Mixing Pennzoil Ultra & Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a newbie question. I started changing my own oil in my 2008 Honda Element last year. I have been using Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 and changing it every 5,000 miles per Honda's maintenance minder. The car has 45,000 miles on it.

This last change I went to 4 stores and could not find Pennzoil Ultra. Tired of the project, I bought Mobil 1. When I did the oil change, I realized I had a quart of Pennzoil Ultra, so I used it + 3.5 quarts of Mobil 1.

Afterwards I realized I may have made a mistake. I know oil is left in the sump, but I have read not to mix oils. Is what I did going to cause problems? Do I drain the oil and refill with the same brand?

Thanks for the help. My questions show my ignorance.

It's fine. I don't like to mix but i have, with no ill effects. Once filled a car with 4 different kinds of oil, it seemed to love it.

In my opinion, no. Mixing oils is quite common and if you read the label on the back of the bottles, it should say something to the extent of "Compatible with all conventional and synthetic oils". Rest well. You did not screw anything up.

Should not hurt anything. I've done it a number of times....with no ill effects.

My question is....Why 5K OCI with such a fine oil as PU ? With that OCI, just use a good dino (Mobi1 Clean 5000, PYB, VWB etc.) would suffice. Its just a waste of time and $$$ to do 5K OCI's on PU.

You should be able to do 7500+/- easily on M1 or PU....with a good mid-tier filter (PureOne, Wix or Napa Gold).

Last edited:
No problems at all, but the next time try the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20. Both of my Element run on it and neither us a drop. Great oil.

By the way, I gave up on Ultra six months ago when my local Walmart quit carrying it.

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the feedback. I went with Pennzoil Ultra after hearing a friend that worked at Shell rave about it. I am changing the oil at 5,000 so that the Honda warranty is not voided. Once I get out of warranty I will go longer.

Thanks for the tip on Pennzoil Platinum. That seems to be readily available.

At 5K i would just go with pennzoil yellow bottle. It's capable of handling 5k no problem. Out of warranty i would then use PP or Ultra.

Im excited to put a blend of SuperTech, Synpower and Royal Purple all 5w30 flavor in my yaris in a few weeks. I have a bunch of partial jugs that need to be thrown out. If I can upgrade the add pack of ST with Synpower and RP then Im more than happy to mix oils. My mix will be 1.5qt ST, 1.5qt Synpwr, 0.5qt RP. Very excited. Id rather just buy another jug of PP but I dont have room for it. So overall blending is fine, cant hurt a thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yaris0128
My mix will be 1.5qt ST, 1.5qt Synpwr, 0.5qt RP. Very excited.

So....Yaris....your vehicle only takes 3.5 quarts ???

I thought my 4.5 quarts was small....

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Yes sir!! If you think thats small my del sol takes 3.2qts!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

My old 1988 Subaru Justy only used 3 quarts in its 3 cylinder engine. I miss that car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back