04 Tahoe. Tool for the brake calipers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest Girlfriend has an 04 Tahoe 2wd that she bought brand new. It's never had any brake work done to it. The front brakes are down to the squeekers and I cant get the stupid calipers off!

The bolts are a torx. Every set has a T50 and a T55 and this bolt uses something in between these 2 sizes and nobody has one. It's not an Allan, it's a Torx. A 50 is too small and a 55 is too big.

No way to grab the bolts with vicegrips as the bolts are beveled.

Anybody know what size it is and who has the tool?

My references say this is the same bolt on all GMT800 trucks. It should be a T55. Try a T55 bit socket from another tool brand. Maybe try pounding it in with a hammer.

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
My references say this is the same bolt on all GMT800 trucks. It should be a T55. Try a T55 bit socket from another tool brand. Maybe try pounding it in with a hammer.
No way a T55 will fit. It's much larger than the hole. A T50 spins freely in the hole.

Very odd, possible that the bolt is defective, when you get it out, buy new ones and see if they are T55, should be. my sierra is also t55 on the front. The Silverado we have uses a 18mm bolt head.

Originally Posted By: defektes
Very odd, possible that the bolt is defective, when you get it out, buy new ones and see if they are T55, should be. my sierra is also t55 on the front. The Silverado we have uses a 18mm bolt head.
Well I tried more than 1 bolt.

Originally Posted By: justinf89
I'm telling you it's a 3/8" star bit.
Nobody lists a 3/8 star bit. It must have another name? I'm wondering if what your calling a 3/8 torx is really a Torx Plus since those wont work with a regular Torx bit.

Well, try to get your hands on some Torx Plus bit sockets. It sounds like IP50 or IP55 might be the size.

Justin is definitely not calling his bit by its official name. Maybe a picture would help.

It could also be a Polydrive, a.k.a. RIBE, head. Here's the M16:
Hlavice_RIBE_M16.jpg

I checked with the tool trucks and they are way overpriced for the Torx Plus sockets. I found some online for a decient price. I hope that they get here before the brakes get into the rivits or it kicks a pad out.
eek.gif

Still no word on a 3/8th Torx. If the new Torx plus dont fit I'm going to have to chisle the bolts out and replace them with the aftermarket bolts that use a regular wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back