Would too much MMO make car not start when hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
just wondering. latest thing is it "wont start back up after its hot" this is the car that got my nice, long idles.

if it cools down, it starts up fiine, Grey smoke dissipates first thing in morning, roughly 5 minutes, then never returns. Grey, not white.

i wonder if all the MMO i put in could do that. Im at half a tank now, put in 100% gasoline no MMO so im still at about 10% or so.

It runs fine for as long as i have it on and that could be an hour or so. somethimes check engine liught comes on at idle and goes off when i drive it away.. strange

was split as to "Maintenance" or "Fuel additive" forum for this

if you are using MMO as directed, or even 2 or 3X the recommended dosage, it is not causing your hot start trouble.

How much MMO are you actually using? Your words seem to indicate above 10%; That is 32 times the recommended dose.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
How much MMO are you actually using? Your words seem to indicate above 10%; That is 32 times the recommended dose.

From the other thread, he said he put in several gallons of MMO into his gas tank.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

From the other thread, he said he put in several gallons of MMO into his gas tank.
I think that may effect it some.
crazy2.gif

The grey smoke is your MMO burning. When your catalytic converter warms up it "eats" it.

get more gas in there as often as you can to dilute the mmo out and then start using mmo as directed on the bottle.

Did you have this problem before you put in the MMO? If not I bet the MMO is the cause. Always ask
Originally Posted By: SuperFast
just wondering. latest thing is it "wont start back up after its hot" this is the car that got my nice, long idles.

if it cools down, it starts up fiine, Grey smoke dissipates first thing in morning, roughly 5 minutes, then never returns. Grey, not white.

i wonder if all the MMO i put in could do that. Im at half a tank now, put in 100% gasoline no MMO so im still at about 10% or so.

It runs fine for as long as i have it on and that could be an hour or so. somethimes check engine liught comes on at idle and goes off when i drive it away.. strange

was split as to "Maintenance" or "Fuel additive" forum for this

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Several gallons in a tank of gas will cause problems.

i ran 2x recommended amount, my check engine light cam on. went to no mmo for 2 tanks, light went off. went to normal amount, the light came back on, but i dont think the mmo is causing the light to come on, its not going to be trouble. so its reg amount for me.

Morris have you pulled a code? It could be too much MMO, it could also be the gas cap. Try putting a thin film of oil around the gasket on the gas cap and see what happens. Or go to AAP and have them pull codes for you if you don't have a scanner.

thats a good idea. ill check that out. one time i traded trucks, one was 1999 dakota, the new one was a 2001 dakota. i kept the locking cap and put it on the 2001. a code poped up, bought the right cap for the 2001 no more code. i just remembered the code came on when the cold weather came.

Last edited:
Hey guys.. saw the posts about the MMO, yeah ive been diluting it out with 100% gasoline no MMO, as i put in 2 Gallons of MMO in the gallon jug from parts store. and shortly after i noticed "smoke on startup" that went away ill bet it is burning it off and will stop when the gas gets to right amount.

as to the issue, all i needed to "fix the problem" is to keep my foot all the way down when starting the car hot on th egas pedal, and it starts.
33.gif

i founf this out about an hour ago.

thanks for the input, and iwill continue to add gas only as i too think it caused some issues and i need to add more gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back