amsoil greases. One thing I noticed about the Series 2000 grease was that it is very low friction and had long life in one of the test parameters. Twice as long as the old red Amsoil grease. Forget the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back