Best de-icer windshield fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Rain-x De-icer, because I'm so impressed with their other products. The auto parts store was out of stock, so I bought two jugs of Prestone de-icer. The bottle states that it melts 98 percent more ice than Rain-x. Sounds like a gimmick to me. Is that possible? What's your experience?

You got the right one - Prestone!
thumbsup2.gif

Love the Rain-X...works great.

The Prestone de-icer will remove more ice, because it has more methanol in it...it will also remove more rubber from your blades and wear them out quicker...

Depends what your needs are...

For me, Rain-X works best, even in Vermont, where there was lots of ice, I preferred the Rain-X because on a long drive, the Prestone caused chatter as the blades wore on the glass...I just carried an ice scraper and let the car idle 30 seconds while I scraped any ice. Ice gone, warm-up complete, hit the road! (I used to drive from Northern VT to NYC once or twice a week, 350 miles each way...)

Cheers,

Last edited:
Rain X for sure.
If I can't get that, I use the generic blue stuff and add the clear Prestone De-Icer concentrate as a boster. (Wally's special over the summer
Steve

Typically, I use the blue -20* AAP house brand. However, once it gets down into the single digits, it starts to freeze to the windshield if sprayed while moving. For now, I'm using the Prestone, although it definitely causes chatter at times.

Another Zecol Purple Power user. Rated to -35F. Seems to work well. I use it for nine months out of the year and use the regular -20F stuff for the other 3 months. I do NOT want a forzen iceberg in my reservoir when the cold weather comes (and it always does in Minnesota!)

Originally Posted By: Tortured_Soul
ZECOL Purple Power.
thumbsup2.gif
I get it at Menards...

I've tried Rain-X De-Icer, and didn't like it at all.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Another Zecol Purple Power user. Rated to -35F. Seems to work well. I use it for nine months out of the year and use the regular -20F stuff for the other 3 months. I do NOT want a forzen iceberg in my reservoir when the cold weather comes (and it always does in Minnesota!)

I just bought two gallons of this at my local Kwik Trip the other day. Seems to work quite well. How much does Menards charge for it?

It has to be good, it's made in Minnesota.

I use whatever is cheapest - WM or CT's generic house brand stuff - try to pay less than $2.50/gallon if I can.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I just bought two gallons of this at my local Kwik Trip the other day. Seems to work quite well. How much does Menards charge for it?

It has to be good, it's made in Minnesota.

I've gotten it on sale for less than $1 at Menards before... I didn't even know it was made in MN Johnny!
thumbsup2.gif

j0422065.gif

Rain-X De-Icer is like spraying milk on your windshield.

I mentioned something a couple months ago about icing on the windshield. I don't recall who it was, but someone responded about the use of "Heet" in the mix, something about it being more common among the truckers.
I have a yellow bottle of Heet but it didn't come to mind then to try it.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
In that case, I will stick with Kwik Trip. I believe we paid $2.45 per gallon for it.

Watch Menards for it to be on sale. I buy by the case for under $2 a gallon. I keep thinking it was $1.48 a gallon about a month ago.

Rain-x works pretty well here for us.
Since we now have a Menards near us, I'll have to try Purple Power.
Menards does have some great sales.

Prestone is the answer to the original question of which is the "best de-icer." It definitely de-ices better than Rain-X. We get lots of freezing rain issues around where I live and Prestone is the best for that. However, I will say I do get a lot of chatter--didn't connect that to the Prestone, but now everybody has me wondering if that is the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back