oil recommendation for 1994 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I am looking for oil advice on my 1994 Ford F150 A/T 5.0L 4wd with around 154k mi. I am in OH so temps range from 0F in the winter to 100F in the summer. I got the truck for free from my father-in-law when it had about 152k mi. He is not the first owner. I don't know how many miles it had on it when he got it, but he did remark that he doesn't remember ever changing the oil during the time he owned it *yikes* I changed the oil as soon as I got it and put in Castrol 10W-40 conventional. It's going to be due for another change soon which I will probably put off till the weather isn't so butt-cold up here. I would like to put full synthetic in but I have a leaking rear main seal and oil pan gasket to replace, so I may wait until those are fixed before I make the switch. I would be glad for any advice I can get regarding oil brand, type and grade for the truck! thanks!

also I plan to seafoam the crankcase as part of my ongoing campaign to get this thing fully repaired. I have a laundry list of other items (mostly not engine related) to fix on this thing if anyone is interested lol

I would run Motorcraft syn blend 5w30 and Motorcraft filters they will serve you well. We put over 200,000 miles each on a 1992, 1994, and 1996 f-150 service them regular and they will last.

Originally Posted By: mailman74
I would run Motorcraft syn blend 5w30 and Motorcraft filters they will serve you well.

+1

As you probably know 5W-20 has been the recommended grade for Ford F150's for many years now. It was probably 5W-30 when your truck was new.
Despite the oil leaks you have I'd recommend an inexpensive 5W-20 right now during the winter. If the leaks don't get any worse I'd stick with that grade otherwise I'd go with a 5W-30 but nothing heavier than that.
I'd stick with the lighter conventional oils first and move on to synthetic only if the leaks don't get any worse.

Good price great oil for your ford you will not do any better on syn unless you want to go longer on your oil change interval (oci).

Originally Posted By: Execut1ve
any reason for the synthetic blend? why not full synthetic?

Several reasons 1.) motorcraft syn blend is a very good oil. 2.)Honestly I dont think your truck would benefit from the full syn over motorcrafts blend. 3.)Motorcraft syn blend is very competitively priced from retailers like wal-mart and auto parts stores. Your truck will run very well on Motorcraft oil and filters , my fathers explorer 5.0 runs smooth as butter at 150k on motorcraft 5w-30 and motorcraft filters. We tried a OCI of pennzoil platinum in his 5.0 and while it ran great on it there was no difference in performance or mpg's just how much he paid for the oil. Go with Motorcraft 5w-30 and Motorcraft filter and forget about it for 5k miles and your 5.0 will thank you.

I plan to have the leaks fixed as soon as I'm able, just difficult to do a rear main seal & oil pan gasket without an engine hoist
frown.gif

so I've heard 5W-20 and 5W-30... which is the way to go? and I have no doubt in the quality of Motorcraft, people worship it over on the F150 forum I frequent

so I've heard 5W-20 and 5W-30... which is the way to go? and I have no doubt in the quality of Motorcraft, people worship it over on the F150 forum I frequent

that engine/yr ford specd 5w30

Any 5w-30 or 10-30 will be fine in it. I have a 89 and it was ran since new with oil ranging from 5w30- 10w40 and it never had a problem(this one burned oil since new but ford didnt fix it, IMO ford cant design a cylinder head that wont leak oil at 100k)

it leaks oil but does not burn oil. I get a healthy oil burning smell though because the leaking oil from the rear main seal and oil pan gasket drips onto the hot exhaust below. One of my main concerns with my current oil is cold starts; on colder winter days it struggles a bit getting started. I had read that full synthetics are much better, even if grade is unchanged, than conventional for cold starts. I hadn't read anything about blends so that's why I'm a bit uncertain

no doubt syn will produce a smoother start, most generally blends are 30% syn at best, to me a joke so to speak

Last edited:
glancing through the Motorcraft site it seems they do offer a full synthetic 5w-30, should I spring for that? or would I be better off with some other full synthetic

glancing through the Motorcraft site it seems they do offer a full synthetic 5w-30, should I spring for that? or would I be better off with some other full synthetic

better check the price of the full syn motorcraft, if it is as normal, i cant afford it! dude its a 94 w/ MILES its made it this far.................

Last edited:
so I should prepare for it to croak any time now? I don't understand what you're getting at

it being born in 94 i highly doubt it was fed full syn, and if it was i doubt that full syn would be anywhat syn by todays standard, im by no means saying its life is over! as i only buy fords and always have period! what im saying is, i bet its had a conventional 5 or 10 w 30 life and shes still going, i doubt she'll care if you put 5w30 or even 10w40 in her, dino blend or full syn, in other words its old and going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back