How do you change a filter without making a mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if there's a vacuum extractor that can be picked up retail? LiquiVac's website says their product is at Lowes and HD but in fact they only seem to stock the 3qt one for OPE.

Originally Posted By: insomnia
Car: 00 Camry LE - 5S-fe

It's a upside down filter. I was told pureone filters can trap oil inside, but it just never works for me. Every filter change oil just drips down the engine block. Some of my friends told me I can just poke couple small holes on the filter, so the oil can drain out of the filter. But wouldn't that cause problems?

Also, is it okay if I just don't prime my filter?

Thanks
I run P1s and yes, they do "trap" the oil inside. I've never had one gush on me during removal. Priming isn't necessary, but some people do it. Your choice.

I let the car (99 Camry 5sfe) cool down for 20-30 minutes. This way I don't burn myself touching the exhaust shield, the oil cools down a little so it won't burn, the filter will be easier to remove with my hands, and the oil will drain from the filter (at least the shaft part).
I've only used P1, and with one exception, I don't get a single drop of oil spilling over the engine. The exception was one time when I started the engine to move my car a little, I didn't wait so it resulted in lots of spilled oil.
The filter will still contain oil.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: calvin1
Does anyone know if there's a vacuum extractor that can be picked up retail? LiquiVac's website says their product is at Lowes and HD but in fact they only seem to stock the 3qt one for OPE.
*bump* If anyone is interested I found that my Tractor Supply stocks the 8qt LiquiVac extractor $50

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I've been changing my own oil since 1956, if you can find the answer to your question PLEASE let the world know.

Best I've found it to wrap the filter with an old shirt after it loose then remove it the rest of the way. Thank goodness for GoodWill.

Indeed!

Place the pan in direct line with the oil filter. Slowly crack open the filter a bit and catch the drizzle. Use alot of rags and move out of the way!

Last edited:
I've tried to take my time to carefully change the oil & filter trying not to make a mess.
- I have knocked the oil catch pan after the drain just to get a tsunami wave escape over the pan edge = oil mess
- I got to where I was pouring oil from my catch pan, funnel, into a jug, then the funnel fell over = oil mess.
- I have made it as far as the jug; jug slipped from my hand and dropped on the garage floor = oil mess
- I did make it once with the used oil in the jug and the jug safely sitting on the lower work shelf. But notice in about a week the jug level was low... bottom seam of the jug was cracked = oil mess.
- - I took it in once (lazy) to get the oil & filter changed = clean garage floor. Kind of had a guilty feeling for a bit not messing up the garage floor.

I hate when I pull the drain plug and either I completely miss the oil pan at the start, or it gushes hot oil on my arm, better yet both. Then get it under control just to kick the catch pan by mistake. Yeah I still have the old open top catch pan that I thought I was going to replace after the one time I dropped it full of oil walking it across the garage. Not all of it got on the garage floor because the wife had the laundry basket full of clothes - was in the way of the main splash. It was impossible to get away with that one. Now when I do a change, I pull the vehicle part way into the garage so only my stuff gets oiled.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
I've tried to take my time to carefully change the oil & filter trying not to make a mess.
- I have knocked the oil catch pan after the drain just to get a tsunami wave escape over the pan edge = oil mess
- I got to where I was pouring oil from my catch pan, funnel, into a jug, then the funnel fell over = oil mess.
- I have made it as far as the jug; jug slipped from my hand and dropped on the garage floor = oil mess
- I did make it once with the used oil in the jug and the jug safely sitting on the lower work shelf. But notice in about a week the jug level was low... bottom seam of the jug was cracked = oil mess.
- - I took it in once (lazy) to get the oil & filter changed = clean garage floor. Kind of had a guilty feeling for a bit not messing up the garage floor.

I hate when I pull the drain plug and either I completely miss the oil pan at the start, or it gushes hot oil on my arm, better yet both. Then get it under control just to kick the catch pan by mistake. Yeah I still have the old open top catch pan that I thought I was going to replace after the one time I dropped it full of oil walking it across the garage. Not all of it got on the garage floor because the wife had the laundry basket full of clothes - was in the way of the main splash. It was impossible to get away with that one. Now when I do a change, I pull the vehicle part way into the garage so only my stuff gets oiled.

That's funny...LOL

Man, I have so many old stories from my youth that sound similar. I've been pretty clean these days...Little spill here and there but that's it.

Last edited:
Make sure you remove the oil fill cap before you drain the oil from both the plug and filter. That can make a huge difference in how much comes out after you remove the filter.

On the cars that I do oil changes on (4 out of 5 are vertical, one is semi bottom-down), the best way I can try to minimize the mess is to cut a windshield wiper fluid container in half and try to put it under the filter. Of course, I still have to use a rag or something while unscrewing the filter as some oil will drip off the sides.

