oreilly vs napa synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one is better, since they both have deals this month.

1 qt napa synthetic...$3.29
5 qts oreilly synthetic w/ M1 filter...$19.99

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bodeh6
Napa. It is like a Synpower but with a lesser add pack.

Says who?
whistle.gif

Do a search-there were some shaky UOAs on the O'Reilly synthetic, also some of it had API certification issues (?). NAPA has been getting their oil from Valvoline for a good while now, I have used their dino (similar to VWB) a few times & it's been OK.

I do not understand using these marginal oils when you can get something like PP for a little over $20 and then whatever filter you want. Remember that NAPA can spec out basically any oil they want with someone like Valvoline. The filter is then $5-$8. I'd feel much more confident using a top tier oil and paying a little bit more.

I'd bet that PP & Supertech filter would give better results than NAPA & a Mobil 1 filter.

I use PP but I splurge on a Amsoil Ea filter. My Jeep has a 6QT sump, so there is less stress on the oil regardless.

Last edited:
Marginal oils? Well that would be a nice comment if it weren't for the fact that the bulk of the DEO base oil for N. America is made by Motiva out of Port Arthur, TX and the largest producer of add packs is Infineum. Most all the off the shelf oils, including the "marginal" ones are usually blends of products from these two producers. The differences of oils within a certain classification like CJ-4 or CI-4 is not really enough to make that much difference. Of course, engine metalurgy may "prefer" a particular brand over another. Name in almost all cases is meaningless. The big name oils are more costly primarily because the buyer is helping them to pay for race car sponsorships, advertising, and big name entertainment at places like the Mid America Truck Show.

I get a fantastic performing 50% synthetic blend DEO from a local oil supplier under their label, blended by Warren out of the Council Bluffs, IA plant that performs as well or better than the big name stuff, at a cost (delivered to my door) of $9 a gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back