96 Accord Trans Fluid Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to be buying a 96 Accord. Its in great shape, but has never had a trans service. It has 180k miles and I want to do a drain and refill with HONDA Trans fluid.
I was thinking about doing an initial drain and refill with an oil change as well. Then in 5k do it again with the next oil change. Trying to get some fresh fluid in there after all these years.
So whats everyone think of this plan?

I would do a change for sure. That is a loooong time. Your plan sounds good, or you could take it to a Honda dealer as my second option and do it all at once, I don't think that is necessary though just a second option.

BTW Which Honda fluid were you going to use??

with 180k on the clock, you might just want to leave that tranny fluid in there if it shifts fine. it can start to slip with new fluid

Do the drain /fill. If it slips or breaks , its time has come anyway. Time to refresh the fluid.

I'm going to use whatever fluid is required for that year vehicle from the Honda dealer. Were their other options?
I have no intentions of doing a flush.

Last edited:
U will know how many drain and fills have been done when u take the drain plug out by looking at the magnet on it.

Originally Posted By: RH+G
U will know how many drain and fills have been done when u take the drain plug out by looking at the magnet on it.

This!

I bought my son's 1996 Accord with 177K on it with not one single transmission fluid change having been done. The drain plug magnet was saturated with shavings. Also suggest if you have a small magnetic pick up tool end, sweep just inside the drain hole to get the remaining shavings out.

Also, these transmissions for this year spec Dextron II as a suitable sub but anything Dextron III rated will work. Transmission filter is not serviceable unless you split the transmission casing. Simple drain and refill is about 2.5 quarts.

For me, the improvement was immediate on the first drain and refill. I would recommend about three drain and refills spread out over 1K miles each to get mostly fresh fluid cycled through.

Also recommend the turkey baster method of sucking out the power steering fluid from the resevoir and install correct Honda Spec power steering fluid. Do not use ATF or another universal spec fluid. Auto Zone sells Honda spec fluid if needed.

Last edited:
Thats very interesting about using Dex II or III. I was always told to use the "Honda" fluid in these transmissions.
Are we all certain that Dex can be used? If it can be used safely, then it would same me a few bucks. But I don't mind spending xtra to get the right stuff.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Thats very interesting about using Dex II or III. I was always told to use the "Honda" fluid in these transmissions.
Are we all certain that Dex can be used? If it can be used safely, then it would same me a few bucks. But I don't mind spending xtra to get the right stuff.

Owners manual for this year calls out the Honda Premium formula ATF or DEX II. I know the later years went to an exclusive Honda only formula but this is not the case here.
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/AC9696/AC9696O00159A.pdf

Since technically they are no longer issue a license for DEX II or III, you can find a compatible product from most normal ATF brands than are actually a universal MERCON/DEX formula and you will be fine. IIRC I used Pennzoil multi-vehicle ATF and was fine.

Pennzoil_Automatic_Trans_Fluid_ATF_1qt.jpg

Last edited:
I am going to be buying a 96 Accord. Its in great shape, but has never had a trans service. It has 180k miles and I want to do a drain and refill with HONDA Trans fluid.
I was thinking about doing an initial drain and refill with an oil change as well. Then in 5k do it again with the next oil change. Trying to get some fresh fluid in there after all these years.
So whats everyone think of this plan?

Usually whenever I buy a used vehicle, I assume the previous owners did not do any preventative maintenance, unless proven otherwise with a maintenance log. Right off the bat, all fluids (oil, tranny, PS, brake, and coolant) get changed. That way I have a base point to go off of for future fluid changes.

As far as ATF choice, I would stick w/ the Honda Z-1. Maybe do a couple of quick (1000 mile)runs with a Dex3, but then the final fill go with the Z-1. I drain/fill the ATF every 20k in my '02 Accord.

I know for fact that the last owner (co-worker) changed the oil every 2500-3000 miles with Castrol. He was insistent on that, and he has a thing for castrol too. He got the car with 150k on it. He never did the tranny, or timing belt.
I already bought all the timing belt and water pump stuff from my Honda dealer to do that job. So after that I'm doin the tranny stuff. Overall a good shifting and excellent running car. Everything works on it as well. Not a bad deal for $2500.

Originally Posted By: RH+G
I have been using Mobil 1 since 2001

What year is your Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back