Toro CCR Powerlite snowthrower won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small Toro CCR Powerlite snowthrower that's not working. I last used it a few weeks ago and it ran out of gas right when I was finishing up. When I got it out this past weekend, I filled it with freshly-mixed gas but could not get it to start. It's as dead as a doornail, almost as if I didn't have the key turned to the start position, although I did. Even after letting the gas sit in it for a day, it still would not start. It was properly primed and the choke lever was in the right position. With the upcoming winter storm that's supposed to roll through here tomorrow night, I was going to spend some time trying to get it running tonight. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might want to check out and focus on?

Does it have a deadman control? Spark when turning over?

I had a toro 2 stage that had several ridiculous deadmen controls that would let it idle so long as the auger was disengaged and the thing in neutral. Otherwise you had to have your hand on a grip with a third switch. Any switch goes wacky and it'd stall.

First thing to do is to confirm that you have spark. If so, next step is to check your fuel system. Follow the fuel. If you have fuel getting to the carb, then there's a chance the carb float needle isn't allowing fuel into the float bowl. Being that you ran the machine dry and left it, the float needle may have frozen into the float seat but being that the float blow should have been empty, the float needle should have been left in the open position.

There also may be a chance that you have ice in the float bowl or fuel line if the machine is kept in place where it's below freezing. Try bringing it into a warm place and allow it to thaw. Then check your fuel system again. Drain the float bowl then drain some fuel vial the fuel line into a clear container and inspect for water/debris.

I'd be willing to bet that your problem is either water or dirt. If it's dirt, you may have to clean the carb but, I doubt it is dirt. Most machines have a small in-line fuel filter that would capture dirt.

I'm leaning toward water/ice being the problem.

Either you're not getting spark or not getting fuel. First, though, if you can, it wouldn't hurt to bring it inside for a few hours to thaw out, perhaps something is frozen where it shouldn't be.

One other off-the-wall thing is that the butterfly may not be attached to the choke lever. This happened to me with my Toro a couple of years ago and to this day, I still have no idea how the plate came out of the slot but it did. In my case, the butterfly stayed closed so I was able to start it, but it wouldn't run once warmed-up, but you may have the opposite problem.

I'd see if thawing works first, though, before disassembling the thing.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I know it's not the deadman's control because this blower doesn't have one. When the engine's running, so is the auger.

I was going to pick up some starter fluid tonight. I too have experience no-starts until using some fluid and after a few times it ran fine from there.

I hadn't thought about water/ice being an issue. I do store it in the garage where it's always cold. I called my wife and asked her to bring it into the house until I get home. Fingers crossed that it'll be a quick/simple "fix" like that.

Question, albeit a dumb one... how exactly to I check for a spark? Remove the plug from the motor, attach the wire, and give her a pull?

I was given one of those a couple of years ago. The original owner for whatever reason was always having fuel issues. I also remember her saying that they would bring it in the house to warm it up to sometimes get it to run. I would pull the plug and put a couple of drops of your gas/oil mixture in the engine and reinstall the plug and see what happens. If it fires then it's your fuel line plugged somewhere. I usually give mine a regular dose of seafoam to keep it running. Good Luck.

how exactly to I check for a spark? Remove the plug from the motor, attach the wire, and give her a pull?

Yes. If it's dark you'll see a spark jumping the gap. Even if it's light you should as well. Make sure the ground electrode (threaded and L shaped part) is touching the engine block/head.

No spark might mean there is an off switch somewhere that is open or the wire is shorted. Basically the way this works is when turned to "off" the switch is actually "on" and creating a path for the electricity to flow through instead of across the spark plug.

Who knows, when you get the plug off it might be so crusty that the short is there as well.

It's snowing here, the clock is ticking.

After sitting in the house for the afternoon, when I got home from work, I took the snowblower outside and gave it a whirl. It would start for a fraction of a second after giving it a yank, which is an improvement, but won't do the job (obviously). That seams to rule out a spark issue. After I eat dinner I'm going to look at it some more and check out the fuel situation. Maybe I'll run up to the nearby O'Reilly and pick up a can of the spray starting fluid and give it a try. Other thoughts now that a potential spark problem has been ruled out?

Don't sweat the spark issue. If the engine is firing, the ignition is probably fine.

Drain your fuel and drain the float bowl of the carb. I'm betting you have water in the carb. Lots of water. After draining the carb, drain the fuel tank via the fuel line to the carb and collect the fuel in a glass jar. Allow it to settle for a minute and look for water.

By the way, don't bother with starter sprays. That will not solve your problem.

If you are going to O'Reilly's go ahead and get a new plug. Try the starting fluid and replace the plug, or do both. Sometimes the plug looks OK but isn't. Same for inline filter if you have one.

