Non Name Brand Scooters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know if any of these scooters are good? They look too good to be true at $600 for some of them, when a comparable Honda or Yamaha would be $2000 to $3000.

HappyScooters.com

I was thinking of getting rid of my Kaw and getting a scooter or some other smaller bike to save on gas, but today I feel doubtful of it. I can envision impatient drivers tailgating me, honking their horn while I try to build up speed, while they talk on cell phones, etc.

Maybe I should keep the bike I got, which has plenty of power to stay out of other people's way [75 HP vs <10 HP with scooters]. I don't think it's going to cost me much more anyway unless I get into long distances, which I don't plan to do.

I have a JCL, the Chinese motor is bulletproof, 90mpg 38mph on a flat, 4800mi & I have saved many tanks of fuel doing short trips around town. The battery gave out after 2 years and the fork headset loosend and the rear brake drum is warped. I have hade no dependability issues I jump on, hit the starter and I'm off W.O.T. most the time. I paid $800 in 2007. I won't hesitate to get another if this one dies. I let neighbors & friends use it at will & they love it. I run M1 0w20 in it since break-in.

f04e47df.jpg

The scooters themselves are kinda' hit and miss. Like their Quality Control agent is the consumer.

Parts can be difficult to come by. Fortunately the powertrain on those scooters is typically Honda GY6 clone. You can get parts. But the scooter specific parts? [Gambling game where you throw dice] on those.

The dealers are the really sketchy part. A LOT of these chinabike dealers are outright rip-off artists. Caveat-Emptor.

I really liked the Lifan I rode. Nice little OHV Honda clone. Reminded me of the CB125-S I had when I was 15 but with better brakes. There is an American Lifan dealer in Dallas that actually has the bikes in stock and from my perspective, don't appear to be ripoff artists.

Last edited:
I used to work about 2.5 miles from my house. I used to say I should get a scooter to drive to work (traffic didn't allow for a bicycle or walking safely), but I never got one.

dont know about that brand, but bought my boy a bajha dirt bug mini bike for $200 new, i can only imagine the hrs hes put on it, never a problem, they offer scooters too

Parts are everywhere online dirt cheap. These chinese scooters are a great value for $600 to $800. If side streets are around it's a perfect commuter. Busy roads over 40mph you might want more than 3 HP. The 4 cycle torque converter motor (139QMB) is pretty much standard in all the off brands. The motors are about $300 dollars for the engine & transmission new and many vendors have them availiable. A 49cc motor can be re-jugged to 80cc for less $100.

50 to 80 cc

around here there is a used car dealer that sells them, and there was a detail shop/auto accessory, chrome wheel shop that sold them, but judging from the website, it looks like anyone can order a bunch and be a 'dealer' (hmmm, new business opportunity, wish I had a garage...)

There are many pop up dealers and I'v seen the come & go. The used car guys want $1200 to $1500 for what can be found for $600. Stay away from extended dealer warranty offers. Turn over in the business makes them useless. I can tell you the 49cc GY6 or 139QMB motor is very dependable. The only item that will need service is the oil & the belt.

Interesting replies. I may get one after all. I don't have to ride it during rush hour, and if they want to get impatient and honk their horns, let 'em. That thing will be just as legal as their 4 wheelers.

How many CCs is the 139 QMB motor?

Originally Posted By: bigbird_1
Unless it's made by Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki, it's [censored]!

Have to agree with Big Bird here. I've owned several different brands and have always gone back to Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki.
There's a guy across town that I know very well who has 27,000 miles (and still going) on a 49cc Honda Metropolitan. No engine work, just the usual tires, brake pad, belts, and rollers.

That's an amazing distance for a 49cc motor. I know fellow Honda Helix riders that have well over 100,000 miles on their scooters, but that's a Honda liquid-cooled 250.

I've never seen a 49cc Chinese scooter with very many miles on it. After 6-7k miles, they're usually done - if they make it that far.

I'm not trying do discourage anyone from buying a Chinese Scooter, but I would rather spend a little more and have one thats a lot better made and will last longer.
Besides, Honda Scooters come with an 'Unlimited Mileage' warranty period - how many others do that?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: helix_rider

I'm not trying do discourage anyone from buying a Chinese Scooter, but I would rather spend a little more and have one thats a lot better made and will last longer.
Besides, Honda Scooters come with an 'Unlimited Mileage' warranty period - how many others do that?

But it's not a little more. The Metropolitan 50 costs as much as some Chinese 250s (Helix/Elite250 clone motors)
The Elite (110) is more expensive than the Taiwan Republic of China made Genuine Buddy 125. Most scooter riders agree that the Genuine Scooters are very well built and the Buddy is better than the Elite. Even the real twist-grip shift steel body Vespa "Mods" will often ooh and ahh over the Indian made Genuine Stella.

Originally Posted By: helix_rider
Originally Posted By: bigbird_1
Unless it's made by Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki, it's [censored]!

Have to agree with Big Bird here. I've owned several different brands and have always gone back to Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki.

I respectfully disagree only to point out that Kymco (the Hyundai of scooters?) offer a two year warranty on their machines. Who else does that? They are significantly less expensive than their Japanese or European counterparts and have a real dealer network. The network is not as robust as the Japanese, but legitimate and growing.
I'm not speaking against the Japanese or European manufacturers, but feel that they are not the only game in town for a reliable, sustainable twist-n-go anymore.

Originally Posted By: WANG
I respectfully disagree only to point out that Kymco (the Hyundai of scooters?) offer a two year warranty on their machines. Who else does that? They are significantly less expensive than their Japanese or European counterparts and have a real dealer network. The network is not as robust as the Japanese, but legitimate and growing.
I'm not speaking against the Japanese or European manufacturers, but feel that they are not the only game in town for a reliable, sustainable twist-n-go anymore.

You're absolutely correct in that. It seems that the Kymco line has gotten some very good reviews. I agree with your comparison (to Hyundai) and these seem to be the exception. Let me note that I have nothing against Chinese scooters, i've just seen first-hand too many issues with reliability and durability with certain brands.

Most of my experience with the Chinese models is with Roketa - or any of 6 other names they slap on the exact same scooter.

A 2-year Warranty is nothing to sneeze at - they are quite confident in their models with their offering this.

One question, is there a mileage limit with this?

Last edited:
Kymco is the largest of Taiwan scooter makers, and has a contract to make engines for BMW.
A well thought of brand.
They have a 500CC scooter that I'd like to see imported if it's not already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back