Can fuel system/injector cleaner cause oil leaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently added redline SI-1 because my fuel/air mix was a little high so I wanted to see if it was a lightly clogged injector. I have no idea if it is related but I suddenly have a significant oil leak on the passenger side of my car (Subaru SVX). Everything was bone dry until very recently.

The additive could be a coincidence. But I was thinking that maybe some crud was cleaned off the valve cover gaskets exposing a leak. However, my oil dipstick is also popping up. That could be due to an old o-ring not keeping the stick from wiggling up from vibration or it could be due to excess pressure from a clogged PCV.

Thoughts?

Most likely it is not related. Very little if any of the SI-1 that you added to the fuel would find its way into the oil, unless you have some seriously leaking fuel injectors, in which case you have a much bigger issue on your hands.

Definitely check your PCV/CCV.

Agreed and the injectors didn't look to be leaking. Question, how much damage could a clogged PCV cause? Can it actually cause an old and weakened head gasket to start leaking? Or will it just push oil out of some breather holes?

Skeptic here, I don't think the fuel injector cleaner is 100% unrelated to this oil leak.. I also doubt that a PCV issue would suddenly crop up causing this issue as well.

I think you have an oil leak that just cropped up, and like anyone your thinking could I have caused this in any way ?? the answer is most likely no way you could have caused it..by simply running a fuel injector cleaner, or a PCV valve suddenly gone bad.

IMO...if it was a very harsh and potent cleaner like Sea Foam, used excessively or in the wrong dose in the crankcase, Upper Cylinder or Fuel, I think it might cause you some problems. But a low steady dose of PEA Fuel System cleaner added to your gasoline, should not cause these problems.

I'd be willing to bet heavily it has nothing to do with the FI cleaner. Probably a bad VC gasket and a coincidence. These things happen.

+1 your gga with the cleaner in it (superdiluted) would have to blow by into yoru oil and somehow get through all the oil

that didnt happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back