Oil recommendation Mazda CX9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at changing my CX9 over to synthetic this weekend. its a 3.7L. Manual recommends 5w-20 year round. I am trying to decide between Mobil 1 5w-20 EP or Mobil 1 0w-20. I cant seem to find a VOA on the AFE 0w-20. So what does everyone think. The new girl has 23000 miles. I have been starting her all week in -25 weather to go to work by the way. In my part of town the temperature ranges from -25 winter to 95 summer, with extremes to -35 to 105.

castrol edge 5w20 would be my choice, ive ran it in my 08 escape 2.3, way quiter than M1 0w20 in my 08 mazda 6 2.3, and btr mpgs

Edge 5w20 seems to be popular around here, but the Mobil 1 0w20is a good choice too. I'd check the cold cranking values for each...should be a good indicator how it pumps when it's really really cold.

The waranty does not matter? Would suggest thinking about the 5 yrs 60k driveline waranty, could be important in such a difference in temp. area. They say 5-20 for a reason that might play a role if something goes wrong. IMHO Better safe than sorry.

Find some 0w-20 and drive happy knowing better protection and cold starting! I have some Mobil1 0w-20 waiting for my 3.7L also and I can't wait.

Autozone $29.99 for 5qts Mobil1 and a M1 filter.

I vote for the M1 0w20 AFE. AutoZone has it with a M1 Extended Performance oil filter (very high quality oil filter with, I think, some synthetic media in it) for just $30 until February 8th.

It's thought by some that perhaps it has a bit more PAO group IV basestock in it (not factual, just speculated) to achieve its spread and help with mpg goals the AFE strives for. There's really no detriment to using a 0w20 over a 5w20 as both are fully 20 weight viscosity oils at operating temperature, with the only difference being a bit better [really] cold, cold starting performance. Which could possibly help with startup wear in really really cold temps. The 0w20 is really a win-win choice imo. I say go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back