Snow Shovel - Metal or Plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, i'm going to replace my old/cracked/worn down snow shovel. Whether I need it again before warm weather or not, it needs to be replaced.

I went looking today and over half of the ones I was were plastic. Some had a metal strip for a blade, but the rest was plastic. At least most of them had wooden handles.

So - which is better? Sure, the plastic is lighter - but the metal should be more durable and last a lot longer.

Also - what about the ergonomically designed shovels/handles? Anyone try these?

I'd go metal. I shoveled a lot of pig pooh in my younger days and metal shovels always lasted longer. To me the main issue was I would invariably surpass the shovel's weight rating and the plastic ones would break around the handle. Or I'd hit something too hard and the shovel would crack. I wouldn't worry about the handle as I've never had an issue with wooden handles. I recently bought a metal Ridgid shovel from Home Depot for shoveling snow and its been working great. Lifetime Warranty.

I think the ones that use a light metal like aluminum that also won't rust is best. They might be hard to find.

The plastic ones with the metal "blade strip" quickly bend and distort where you can no longer scrap a smooth path. Atleast a metal one will keep an edge and could be ground smooth if every needed.

I've had plastic and steel. Still have an old steel one that must be 15 yrs old and have gone thru 2 or 3 plastic ones that only lasted a few snowdays.

The plastic with metal strip ones are a no-no. The strip always catches jamming the shovel and stressing the plastic. You'd think the strip would dig down to shiny pavement but it never works out right.

I would go by warranty and how likely the sticker looks to stick to the shovel so you can cash in the warranty. Get a couple and save the receipt. I got a $22 one from a mom & pop hardware store and it was the same junk (turns out) as a $7 walmart one.

When it comes for ice time I have a metal garden spade and a great wide mouth horse manure scooper, both metal. I wait to use them of course b/c it kills my shoulder to lift all day.

I think I would actually get an aluminum shovel with plastic strip so it doesn't catch! Don't think anyone makes them. Wet snow sticks to metal better too, aggravating.

I prefer an all plastic with a wood shaft and plastic handle. Metal and metal strip shovels just snag on everything if the surface isnt perfectly smooth.

Like someone else stated an aluminum one is best ours even had robust aluminum handles too!. Back in the early to late 80s before everything became plastic we bought a number of them and they lasted for over 25 years! Actually they would have lasted until today but we moved south and didn't need them anymore so we left them with the new owner of our house up north. LOL

Plastic for sure. I needed one on short notice when I bought my place 14 years ago, and thought I overpaid for the one I have. Best I ever owned. Still have it. Never again for metal.

Go buy a backpacking/camping shovel. They typically collapse but are super-strong and lightweight. I keep mine in the spare tire well. So far I have never needed to use it.

Mine is an Eddie Bauer one made of anodized aluminum. It's collapsible and comes with a small bag.

Right here

Last edited:
Go plastic and save yourself lifting thousands of extra pounds over the course of a long winter like this one. I've had to throw a lot of snow over a six-foot fence into our backyard this winter, and believe me every ounce counts when you're doing that for two or three hours. And, yes I do like the models with the S curved handle--much easier on the back, though for some applications you need a straight handle. One place is when you have to shave away at very hard snow piles and you need to push straight down with some weight behind it.

Not being able to find ANY metal snow shovels in my area for years now, I got fed-up and mail-ordered one from Amazon earlier this season. A good plastic one with a metal scraper bar is OK and definitely the best if you've got scooping and tossing to do, but they suck for scraping/pushing. This thing is the Cadillac of pushers. The only difference with mine is it's got a "D" handle at the end.

31CVzaHtoNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Joel

Last edited:
All steel, D-grip, hardwood handle.

Indestructible. I have one just like this.

It clears down to the bare concrete without complaining.

7004716.JPG

Wow, different stroke for different folks on this subject.

When I lived in Wisconsin, I did a lot of snow shoveling (too cheap to buy a snowblower, I guess).

I favored the heaviest, sturdiest shovel I could find. I found aluminum shovels to be too flimsy and plastic shovels were unable to chip through ice. Shovels with the bent "ergonomic" handles did not work for me; I couldn't get enough force into the blade to cut through compacted snow.

The one I got was heavy gauge steel with diagonal braces and weighed several pounds. I think McMaster's 6331A36 is the same model. To keep my hands from getting sore, I needed to add a D-handle to the end of the handle--fortunately I was able to transfer one from a plastic shovel that I destroyed.

I am a person who really muscles through snow. If I weren't as strong, I probably would have preferred something lighter.

Edit: While I wrote the above, I saw that JTK and mrsilv04 posted things exactly like what I describe. If you have (or want) good upper body strength, get one of those!

Last edited:
Seems everyone has an opinion!

Me, I like metal. I have a steel pusher shovel that's running on 11 years now, works like a champ. My other workhorse winter shovel is an aluminum grain shovel - picks up bulk snow and lets me throw it a good distance!

I usually keep a plastic one around for the wife, but I've broken every one I can buy within a few months...

Got a Suncast polycarbonate shovel at Costco, it's excellent. Besides being made in the USA it has a metal wear strip on the leading edge so it can bite through the snow & ice, yet the snow slips off the shovel easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back