What Snow Blower Should I Buy For Home Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised at the positive comments about the craftsman. Maybe they are getting better? I have a 30 year old Ariens and i'll put it up against anything the same size, new or old. Its a real working machine and always starts on the 2nd pull. A new Ariens would be my first choice if buying new.

Originally Posted By: BadJack
I don't know who makes the best snow blower, but I have some information you can probably use. MTD is a snow blower manufacturer and they sell snow blowers under there own name and several others, and they sell to Sears for the Craftsman line. MTD has started having their snow blower engines manufactured in China. I think the name of the engine manufacturer is Powermore. They are priced real cheap, which makes them attractive, but they have the untested and cheap Chinese engine, which makes me suspicious of the quality and durability. I personally would look for a snow blower with a Briggs & Stratton engine. Snapper sells them, and so does Arien at Home Depot. A lot of people love the Arien snow blowers. Honda makes a nice snow blower, but your going to pay an arm and leg for one. Some of Honda's blowers are priced over $3,000..to expensive in my opinion....Your paying for a hydrostatic drive system and electric hand warmers.

I actually have one with the exact engine you are talking about, the 208cc OHV model. It has good power, and I agree it seems to have a mid range torque peak. The governer is a little screwy, it surges at maximum throttle. Cutting it down a tad fixes that for the most part. So far it isn't a bad engine. It actually runs very smooth now that i changed out the junk "torch" OE spark plug with an NGK plug, and running Syntec 5W-30 in it. Under load it is very loud though.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
I'm surprised at the positive comments about the craftsman. Maybe they are getting better? I have a 30 year old Ariens and i'll put it up against anything the same size, new or old. Its a real working machine and always starts on the 2nd pull. A new Ariens would be my first choice if buying new.

As noted, its the Murrey, reband (not an MTD)...and it has a B and S engine...just reporting what it does...

And for the record, I have a 1967 Gravely open-reel "DogEater" that would eat your Ariens, literally. That blower attachment alone weighs more than most complete machines produced these days...and its just 26 inch. Point being, comparing older, and typically better built, equipment to today's offerings is pointless since you can only get them used (and likely abused)...

Personaly, I'm discusted with the quality of the snow blowers that I am looking at these days. 10 years ago, I bought a 10hp/24" MTD for $700. It was nothing but a piece of junk after about the 4th year with everything breaking underneath. All return springs/clutch springs and cables, friction wheel is waring away along with the pullys. And I can't keep the belts on the pullys without viberating off. One thing after another!
I don't know what to make of all this. Always working on it and there is no hours to speek of over the years.

Had an Ariens for 20 years and it died. I have to say that it was a bit small for my needs and I worked it to it's death. It was a good little unit.

I have done all my own maintenance and repairs but the newer ones always seem to need something all the time prior to and during the winter. Just when you think they're ready for winter, something breaks again.

I'm just not trusting anything that I am looking at. They all look like junk! Maybe $700 isn't enough for a good unit.

Ya know, I don't mind a repair now and again but this all the time fixin' has got to stop.

I prep them in the fall prior to winter and make sure everthing is ship/shape and parts start falling off.

I remember years ago they were built like tanks...Real animals! Ran forever with little fuss. What happened? My buddy just got rid of his 30 year old TORO because only now it's giving him lot's of issues. Sure he has put money into it a little here and a little there but now after 30 years, it time for a new one. NO RUST on it! Looks great!

My 10 yr old MTD looks terrable. Full of rust and falling apart. I would like a new one but I'm not sure what to buy or how much to spend. Keep spending $700 every 9-10 years or 2K now? I ain't gettin any younger
frown.gif

I must say that with the Ariens, the chassis was fine but the motor was shot. In the MTD case, it's just the opposite. The motor is GREAT and the rest of the unit is falling apart.

Last edited:
I own a Simplicity 28" with 11 h.p. B&S Kool Bore engine. Great machine but over-kill for all but the most demanding conditions. Yesterday, I went to Home Depot and picked up a Toro 221QE single stage machine. We got about 5-6 inches of snow last night so, I'll be giving the Toro a work out today.

I bought a used Craftsman single stage machine a couple weeks ago just to see what these single stage machines can do. The Craftsman was a little anemic until I modified the governor to use it as a throttle. I'm thoroughly impressed with what they can do given enough power. Super light, very maneuverable and they clear down to bare pavement.

I'm certain the Toro, being much more advanced and probably stronger, will perform impressively. I'll report my finding after I clear the driveway today.

I will have to depart form the normal recommendations here.
5 yearsa go my Father in law gave me his 3hp 2 cycle single stage Toro because he wanted one with an electric start-cause he was 80 at the time. I laughed at it cause I have an Ariens. Here's the rub:
For virtually every storm I go grab the little 3 hp Toro-it is amazing the job those paddles do. A huge advantage when you are removing very wet snow or slush. This machine will shoot WATER it's that good. I've used it in up to 18 inch snowfalls. My 12 year old son who is not large by any means, is able to start and run it for all of the stroms this winter.
The only time the Ariens comes out is if we have over 12 inches for the wall the plows leave at the end of the driveway.

Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
I will have to depart form the normal recommendations here.
5 yearsa go my Father in law gave me his 3hp 2 cycle single stage Toro because he wanted one with an electric start-cause he was 80 at the time. I laughed at it cause I have an Ariens. Here's the rub:
For virtually every storm I go grab the little 3 hp Toro-it is amazing the job those paddles do. A huge advantage when you are removing very wet snow or slush. This machine will shoot WATER it's that good. I've used it in up to 18 inch snowfalls. My 12 year old son who is not large by any means, is able to start and run it for all of the stroms this winter.
The only time the Ariens comes out is if we have over 12 inches for the wall the plows leave at the end of the driveway.

Steve

I've finally come to the same realization. Single stage machines are literally fantastic little devices.

A few weeks ago, my interest was piqued to check out a very cheap used Craftsman 5/21 single stage machine with a 139cc Tecumseh two stroke engine. It wasn't in the greatest shape so, I did some work on it. cleaned the carb, repaired a broken motor mount then jury rigged a governor over-ride to juice up the horse power.

When finished, I took it out for a test run. I was thoroughly impressed. These things actually work. I will admit however, that without the governor over-ride, the machine is rather anemic. Crank up the revs and it throws snow like a champ.

I was so impressed with it, I went out and bought a brand new Toro 221QE single stage one day before we received a substantial snowfall. First thing I did was give it a good going over to ensure everything was put together properly then I attached a mini tachometer to set the engine governor to 4100 rpm. The next day, I took it out and after a few minutes of clearing the driveway, realized that my relatively new 11 h.p., 28" Simplicity won't be seeing too much action from here on. It's going to take some very serious snow accumulation to challenge the Toro.

Do not underestimate the effectiveness and ease of use of a single stage machine. They're far easier to handle and can move all types of snow with impressive efficiency.

Glad you guys enjoy your single stages- I am not going to buy one anytime soon. They are good for surface cleaning, but not as impressive as a 2-Stage for moving wet & partially frozen snow. I had a 109cc 2-Stroke Lawn Boy growing up in Michigan, and ended up shoveling a driveway all the time that was large enough to park 10 full-size cars. I am sure they have improved, but so have 2-Stages. My neighbor had a Toro single stage that was not cutting it with our snowfall (wet)and upgraded to a 8Hp Toro 2-stage, I watched him sawing back and forth, and thought that looks more tiring than my 2-stage with auto-turn, and a gearbox that I can adjust speed with. Once weight becomes an issue, pay someone to plow your driveway.

That single stage machine isn't in top form. Neither is the operator's technique. From what I see in that video, my single stage out-throws that machine by a fair amount.

I own a fairly new 11/28 Simplicity two stage and a 221QE single stage. From my experience, 95% of the time the Toro will do the job as effectively with much less operator effort than using the much larger and heavier two stage machine.

However, if I decide it's time to clear a field instead of my driveway, I'll take the Simplicity out.

The only thing I ever noted about smaller single stages is that most have a limited side to side discharge, limiting where you can blow the snow to. This could pose a problem if you can't get the snow away from you.

I've only used a couple older 2-stroke Toro's, but they worked.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
The only thing I ever noted about smaller single stages is that most have a limited side to side discharge, limiting where you can blow the snow to. This could pose a problem if you can't get the snow away from you.

I've only used a couple older 2-stroke Toro's, but they worked.

The newer Toro 221 and 421 have excellent directional discharge control. The Quick Shoot feature is very slick.

Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
'Nuff said...

That's the 24 inch Snowtek (by Ariens) in that vid that you can buy for $700 or less. Had it out today after a major storm and it performed beautifully. I love that sound of that engine
grin2.gif

I bought a John Deere 827 in January 2010. It moves snow like a champ. It has a Briggs OHV on it which seems to run fine. We just got done with a blizzard event here with 15" on the level with 3 foot drifts in some spots. This model throws snow a long way, 4 times as far as my neighbors Toro 8hp Storm. I am using Delo 400 Synthetic 0W30 HDEO which I had to order through a distributor. I am also using the same oil in the JD Garden Tractor with a blade. Neither engine uses any oil. I have had a couple minor irritations with the JD such as the need for washers under the thumb screws for the carb housing which vibrated off but fixed now. But, all in all, this is not a cheap machine, but it does work.

Don't get me wrong, single stage machines have their place for snow removal on most winters. However with the winter we have been having in CT, a single stage wouldn't cut it. The January 12th storm made my driveway have 3 feet deep of city plow "drive by" blocking the entrance. It was heavy wet snow with ice chunks in it. My 2 stage definitely earned it's stripes on that storm. What a beating it is taking this winter.

Yeah, I'll take the 2 stage any day as I have that much snow(in the video) especially down at the end of the driveway where the town plows,(as they pass the house) leave drifts up to my knees and higher.

There too,($600) is where you are paying for the TORO name as compared to the Ariens(China Tek). I'd take the SnoTek even though it will probably need fixing regualarly after 5 years just like my MTD. Even looks like my MTD! About that size. What a POS!

I've seen larger single stage blowers in years past but, comparing $600 blowers, I'll take the 2 stage.

yeah I just dug out with my 11hp- Toro. Drifts were 3.5-4' No joke. End of the driveway was a killer It was a struggle. I used every bit of what that thing could do. My coworkers & neighbors laughed when I bought it this year-my neighbors were not today when I helped them with driveways-sidewalk and even plowing the street!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back