GF-5 fully synthetic oils currently available

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did an oil change on my 1985 Corolla 4A-LC engine a few days ago. I used Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic GF-5 5W-30 oil (and Toyota 90915-YZZF2 filter).

The date code on the bottle is October 20, 2010. There is GF-5 certification but no dexos1 certification on the label.

Here is a photograph of the label:

IMG_1807_crop_800.jpg

The engine is running very smoothly and the fuel economy is great.

It looks like Pennzoil Platinum is the only GF-5 synthetic oil currently available in the market.

Let us know when other GF-5 synthetics become available. But Pennzoil seems to surpass other brands in quality and I'm likely to stick with it in the future.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: s2krunner
Castrol syntec and QS

I noticed that Castrol Syntec has an 150 degrees Celcius HTHS viscosity of 2.9 in the xW-30 grades, which is the lower limit. See the Castrol Syntec datasheet. I don't like that at all. It's almost like xW-20 oil. I wouldn't use Castrol Syntec in xW-30 and xW-40 grades for that reason. HTHS viscosity is perhaps the most critical spec for an oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: s2krunner
Castrol syntec and QS

I noticed that Castrol Syntec has an 150 degrees Celcius HTHS viscosity of 2.9 in the xW-30 grades, which is the lower limit. See the Castrol Syntec datasheet. I don't like that at all. It's almost like xW-20 oil. I wouldn't use Castrol Syntec in xW-30 and xW-40 grades for that reason. HTHS viscosity is perhaps the most critical spec for an oil.

Castrol lists HTHS as minimum for the spec. As many of their specs are listed as minimum

Correct, the true HTHS isn't publicized. Everyone speculates the 0w30 is 3.5-3.6ish since it's an ACEA B3 oil meaning it MUST be 3.5 or better.

I see it says "Superior Active Cleansing Agents".
I been using dino (Castrol GTX)in my 130k Rav, and drive 90+ miles daily for work. Been thinking at times going to synthetic.
Last week I'm noticing some varnish when I looked in the oil fill hole, not bad but it's there and I would like to clean it up. I was thinking of adding maybe 8-10oz of MMO for the last 1k of driving then doing the OC, repeat until... whenever. I'm on a 4k OCI right now.
This PP may be an option for me.

Originally Posted By: casperfun
The XL amsoil is GF-5.

As well as the Amsoil OE. We have been selling a TON of this Amsoil OE oil at my dealership. We are selling about 10:1 Amsoil:Conventional Bulk.

SN/Dexos 1 5w30

Hardly the only synthetic SN/GF-5 available. I was at Wal-Mart this afternoon and they've added to the already available QS synthetic with Supertech synthetic and Motorcraft syn blend. There'll be plenty of SN/GF-5 product soon.

Wow an 1985 Corolla! Is it your daily driver, how many miles? You should post a pic
I did an oil change on my 1985 Corolla 4A-LC engine a few days ago. I used Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic GF-5 5W-30 oil (and Toyota 90915-YZZF2 filter).

The date code on the bottle is October 20, 2010. There is GF-5 certification but no dexos1 certification on the label.

Here is a photograph of the label:

IMG_1807_crop_800.jpg

The engine is running very smoothly and the fuel economy is great.

It looks like Pennzoil Platinum is the only GF-5 synthetic oil currently available in the market.

Let us know when other GF-5 synthetics become available. But Pennzoil seems to surpass other brands in quality and I'm likely to stick with it in the future.

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
Wow an 1985 Corolla! Is it your daily driver, how many miles? You should post a pic

It's my regular car for the last 15+ years. It has 230,000 miles on it. I recently did a complete rebuild on the carburetor myself (even though it was mainly the float that was out of adjustment) and cleaned up the heavy carbon deposits on the EGR valve (with a wire and brake cleaner) and replaced the EGR vacuum modulator with a torn diaphragm and the faulty thermostatic vacuum-switching valve that would open the choke with a cold engine. I also had to replace the front and rear struts recently. It has the original 4A-LC engine and clockwork 4-speed automatic and drives pretty well.

I will try to take a pic and post it when I get a chance. I will also update on the fuel economy I get from the Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic GF-5 5W-30 when I use the full tank.

Last edited:

It's my regular car for the last 15+ years. It has 230,000 miles on it. I recently did a complete rebuild on the carburetor myself (even though it was mainly the float that was out of adjustment) and cleaned up the heavy carbon deposits on the EGR valve (with a wire and brake cleaner) and replaced the EGR vacuum modulator with a torn diaphragm and the faulty thermostatic vacuum-switching valve that would open the choke with a cold engine. I also had to replace the front and rear struts recently. It has the original 4A-LC engine and clockwork 4-speed automatic and drives pretty well.

I will try to take a pic and post it when I get a chance. I will also update on the fuel economy I get from the Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic GF-5 5W-30 when I use the full tank.

Here is a pic. You can view more pictures here in this album.

IMG_1841_blur.jpg

Wow an 1985 Corolla! Is it your daily driver, how many miles? Y

It's my regular car for the last 15+ years.

Our 86 5 speed Corolla lasted us 14 years and would have gone longer except that the body rusted out.

IMG_1841_blur.jpg

Wow, that car brings back memories. We had a 1986 that we traded for a Volvo(bad mistake, should have kept the Corolla!). Glad to hear you chose PP for your fill. I am currently using PP in my '99 Corolla and she LOVES it! So smooth and of course, excellent gas mileage(hey, it is a Corolla).

IMG_1841_blur.jpg

She just needs a paint job, and she'll look great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back