My dad's '93 Saturn SL2 is the worst as the filter is up in the engine and there is no way to catch it except to let it all fall. Luckily he drives it MAYBE 1K a year so its on a 2-year OCI.

Originally Posted By: Errtt

Now THAT was hilarious. +1

Guys, here is my procedure, anything that I could change?:

-I warm the car for about 15 minutes prior to changing the oil. I've already positioned the vehicle on the ramps I use to raise the car(park break applied, wheels chocked etc.)

-Immediately after turning off the engine from warming, I pull the drain plug on the pan(already having catch pan in place) and after most is already out I proceed to remove the oil filter as well. All the while, I've removed the oil filler cap and pulled the dipstick out prior to removing the plug.

-Before going further, I clean off the oil filter location and wipe away any signs of oil from under the car(some previous caking from years back that is annoying me etc lol)

-After draining for at least 30 minutes, I install a new oil filter(gasket primed with new oil and I usually pour in about a 1/4th of a Quart to soak into the new filter media).

-Re-insert oil drain plug and tighten to spec.

-Fill engine with fresh oil to spec, tighten cap and re-insert dipstick.

-Remove chocks, put car into Neutral, release the park break, and slide safely off the ramps

-Re-start engine and idle back to full temp, then turn car off and look for any fresh oil leaking at the plug or filter; monitor oil level for the first week afterward and be aware of any new oil slick spots under the car where it's typically parked.

-Then can't wait to do it all over again! lol

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Guys, here is my procedure, anything that I could change?:

-I warm the car for about 15 minutes prior to changing the oil. I've already positioned the vehicle on the ramps I use to raise the car(park break applied, wheels chocked etc.)

-Immediately after turning off the engine from warming, I pull the drain plug on the pan(already having catch pan in place) and after most is already out I proceed to remove the oil filter as well. All the while, I've removed the oil filler cap and pulled the dipstick out prior to removing the plug.

-Before going further, I clean off the oil filter location and wipe away any signs of oil from under the car(some previous caking from years back that is annoying me etc lol)

-After draining for at least 30 minutes, I install a new oil filter(gasket primed with new oil and I usually pour in about a 1/4th of a Quart to soak into the new filter media).

-Re-insert oil drain plug and tighten to spec.

-Fill engine with fresh oil to spec, tighten cap and re-insert dipstick.

-Remove chocks, put car into Neutral, release the park break, and slide safely off the ramps

-Re-start engine and idle back to full temp, then turn car off and look for any fresh oil leaking at the plug or filter; monitor oil level for the first week afterward and be aware of any new oil slick spots under the car where it's typically parked.

-Then can't wait to do it all over again! lol

That's pretty much what I do too. I also try really hard to not stock up on oil and filters.

I also try really hard to not stock up on oil and filters.

If you have a chance to buy Valvoline Synpower for less than $1/qt after rebate you still refuse to stock up ? How about FAR, your cost is sale tax and a stamp ?

I replace the oil filter first, pre-filled of course, then drain the old oil. That way I don't have a full drain pan to worry about and can use it to drop the hot filter into.

That's pretty much what I do too. I also try really hard to not stock up on oil and filters.

I'm not very stocked. At most, I'll be stocked for an oil change for each car. I change between Pure1, Wix/Napa Gold, etc. for oil filters and oils are anything from a HM, to a good fully synthetic.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

If you have a chance to buy Valvoline Synpower for less than $1/qt after rebate you still refuse to stock up ? How about FAR, your cost is sale tax and a stamp ?

I just got the MaxLife deal and I'm waiting on the rebate. Afterwards, I've got 15 Quarts for $1.58 per Quart.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
I replace the oil filter first, pre-filled of course, then drain the old oil. That way I don't have a full drain pan to worry about and can use it to drop the hot filter into.

If I have an oil filter that is hard to get to/remove, I'd use this method. Otherwise, I do the plug on the pan first because I like to see the extra oil that comes out of the pan when I remove the oil filter. Gives you that kind of, good now I know it's finished released the bulk of the old stuff, feeling. lol

On my current car there is no extra oil coming out after I remove the filter.

I like to get the car started again and purged of air within an hour or two while there is still plenty of oil in the bearings and cams. Getting every drop out is not worth leaving it overnight, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
On my current car there is no extra oil coming out after I remove the filter.

I like to get the car started again and purged of air within an hour or two while there is still plenty of oil in the bearings and cams. Getting every drop out is not worth leaving it overnight, IMO.

I agree. I don't leave it for hours, maybe 2 or 3 at most only if I've used some kind of a flush, no way over night. I mention the extra oil because for some reason(not sure what is actually happening that is) a small amount of old oil will come out of the pan after I remove the filter.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I also try really hard to not stock up on oil and filters.

Where? What did I miss?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

I just got the MaxLife deal and I'm waiting on the rebate. Afterwards, I've got 15 Quarts for $1.58 per Quart.

Where? How? How did I miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back