Using non-Dexos oil in a new GM????

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I bought a new Chevy Cruze today after test driving it.
It was hard to pass up with $4k OFF due to the GM card and
owner loyalty. I was impressed with the quality feel of the car.

I know there is a thread on Dexos but I was wondering if using non-Dexos PP, QSTP synthetic, Valvoline Synpower or Mobil 1 SL 0W30 would be a problem. (I have a lot of these oils from sales etc....) What are your thoughts? Any harm?

Hi.

No harm at all.

In my opinion DEXOS was implemented by GM...for no logical reason other than financial gain. But of course, that's merely my opinion. If I [censored] anybody off then whatever.

Like the automotive companies, the energy companies also have brilliant engineers that know a thing or two when designing a lubricant to meet the demands of consumers today.

So, it's safe to say that those engineers are not out to wreak your engine if you use their non-DEXOS oil. All those oils you listed are excellent.

My local dealership told me ANY synthetic should be fine.

They just had a guy bring in his own oil for his Nox.....Wolf's head full syn-and they put it in with no problems...

Originally Posted By: dtt004
Hi.

No harm at all.

In my opinion DEXOS was implemented by GM...for no logical reason other than financial gain. But of course, that's merely my opinion. If I [censored] anybody off then whatever.

Like the automotive companies, the energy companies also have brilliant engineers that know a thing or two when designing a lubricant to meet the demands of consumers today.

So, it's safe to say that those engineers are not out to wreak your engine if you use their non-DEXOS oil. All those oils you listed are excellent.

True...plus those Ecotec engines can take a lot of abuse...I don't think they are going to panic if you don't use a dexos one..

I agree that using non Dexos oils such as PP, Synpower, M1 0W30 ... will not do any harm to the Chevy Cruze engine. But during the warranty period I would not take any chance that they may decline the engine warranty if you don't have receipts that you use correct oil.

Great car! My parents will be buying one this week.

Did you pick up the 1.8 or 1.4T? If you picked up the 1.4T. What is the sump size?

Will you be doing your own oil changes? Will you be following the OLM?

I have been trying to find Dexos labeled oil for my 2011 GM, and no luck at any of the stores I have stopped at. I will probably just use PP GF-5 unless I feel like hitting the dealer and trying some AC Delco branded syn blend!

My understanding is that most of the synthetics like PP and QSUD met Dexos performance spec even if not licensed yet. Congrats on the car. Have you posted a separate thread about your new Cruze yet? What model did you get? You should post a complete evaluation with pics.

I just read that you said that you already had a stash before they came out with Dexos. You should be good to go. Honestly, I think the goal of Dexos is to recommend oils to keep the engine clean and operational and to prevent oil related failures, so you should be good to go.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
I just read that you said that you already had a stash before they came out with Dexos. You should be good to go. Honestly, I think the goal of Dexos is to recommend oils to keep the engine clean and operational and to prevent oil related failures, so you should be good to go.

+1

If I'm not mistaken, the owners manual says something to the effect:
'If Dexos oil is not available, any good quality oil of proper grade and weight is acceptable.'

It looks like Liqui Moly has dexos1 oil now.
banana2.gif

Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic would be my choice if my engine require dexos. Walmart here got it on clearn for 8 dollar gallon couple time.

From the manual:
Quote:
Use of Substitute Engine Oils if
dexos is unavailable: In the event
that dexos‐approved engine oil is
not available at an oil change or
for maintaining proper oil level,
you may use substitute engine oil
displaying the API Starburst symbol
and of SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade.
Use of oils that do not meet the
dexos specification, however, may
result in reduced performance under
certain circumstances.

Feel free to use your stash! It sounds like it's all synthetic, so you're definitely good to go.

Since dexco oil is readily available, I would certainly use it. Another reason to not go crazy with huge oil stash IMO. Ed

Last edited:
I asked Pennziol and GM Dexos info using their contact. Here's what I got. I think the best guess would be the PP oil that will carry the logo will be no different than before.

Response from Penn.
Q - Is there any difference between the Platinum 5w-30 currently
found on shelves vs the Platinum that will soon be found with the Dexos1 logo?

A- We have been blending the Pennzoil Platinum Motor Oil SAE 5W-30 since March of 2010. As a result any purchase of the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 since then has met the GM Dexos 1. If you go to our Pennzoil or the GM website you can find the information regarding its applicability for Dexos 1.

Response from GM Dexos Info Center:

Q1 - 1. When will we start seeing the logo on retail containers in stores? None of the approved containers show it as of yet.

A1 - You should start seeing the dexos™ logo on containers in retail outlets very soon. Some suppliers have tried to coordinate with GF-5 so there is only one label change rather than multiple changes. Also, there will be a slight lag as inventory is being depleted and the pipeline is being filled.

Q2- For the list approved oils such as Penn Plat, Mobil1 is there a formulation difference between current product on the shelf w/o logo verses the product that will hopefully soon carry the approval logo? In other words, did they have to change anything or did there product already meat Dexos1?

A2 - Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum should meet the dexos specification. Since formulations are considered proprietary by the oil companies, we are not able to discuss specifics, changes or other details. It’s worth pointing out though that dexos licensed products are monitored for field quality by a third party, the formulations are registered / certified and they are traceable back to the raw materials. Those not registered do not meet all these criteria.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
Funny thing about that list. It says that Mobil 1 ESP 0W40 is 5W30.

There is no Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40. It's a typo under the brand listing, the viscosity listing is correct. The Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is the same stuff that has been out a while to cover the Volkswagen 504.00/507.00 specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back