2007 Cummins 6.7 Fedex Package Van

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me know what you guys think..

This is a FedEx package van. Heavily loaded from the time it leaves till the time it returns. Idles a lot - no exact hours. Truck leaves at 7:30 AM and returns 11.5 hours later. Obviously it does not idle all day, but this truck probably idles 7 hours/day. Probably shuts down, and starts 100 plus times per day.

Once I get the amounts used for top off I will update the post.

Need any other info let me know! Thanks in advance.

Google Doc. 2007 Cummins 6.7L FedEx Package Van UOA

That is quite amazing. I am not sure I understand do you take care of your own truck or does FedEx use Amsoil? If so, it is a testimonial waiting to happen. That is one of the best UOA's on here considering the pounding the oil would take in an app. like yours.

Can someone dig up a UOA on here that is that good (at any mileage) in an engine that takes so much "abuse"? Let me know? It is almost so hard to believe, I would consider paying for a second opinion.

The whole FedEx Ground and Home Delivery Division Are Independent Contractors. They are responsible for maintaining their own trucks. I have a few FedEx accounts at the local terminal, with only one of them choosing to do oil analysis.

Maybe next go around we will try another analysis company.(Blackstone?) This will be solely up to the customer as it is an Amsoil Commercial account and gets discounts on oil analysis kits and results usually within a day or two.

In addition my customer is going to change the filter (Donaldson Standard)and top off within the next week or two. The filter now is whatever the local mechanic uses. Likely a Fleetguard.

Here, lets see if this works so everyone can see it better.

FEDEXUOA.jpg

Wear metals look decent but Fe could be better. 43ppm in only 11k miles is not great, but not horrid.

TBN is a concern. At 4.4k miles it dropped to 7.8. Now, a bit more than 6.6k miles later, it's down to 4.4. If the TBN degredation is fairly linear, then I wonder how long this load can last? 15K? a bit more?

Being a 6.7L, I presume it has a regen cycle with DPF? If so, it must not see many cycles, because the fuel is low.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Wear metals look decent but Fe could be better. 43ppm in only 11k miles is not great, but not horrid.

TBN is a concern. At 4.4k miles it dropped to 7.8. Now, a bit more than 6.6k miles later, it's down to 4.4. If the TBN degredation is fairly linear, then I wonder how long this load can last? 15K? a bit more?

Being a 6.7L, I presume it has a regen cycle with DPF? If so, it must not see many cycles, because the fuel is low.

I would imagine since this truck is fully loaded to and from the FedEx terminal (partial highway) and driven fairly hard it would not likely have to go through many regen cycles? Even though it does a lot of idling throughout the day.

After filter change and top off how soon would you recommend doing another oil analysis based on the past trends?

We will contact OAI but other input is great as well.

I would agree that the heat generated from all the normal daily op's are keeping the regens to a minimum; hence the low fuel%.

Top off's will keep the TBN (and the rest of the add pack) bolstered. Of course, top off's are only needed as the consumption provides. How often do you top off?

If you're looking to determine an OCI interval, I'd UOA about every 5k miles. That will allow you to develope the ranges and trends. It's expensive at first, but if you establish safe extended OCIs, it will pay for itself in the long run. Amsoil is typically a good bet for extended OCIs; great products, overall.

Top off's will keep the TBN (and the rest of the add pack) bolstered. Of course, top off's are only needed as the consumption provides. How often do you top off?

Just spoke with the customer. No top off oil used.
Thanks for your input. 5K UOA is the trend we planned on following.

Last edited:
Wow-if you can maintain those LOW soot numbers, with no bypass system-you're on to something here! Help us out & let us know which filter you're running on this motor (Fleetguard Stratapore possibly?). Also see if they can get a TAN/total ACID number on your next UOA to see if the high idling, in cold weather, could be creating acid that could be contributing to the high Fe #.

Originally Posted By: filterdist

Just spoke with the customer. No top off oil used.
Thanks for your input. 5K UOA is the trend we planned on following.

Well, the upside to that is little or no oil consumption means a good tight engine. That explains the low soot.

The down side is that with no top off, comes no additives being bolstered either. In the case of the TBN, that could be a problem. You may not get much past 15-17k miles in that case.

The down side is that with no top off, comes no additives being bolstered either. In the case of the TBN, that could be a problem. You may not get much past 15-17k miles in that case.

Well all in all I think the customer and I would be very pleased considering the hours on this oil, not only the miles.

This is far from scientific but probably on the low end in terms of actual hours on the oil.

In the past four months the truck operated 5 days a week for say 6 hours/day (this is probably a low figure). 30 hours a week for 4 months = 480 hours. During this time the mileage on the oil was 6575.

So using the 15K OCI figure here is what I come up with.
15,000/6575=2.28
2.28*480 hours=1094.4

If my customer can get 15K miles out of the oil and 1094 hours he should be very pleased. This is 1.82 times more than the spec of 600 hours for this oil.

Thanks for your input everyone!

The exhaust system on the fedex truck would actually be designed by cummins instead of in the pickups the system is designed by chrsler/mercedes. This has me wondering if they inject fuel post turbo instead of using in cylinder regeneration which causes fuel dillution.

Originally Posted By: Santo Fontana
hybrid_electric_truck_fedex.jpg

Is this what it looks like?

Originally Posted By: filterdist
No it's a FedEx Ground unit. FedEx Express is a different division- company owned trucks. Looks more like this.
IMG_0939%2BFE%2Bground.jpg

This looks like the same vehicle just from a different side.

Next time I get around this truck it should be real easy for me to find a post cylinder injection system if it has one. On my to do list!

Just met with the customer today.

We changed the filter "Fleetguard LF3970" to "Donaldson P550428" and topped of oil - about a quart.

Took a look under truck for post cylinder injection.

Forgive me as I am not as familiar with these systems as I could (or should be).

If it were a post cylinder injection system wouldn't I see an injector with a fuel line near or before the DPF? If so, I did not locate anything that would resemble a post cylinder injection system, leading me to believe it is "in cylinder injection"

Does someone have a good picture of a 6.7 post cylinder system?

An '07 6.7 may not even have a DPF system on it-may not even have a catalytic converter either, as a medium-duty truck. It would look a lot like a gas cat, but would be larger. Wonder which media the Donaldson uses? I can't imagine it's as good as the Stratapore you took off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back