2007 F-350 6.0L with CO-OP DMO SL 0W-40 17,800 kms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know much about this, but looks pretty decent.

I notice that Zinc and Phos are really high.

It did shear down to a 30 weight (which is normal for this engine.)

I did switch this oil out with 0W-30 ESSO XD-3, which makes this engine run better and won't shear down as bad.

The following results were obtained using John Deere Oilscan (Edmonton Lab).

Hours on Oil: 269 hrs.
Mileage on Oil: 17,843 kms (11,089 miles)
Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe) 32
Chromium (Cr) 1
Lead (Pb) 5
Copper (Cu) 5
Tin (Sn) Aluminium (Al) 6
Nickel (Ni) Silver (Ag) Titanium (Ti) Vanadium (V) Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si) 16
Sodium (Na) 3
Potassium (K) 12
Water (%) Coolant No
Fuel (%) 2
Soot (%) 0.1
Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg) 280
Calcium (Ca) 2680
Barium (Ba) Phosphorus (P) 1624
Zinc (Zn) 1942
Molybdenum (Mo) 2
Boron (B) 246

Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 12.2
Physical / Chemical
Base Number (mgKOH/g) 9.2

I think your "shearing" is primarily fuel dilution.
If it wasn't for that, the rate of TBN retention would allow a very long run, maybe 60-80000km.
I hold this oil in high esteem.

Charlie

Yes, I agree, looks very good.

I suspect the shearing is a combination of fuel and the HEUI; how much each one contributed would be hard to distinguish. I also susepct you won't see as much shearing with the 30 grade you put in. The HEUI PSD simply seems to prefer the ligher grades, and if you don't feed it one, it will make one for you.

Further, I don't think people should get too excited about shearing; typically it does not manifest itself in wear in a PSD, so what's the real concern? The ONLY reason to fear shearing is if it results in some type of degraded wear protection performance. Generally, that's not happening in the PSD UOAs we've seen here. (I would panic if I saw a 40 grade drop to a 15 grade, but from a 40 to a 30 still stays within the acceptable range for the engine, and the wear metals tell us all is fine).

That load you used performed very well; great oil. I suspect you'll see similar wear protection from the current load as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back