Status
Not open for further replies.
Craftsman 31AS2S5D799
MSRP: $459.99

* Powerful engine for great performance, 179cc 4-cycle OHV Craftsman engine
* Easy start and operation with push button electric start
* Snow Claw™
* Large, 21" clearing width and 13" intake height
* Snow Claw™ auger propelled helps to throw snow farther out and discharge chute
* 8" x 1.5" wheels for easy mobility
* Mitten grip starter handle is easy to grasp while wearing gloves
* 2 quart fuel capacity

* Weight: 98 lbs.
* Some assembly required
* 2-year limited warranty

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07188780000P?mv=rr#desc

--------------------------------------------------------------

Toro Power-Clear 421
MSRP: $659.95 to $759.95 USD

* Toro 163cc 4-Cycle OHV Engine
* 21" Clearing Width
* Up to 35' Throw Distance*
* Power Propel
* 2-Year GTS® Promise
* Two Year Limited Warranty

http://www.toro.com/home/snowthrowers/gassinglestage/421.html

Your thoughts?

I would look right past those two and buy a Honda.

Just got done doing the snow with my 25+ year old Honda HS35, always starts on the first or second pull. It's a 4 stroke, so I get to change the oil! Untill the last change, it has always had PYB. Now it has PP in it. Has had two spark plugs and one auger rubber set in it's lifetime, nothing else.

My father in law has the Toro. Seems to have carb issues that cause it to be hard to start.

I've had 2 toros and they are outstanding. Hondas are great, but you pay dearly for the privilege. The one craftsman I had was always clogging and just didn't seem as well put together. I would buy another toro for sure.

Specs seen the same, so pay more if you feel the Toro name and build quality justify it. As above poster alluded to, the extra dough spent on a quality brand like Toro or Honda may make it more likely to get those extra years out of it.

I've got a MTD 2-stage that's into it's sixth winter. It's more comparable to the Craftsman then the Toro. Seems to be holding up OK. Paint beginning to flake causing some rust. Doubt it'll last 20 yrs, but prolly 12-15 or so which I'm fine with considering I paid substantially less than I would've paid for an Ariens(my second choice).

Go to this site: http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/, and read all kinds of info on the Toro and Honda single stage machines. As good as Honda is, it's not in the same league as a Toro 221/421.

I bought a Toro 221QE for $599.00 a week ago. Excellent machine for a single stage. I really doubt that there's anything out there that can touch it other than the 421.

Not much discussion about Craftsman SS machines. I have an old 1997 Craftsman 5/21 with the Tecumseh two cycle engine in it. It's fun to play with but in stock form it's nothing special.

Toro, great product. I have a 221e(2 cycle) and it handles all that I have thrown at it.

I had a toro, worked great for 4 years. Then I moved to California. Left it with my sister, who then gave it to my parents. It's now 14 years old and going strong still.

Just bought an Ariens beginning of December. Love it. But then any brand beats my shovel. My father has a Craftsman 2 stage thats probably around 8 years old, still running strong and also a MTD one stage two cycle he bought new in 1983. No joke, still running strong.

The Craftsman is likely an MTD with a Chinese engine, maybe a Briggs. Not even in the same league as a Toro product. You will not be disappointed in any way with The Toro.

Or you could by the Honda and put some people out of work and get less longevity than the Toro. Toro has been building snowblowers for 50+ years, they have it down pretty good. Ariens is also an excellent product in Snow Blowers, Probably the best(stay away from the "Sno-Tec").

go with the Toro.

Craftsman snow blowers are fair at best, not designed nearly as well as Toro.

I believe both of those machines are powered by Chondas.

That price is hard to beat....$200 cheaper than the Toro....slightly larger engine....very good reviews on Amazon.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
That price is hard to beat....$200 cheaper than the Toro....slightly larger engine....very good reviews on Amazon.

For the difference of $200.00, I'd go with the Toro. Wasn't too long ago when a 221QE was $899.00 and the 421QE a hundred more. If you can get either machine for less than $700.00, you'll be doing pretty good.

I just bought the 421R. Was looking for the 221 because I wanted the 2 stroke, but the dealer was sold out and this is the last year to get them. I was leery of the 421s because the 4 strokes are all Chinese made Loncin engines. A quick search on the internet calmed those fears, as they are apparently a pretty durable little engine. Starts right up, smooth and silky, as quiet as any Honda I've ever owned. Plenty of power, ripped right through an 8 inch snow pack including icy/compacted areas from the plows at the end of the driveway. Did my driveway and 2 neighbors in no time flat. Still humming away. Just changed the break-in oil to QS syn 5W-30 and it seemed to get even smoother and quieter. I bought the Toro over the Honda because Toro has spectacular dealer support and it was $65 cheaper than the Honda HS520 at my local shop. Would definitely buy it again, even over the Honda. BTW, the major carb issues are on the smaller Power Clear 180, which have been solved since the recall last June.

our craftsman snowblower is 3 years old or so, and it's definitely not been completely trouble free. Certainly not as much as it should be for a 3 year old machine. Wishing my parents had gotten a Toro or Ariens instead. Ugh.

I'd go toro... but thats just my opinion. I'd take toro over anything branded craftsman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back