Diesel Oils in gasoline passenger car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the diesel rated oils I see on the shelf might cause problems in my engine if I ran them in the crankcase? I am ignorant on this particular subject, so please let fly, as I need to know. I likely will never try it, but I need to know the positives and the negatives. Thanks.

seems as if hdeo in a modern gasser will cause cat issues, however many sware by it, i personally wouldnt do it in anything modern

There are plenty of diesel oils also certified SL for passenger car use. I'd also worry about the O2 and Cats, but really the amount of ZDDP in a current HDEO is the same as a passenger car oil before 2004.

Do some forum searching, this is covered daily (at least).

As noted above, most you'll see today on the shelf will have an API SM rating, which is nominally backward compatible to SH. I run it in my rebuilt Ford 289 for the add pack and the somewhat higher ZDDP.

Most garden variety retailers stock 15W-40 classic "dino" or 5W-40 "synthetic". I was able to special order Rotella T3 10W-30 at roughly $4/quart.

But certainly, the design center is for high compression diesel engines that normally create a boatload of heat

I've been running 15-40 Rotella for several years in my gasser F350 with no issues to date.
19.gif

I use HDEO in all of my fourstrokes..and only one is a diesel.
-Nemas problemas!
Its cheaper, stouter and comes in a big jug like 20 l (or 21-22 quarts). I have one oilburner due to a leaking intake manifold and it has flown through the last 4 emmissions test with very good results, about a 1/10 of allowable rates!
The only thing ive noticed is when i change oil, the HDEO comes out black and nasty but behaves just like it was new unlike "gas" oils that have kind of lost their "gluiness", hard to describe but new oil clings to skin and is very difficult to get of compared to old oil. HDEO is just as bad used.

I run AMSOIL HDD 5W-30 in my Honda Civic and have done so for a few years now with ZERO issues. It may be ever-so-slight overkill WRT what it actually needs but it likes the 5-30 viscosity range and I prefer running HDEO's when I can.

If it's a dual rated fleet oil, and has the appropriate "s" rating, then go ahead, in safety.

If it's only carrying diesel ratings, then steer clear of it.

Originally Posted By: sirgerman
MObil delvac 1300 safe to use in a gasser engine ?
how many miles will it last ? 5000 Miles in a good compromise ?

That depends. If the Delvac 1300 meets the what the manual calls for with respect to API and viscosity, sure. I use Delvac 1300 in my Audi in the summer, since it only calls for an API spec (no ILSAC or APEA) and since Delvac 1300 is SM it exceeds the engine's requirements, and 15w-40 is the preferred summer grade. Other than an HDEO, there aren't a lot of 15w-40 oils out there.

If your vehicle requires, say, an SM/GF-4 or better and a 5w-30 grade, well, Delvac 1300 isn't going to meet your requirements, and may be an issue under warranty. After warranty, it's up to you, and certainly depends upon the vehicle.

As for mileage, that's a shot in the dark. It depends upon how it's driven and what kind of a vehicle it is, which we don't know.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
HDD is the best oil I have poured in my Volvo. If your car needs a 5W-30 this oil is the bee's nuts.

Is this better than bee's knees?

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: Pablo
HDD is the best oil I have poured in my Volvo. If your car needs a 5W-30 this oil is the bee's nuts.

Is this better than bee's knees?

Yep, higher up the chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back