First handgun chosen. Give me your two cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been into guns for a long time but this will be my first purchase. Have shot rifles & shotguns plenty but I figure now's the time in my life to acquire a handgun for home defense and recreational shooting.

Probably going for the Smith & Wesson 4506 (or 4506-1). It's a steel frame .45 ACP DA/SA made in the late 80s and through the 90s. Heavy and plain but I'm not worried about concealed carry since they don't have that in Illinois.

400px-S%26W4506.jpg

The reviews and testimonials say it's a very durable and reliable gun that still has a decent following. Good used examples go for $400ish.

Review

Thoughts? I handled the 9mm version (5906 I believe) today at a gunshop and liked the weight and sturdiness. IIRC the .45 version is right around 3lb with a full mag.

I owned one for a short while a few years ago. You are correct, it is quite heavy and I just couldn't get used to it. PLus, I don't like the fact that it wont fire without a magazine in it.

Quote:
it feels like you have en engine block in your pants

lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Have you shot much .45 ACP? Not too unpleasant. Not super expensive for the caliber. Kinda large for your first handgun, has some good HD characteristics from several great guns. Looks fine to me.

How is the DA trigger to you?

If your really into the 1911 style then there are better options for the same amount of money. If your looking to take it the range Id also recommend the 9mm for cost and availability. You can go into any Walmart and they will always have 9mm but .45ACP is difficult. For a first handgun I would go with a military surplus pistol. Cheap, and plentiful! Such as the CZ-82 in 9x18 or .380ACP for only $150. Also if for equally as much as the S&W theres new Glocks and Springfield XD's. But if your really into 1911's then there isnt anything wrong with the one you are looking at.

From my own personal experience and based on what you've mentioned - if it's comfortable in your hand that's the most important thing - go for it. Then put in the time at the range to determine which defense round feeds reliably.

I've shot plenty of .45 ACP. I was actually at the range today and rented a Kimber Custom II .45 ACP. Also shot my dad's old-school 1911 from WWII.

I think the box I bought today was Speer TMJ 230gr.

The 3rd generation S&W is a great gun. I own the 5906 and it has been absolutely trouble free. In .45 ACP, you get a great gun in a great caliber. .45 is a lot of power for a 1st gun...depends how you want to use it. An interesting choice from that vintage S&W is the 1006, hard to find and hard to find ammo for, but a very powerful round in the same frame. Love that one too...have used it on the range several times...

For a 1st gun, I believe in and recommend the .357 Magnum in a 6" revolver (and I like the S&W line...). The .357 has great stopping power (best record in actual use by law enforcement) but when you want to just go shooting or plinking, you can load it with .38 special rounds, saving $$ and making the recoil very light. A revolver is the simplest to use - no safety/manual of arms in a clutch situation. Best 1st choice there is: simplest, most reliable design, lots of power, cheap to practice with...

But the 4506 is a great gun. Just shoot it often, get used to it, learn the safety, practice reloading it, develop the good habits on the range in case you ever need it for real...

Cheers,

Last edited:
my Guard unit had us qualify with the M1911.

I got an Ithaca made .45.

It was probably older than my dad. The matte finish was worn shiny silver in places. 2 stovepipe jams and I still qualified.

Sharpshooter with the rattly old .45 Expert in M9 and with the Ruger .22 on the sub-caliber range.

I still don't like the .45 compared to the Beretta, but I gotta' admire it's durability. It was probably made in the '40s and still being used in the '80s

What made you choose this particular pistol? Price? Brand? Made in USA? If I were looking at full size steel frame 45 pistols I'd have to look at 1911s.

BTW, Yaris, the 4506 is not a 1911, not close.

Last edited:
Dparm, Smith&Wesson makes some of the most under-rated 1911's IMO. Look for deals and you will get a much better gun. That is a good piece, but heavy and it doesn't need to be because .45's are pretty easy to shoot anyway. I know there are a lot of options but I would recommend the new FN USA .40, or the SpringField XD. If you want a real 1911 style, S&W (used) or a Taurus 1911 which I believe is the best bang for the buck...pun intended. Taurus has its naysayer's but as an owner of three I can't imagine owning anything else.

I hada 9mm version for a little while. My entire family put thousands of rounds through that pistol, excellent weapon. My uncle still has it today.

Good weapon. Built like a tank, will shoot the hollow points with ease (I've shot hundreds of Speer 200gn JHP (commonly known as flying ashtrays)through one when I had one) and service accurate.

Due to the mag safety its a little numb but good choice. Keep it clean and it will outlast you.

Take care, Bill

I picked one up the other day at a show. It's a big gun. If you ever have to use it in a defensive way and run out of ammo you can just beat the attacker to death with it.

I know .45 is a big round for a first gun but I'm fine shooting it. I chose the 4506 because I like the look and reputation it carries. I would be curious to shoot the 1006 but ammo is expensive and rare... .45 ACP is cheap and easy to find, plus my father has promised to give me all his old reloading gear.

I was actually eyeing an old S&W California Highway Patrol .357 Mag for a second/fun gun. There's something classic and timeless about it.

greenaccord, what did you pay for yours used? Around $400ish? I've seen some really clean ones go for $500 online.

Another choice is a Ruger P90. Built like a tank and known for their accuracy and ability to shoot most any ammo, and inexpensive.

That heavy pistol and soft reloads would be like shooting 9mm.

Its an S&W. Its a 1911. Its a 45. Its a beauty of simplicity in a world of fluff. Whats not to like?

I say buy!

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Its an S&W. Its a 1911. Its a 45. Its a beauty of simplicity in a world of fluff. Whats not to like?

I say buy!

The 4506 a 1911? Sorry, no it's not. It is an S&W 45 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back