SUS viscosity@210F 72.9
cSt Viscosity@100C 13.71
Flashpoint in F 410
Fuel% 0.5
Antifreeze% 0.0
Water% 0.0
Insolubles% 0.3
TBN 5.2

Comments: We found high lead in this sample from your 7.3 PSD. Lead shows bearing wear and this level is something to watch. The other wear metals look good, so we're not sure why the bearings are wearing like this. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 5,400 miles on the oil. If the engine sees any hard use or alot of idling, that might explain the wear. The 0.5% fuel isn't hurting anything. The TBN was 5.2 showing lots of active additive left; less than 1.0 is too low. Watch your oil pressure and try just 4,000 miles on the oil.

This is my first UOA on the truck, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I've read in other threads that fuel additives or running biodiesel can show high lead numbers. I have run different fuel additevs includint TCW3 as well as a full tank of B100. Any opinions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Overall not too bad, I personally wouldn't use the TC-W3 in my fuel but that's just me. How hard do you push the truck, tow, idle, City vs highway driving. it would be nice to know these things before any conclusive ideas can be made. All in all that is not a bad UOA it's just not a great one either. You are running a good oil, maybe when you answer some of the questions on how you run the truck more will come to light, ie you tow trailers of concrete blocks with steel blocks in the bed back and forth through the desert....it is a great UOA.

The truck is not run hard at all. No long idle times, about 80-90% highway driving, and rarely do I tow anything with it. Is there any merit to the fuel additives or B100 causing the high lead numbers?

Being your first UOA, it's not time to panic at all. These numbers are not grossly out of line, but something to watch.

Stick to the 5k miles UOAs and OCIs. Establish your ranges and trends. The Pb might just be a particle streak and drop upon your next UOA.

TC-W3 has been shown to be a good lubricant to the fuel systems in some lab tests. It has no other value, though. There is a fairly decent study over at dieselplace, if you're curious.

B100 can have some interesting affects. Go back to "normal" dieesl, and see how your wear metals react.

Last edited:
It could be the additives. I would stop using what you are and either use Howes , Power Service or Racor. I for one use one of those additives every tank , according to directions. I do not use 2 stroke oil ., although I tried it. Your wear numbers are good. I just switched my 7.3 to Delo do to the UOA's I have seen from using Delo. Look @ my post below . Your truck is just breaking in. Good luck.
BTW. What oil filters are you using?

Thanks for all the info guys. My main reason for using the tcw3 besides the added lubricity, is the price (16 oz of Supertech for about $2.00). I've also used power service, and just recently bought a bottle of the Motorcraft additive. The OCI listed above is the first one I've done myself. Before that I've always taken it to the quick lube places. I currently have Delo in it again since it was on sale at wal mart a few months ago for 8.50 a gallon. I also use the Motorcraft FL-1995 filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back