KIA-APOLLOIL ATF RED-1K-[censored]??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at girlfriends 2007 KIA Sorento owners manual and it says to change ATF every 105,000 miles under normal maintenance schedule and every 18,000 miles under severe service. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Anyhow, She would probably fall under normal since most of her miles are highway....Approx. 65,000 miles on car.

Owners manual says to use: "APOLLLOIL ATF RED-1K". What in the heck is that? Sounds like something specific to KIA and only available at the dealer and would be higher than a Georgia pine. Entire system takes 10.5 qts. but I would drain it first to see how much I need to buy for make up.

So my questions are:
1. Good idea to change it soon?
2. Is there an equivalent to this "APOLLLOIL ATF RED-1K that I can use?

Please advise, thanks.

Changing it early definitely wont hurt the transmission. Changing it late will. I would stick to factory fluids to avoid any potential future problems using aftermarket fluids. You can always call Amsoil, Mobil 1, or whatever your brand of choice is and see if they have something compatible with that model's ATF fluid requirements. Does the KIA have the 10 Year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty?

Originally Posted By: 190E26FTW
Does the KIA have the 10 Year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty?

No, she's the second owner so just 60K on warranty. That's why I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. Not a lot of info on this ATF out there.

Any multi-vehicle universal full synthetic or blend ATF can be used. ATF RED-1K is Kia's equivalent for Nissan Matic J.

Ok good deal. Thanks guys. It appears AAP carries the Havoline products so I will check with them. Gotta be cheaper than the stealership.

As much as I keep up on this stuff, this is the first I've heard of RED-1K ATF!

I see from a quick search the Sorento 5spd AT is the A5SR1. I don't know where this unit came from, but assume it's some sort of Jatco, Mitsubishi or possibly Aisin-Warner derivative that Hyundai/Kia took over themselves.

Kia forums stress RED-1K or die (as is their custom).

I would use what unDummy suggests, or any quality bottled ATF that specs RED-1K right on the bottle or spec sheet, like that Castrol. I'm very surprised my tried and true Maxlife doesn't spec this particular ATF.

Joel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back