What is a good gun grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a good gun grease? Some people like to use grease on a few parts and sometimes on the slide.

Lincoln..
cheers.gif

Opps..I read "grease gun" not gun grease...I use Remington Nitro CLP...don't use grease anymore on my auto's slides...powder residue causes them to gum up...CLP every piece and don't look back..stuff is fantastic!

I have some grease named STOS which is probably very over priced but makes me happy for the spots that I grease. I probably use more oil like Break Free or Triflow for most of my needs. I tend to over oil my guns but they never get used where dirt is a problem so it is not a concern. I will sometimes use grease where I don't want oil because oil might migrate somewhere else I don't want it to go. Compared to some other situations guns would seem to me to be a fairly easy thing to adequately lube.

Interesting to me; I had some repairs made on a shotgun of mine by a English gunsmith who was trained by an apprenticeship at one of the fine English gunmakers, Purdys I think. Anyway when he got done with my repairs he scooped up a big wad of plain old Vaseline and slopped it in the action. I guess I was looking kind of amazed because he told me they have been using it for years and works just fine. He went on for quite a while about how good it was for this application. I know some of those guns are rarely if ever opened and then only by a gunsmith.

Some guns need grease more than others. M1 Garand is designed to use grease, I use Mobil 1 grease in it, works very well. I have been using Mobil 1 0W30 in everything else. I am going to try grease in my 1911 rails and see if it binds up, i have oiled it up to now. If you want more input, post on www.jouster.com, most everyone there is very knowledgeable and several well-known gun authors are regular posters.

Most auto greases and oils will work fine in any gun.
Basically, I haven't found a gun that didn't work perfectly with anything but auto grease & oil.

Important to know where and how much to use. I'm tired of picking up guns that look like a refinery or an oil well. Or maybe its a 2-stroke oil injected/burning firearm?

For those that insist on TadpoleLube or GunMargarine, just remember that a quart of synthetic oil is $6, a 14 ounce tube of grease is $6, and a can of spray is $5. You'll sometimes pay 10x as much, or get 1/10 the product, when you fall for the marketing and internet push of latest forum fad.

a m4 mfgr. that I know recommends assembly lube as a good alternative to gun grease. He used to make m14s aswell, he owns a small shop in AZ and makes uppers and lowers for the military and for private purchasers.

I use a tube of "multi purpose grease" I got on sale from Lowes. It's black and stinky, but it should last me forever and then some. Use it on slide rails. Little messy but does the trick.

For oil, I use a non-precise mix of ND30, ATF and some light oil thrown in for good measure.

In otherwords, I try to use what I have around and save the $$$ for ammo which is expensive enough. If you look long enough, you can find someone endorsing every product out there as the best gun lube ever created.

I too recommend Tetra gun grease. After using it you will start to notice that it is easier to clean your weapon after a shooting session. I ve used Militec, Breakfree CLP, Kel-Lube CLP, Beretta oil, Remington oil, and Tetra gun oil.

Originally Posted By: ppd1107
I use Froglube

I take that as a strong recommendation since you have been a member of bitog for over five years and this is your first post.

Would you care to elaborate on your Froglube experience?

I like Tetra grease. On a semi-automatic weapon I just don't see any way to get away from the need to use grease on the slide. Oil just moves to places that you don't want it. On a revolver, oil as lightly as practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back