Wisconsin air-cooled engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my above post, it is supposed to be Lombard, not Lombardi. Alvin Lombard developed one of the first tracked vehicles for the logging industry. The Lombard Log Hauler was pretty popular in the '20's and 30's.

I was looking at a Freeman baler the other day and noticed it used a Duetz air cooled engine. I wonder how these stack up against the Wisconsin. Its appears the Freeman balers are using both Wisconsin and Duetz motors.

Hi,
fortunately (because I'm an oldie) I've had a lot of experience with Wisconsin, Onan and Deutz engines in a variety of applications. In the correct application they were/are all bulletproof!

Always use a suitable viscosity HD lubricant, keep oil and air filters up to scratch, keep the air flow unobstructed/fins clean and the drive belts (where needed) in good order

Here's one to consider - a Zaporozhets - Russian air cooled V4 in a rear engined car the size of a VW - from the 1950-1960s. And of course we have the Tatra V8s

I remember growing up my father had a DKW jeep with an air-cooled 2-stroke engine. That was early 70's. It was dangerous (no roll bar) to do any serious off-road play. He and my grandfather towed a small trailer with it and used it to haul hay out for the horses.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
I remember growing up my father had a DKW jeep with an air-cooled 2-stroke engine.

A neighbor of mine has one of those. Super cool little thing about the size of a Suzuki Samurai. I'm not sure if it's a DKW since it is small, but it's definitely a 2-stroke. Kids bomb around in the fields with it leaving a blue streak of exhaust in their wake. It's a capable bugger.

Joel

Last edited:
It was a fun rig. We all learned to drive with that thing. My parents were careful about supervision. My dad worried about rolling that thing since we had hilly property and of coarse the first thing you want to do is climb a hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back