OP Update: So, what I've found is that when I press the priming bulb, I hear the hiss/puff of air, but the carburetor doesn't fill with any gas. Normally I would also hear some bubbling as gas is dispensed into it. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with all this to know what to do next. Hmm...

Originally Posted By: barlowc
OP Update: So, what I've found is that when I press the priming bulb, I hear the hiss/puff of air, but the carburetor doesn't fill with any gas. Normally I would also hear some bubbling as gas is dispensed into it. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with all this to know what to do next. Hmm...

Not to be rude, but, it's time for less questions and more action.

Roll up your sleeves and take the top off of the machine. Pull the fuel line off of the carb and drain the fuel from the fuel tank. Pull the float bowl off of the carb by removing the bolt on the bottom of the carb. Be prepared for fuel/water to come out. Keep a rag handy to absorb it. If you tilt the machine forward onto the bucket, it will be easier to work on. Be careful removing the float bowl. It might be a bit tight and need a bit of twisting force to remove it. You don't want to handle the float mechanism roughly.

It might be a good idea to capture the fuel from the float bowl into a container so that you can see if the fuel was contaminated with water.

While you're in there, inspect the primer line and check the fuel line and primer line for cracks around the connections. Cut off cracked sections and put them back on.

Put the carb back together and connect the fuel line. Put some fuel in the tank, prime the carb and test fire before putting the cover back on. Let us know how it goes.

There are "how to" videos on how to work on these machines. Might help you to look at a few before you tie into it.

Another very good source for information is at the following link:

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Not to be rude, but, it's time for less questions and more action.

I know, I know, I know... and agree with you. I tried some starter spray and it gets the machine running for about 5 seconds, but then it dies. I did that about a half dozen times. Looks like I'm going to have to tear it all apart tomorrow evening and do the thorough job you outline.

Not being familiar with your particular model, but there might be a cover on the back of the machine over the carb. If it does, the choke lever will be sticking out through it. Remove that cover when you do the carb work. It will be easier to do. You probably don't need to remove the entire carb. Just remove the float bowl, drain the fuel that's in it and put it back on. Don't over-tighten the bolt. Check the fuel and primer lines, put fresh fuel in it and give it a shot.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
You probably don't need to remove the entire carb. Just remove the float bowl, drain the fuel that's in it and put it back on. Don't over-tighten the bolt. Check the fuel and primer lines, put fresh fuel in it and give it a shot.

I stayed up late last night and did all this. Removed the panel to access the carb. Removed the screw on the bottom of the bowl, during which all the fuel drained out. How much fuel would be normal? I'm pretty sure the entire tank drained. Once the fuel was drained I removed the bowl, checked and cleaned everything, and put it back together. I checked the primer bulb and line; everything seemed OK. I still notice that when I press the primer bulb, there's a hiss of air, but no bubbling sound of fuel. And the snow is coming down.
cry.gif

Is the primer fuel line properly connected inside the fuel tank? Almost sounds like the fuel pick up might have fallen off inside the tank.

I assume you re-filled the tank. Suggest you drain it to see if your primer line is properly connected. Have you tried to hold your finger over the carb end of the primer line to see if it's pushing air? If it isn't, the primer diaphragm might be shot.

If the primer is shot, you can dribble a bit of gasoline down the carburetor intake manually and try to start the machine. Do that and see if it runs. If it does, the starting problem might be related to the primer. If it fails to run, you probably have other carb related issues that might necessitate cleaning of the carb.

If you can get the main jet out of the carb that might help you a lot. It usually is about 5/16" on the bottom and has flats for a flat screwdriver and a hole up the middle and a couple tiny holes in the sides.

I like to wear my goggles and put a spray can of brake/carb cleaner (maybe with the red hose) up against the jet and force cleaner through under pressure.

I have also actually had good luck with starting spray (I pull the plug on {tecumseh} flatheads and spray it in on and around the valves visible) as sometimes you need the engine spinning faster than the starter rope can do things to suck "whatever" through the carb and get things rolling. Or if you can get a straight shot in the carb just spritz it and try and wean the thing off it (but you often have the choke plate in the way, and some would argue a backfire would burn the place down.)

Primer fuel line? The priming bulb has a hose connected to it and then connects to the carb on the other end. The fuel tank has a hose connected to it which also connects to the carb on the other end. What is the primer fuel line?

The primer bulb does push air through. And starter spray gets it going for a few seconds, but then it dies. I imagine gasoline down the carburetor intake would do the same.

Any thoughts on what you cause pressing the primer bulb to produce the hiss of air but no bubbling sound of fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back