Baldwin b1431. What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I ordered a pair of Baldwin b1431's for my civic, but now I am not so sure. Do I use them for my next two oil changes, or do I cut one of them open when it arrives and then post pictures of the filters before and after use? I am but a poor family man, but I do notice a lack of Baldwin pictures on the site.

Baldwin filter is good, no need to cut open an unused one to post picture. Just use it for 6-7k miles than cut open when change it out on the next oil change.

There are pictures posted - do a search -but They dont tell much anyway. I bought a larger form factor Clarecore parent hasting/baldwin though Federated Auto Supply. It was a "jobber grade" 2 buck part and had very little media and low pleat count. It didnt work well. I only use Wix and Delco (non-ecore) these days (ex: 09forester - I use the OEM replacement honeywell as it doesnt leak around the gasket). I would like to use the wix 51356 but it leaks.

Last edited:
I would love to see pictures, but I have a Baldwin BT223 I don't plan to use. So maybe wait for that to get cut and save your money.

I haven't had problems with the 51356 (actually the NG 1356) on either my civic or my father's 09 fit? Has it been a recurring problem with you?

If it were me I would cut it open... but then again I like cutting open new filters.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: moviedave
I haven't had problems with the 51356 (actually the NG 1356) on either my civic or my father's 09 fit? Has it been a recurring problem with you?
Just ran it once ( 2 days) on the 09 forester. Subaru have (reportedly) high volume oil pumps. It leaked at the base gasket. Subuaru use P-ring gasketing on OEM service part so they wont leak.

Wix apparently had a bad run of all part numbers leaking around the baseplate area. I think it has been corrected. Something with the seam adhesive I heard.

This leak was a gasket to mounting face leak. The Filter was purchased through a small auto parts store and it may have been in stock for a decade. The gasket was somewhat dry and hard and deformed though it was tightened not beyond spec. It may have just been a one-off oddball problem ....

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
...It may have just been a one-off oddball problem ....

Ya. Probably so. Not too much goes wrong with the gaskets unless they got a metal burr under them or something.
One thing for sure, all brands occasionally have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back