What can happen if the oil is overfull?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is some of the worst things than can happen if you have the oil overfull by a quart or 1.5 quarts?

I do have a siphon pump, shall i use it to remove a quart of oil ?

Aeration of the oil "bubbles", as well as it getting beat around by the crankshaft. Possibly pulling more oil in the PCV, and maybe burning more that loads up the rings.

A few off the top of my head. Probably a good idea to pull some out.

I`ve been told/read that the oem max recommended level will give you a leeway of about a quart or so.

the crank will churn air into the oil.

The oil will not be able to form an adequate hydrodynamic wedge and the air in the oil does not transfer heat as well.

If it burns a lot it can kill your cats, which is expensive to replace, plus foamy oil and all said above.
Ones I overfilled by accident, 5 minutes later, my car almost stalled at traffic light, took it back home and drained some oil. After was fine.

Quote:
I`ve been told/read that the oem max recommended level will give you a leeway of about a quart or so.

Yes, on level ground.

One of my brother's neighbors put oil in her car every time the oil light flashed.

Till the day it just wouldn't start. She drowned it in oil.

Most engines can tolerate 1/2 quarts overfilled, up to 1 quart in some engines, but not many engines will not perform at peak level with 1.5 quarts or more overfilled. If you overfilled by 1.5 quarts or more then you should siphon the extra from your engine.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Most engines can tolerate 1/2 quarts overfilled, up to 1 quart in some engines, but not many engines will not perform at peak level with 1.5 quarts or more overfilled. If you overfilled by 1.5 quarts or more then you should siphon the extra from your engine.

I agree 100%. The only time to fill with more than the factory specified amount is perhaps if you have a really worn engine and have suffered a significant loss in oil pressure compared to brand new. Even then, I wouldn't add more than a quart and it may even be better to switch to a thicker weight than adding more oil than spec.

just my .02 cents.

Originally Posted By: SuperFast
what is some of the worst things than can happen if you have the oil overfull by a quart or 1.5 quarts?

I do have a siphon pump, shall i use it to remove a quart of oil ?

How long has the oil been in there ?

If its nearly due for a change; just change it early and fill to the correct level.

If the oil has has several months of life to go,just change the oil filter but don't top up, that should bring the oil level down by 0.5L or so.

If the vehicle comsumes oil it will bring it down slowly, if your vehicle doesn't consume oil you better attend to immediately.

The 1 quart overfull I have never across, I guess there is some freeboard allownace for topping up, but I would not go over by more than 0.5 quart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dtt004
Hi.

I would have to say that, in modern cars, overfilling the crankcase puts more strain on the oil system.

Then it fails.

When you say it strains the oil system, what components and how by pressurising the crankcase ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back