Is Hyundai SP3 Still Only Safe Option ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this in a PDF. If you want the actual copy, then you can PM me and I'll email to you..

THOMAS R. SMITH
Technical Director, Valvoline Brand
June 7, 2004
To Whom It May Concern:
Valvoline has received several inquiries regarding the topic of MERCON V ATF and its use in various
vehicles beyond those requiring DEXRON-III, MERCON, or MERCON V approved products. In
response to these questions Valvoline has issued the following statements:
Valvoline supports the use of MERCON V ATF in a broad range of transmissions beyond those
requiring DEXRON-III, MERCON, and MERCON V fluids including those where the following fluids
are recommended:
o GM DEXRON II
o Allison C-4
o Chrysler ATF+3 or ATF+4 fluids
o Toyota (and Lexus) Type T, T-III or T-IV fluids
o Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II or SP-III fluids
o Hyundai
o Honda ATF-Z1 fluid (except in CVTs)
o BMW LT71141 or LA2634 fluids
o Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, or Matic-K fluids
MaxLife ATF is recommended for the new 5 and 6 speed transmissions, except the Ford 5R110, Ford
6RXX, and the Mercedes Benz W7A700 (7G-TRONIC) which all require a low viscosity Automatic
Transmission Fluid.
Valvoline has conducted in-house testing to support MERCON V ATF performance in these
transmissions. However, it is important to note that these vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated
nor approved MERCON V ATF.
Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MERCON V ATF. Use of MERCON V ATF in
transmissions where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. In the
unlikely event that any transmission was to be damaged as a result of the use of MERCON V ATF,
please contact Valvoline at 1-800-Team-VAL.
Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife ATF for use in continuously variable transmissions (CVT’s) or in
automatic transmissions where Ford Type F is recommended.
Sincerely,
Thom Smith
Technical Director
Valvoline Brand

Looks like Valvoline Mercon V would be a cost effective option in place of SP-III . However if you read closely you see that Valvoline does not recommend Maxlife ATF for CVT transmissions - My 2010 Hyundai Elantra has a CVT transmission .

unDummy - I've never seen Amalie before how ever their Universal Synthetic ATF looks promising ! Looks like it would do everything Mobil 1 promises to do ... never seen it in stores though - is it mail order only ?

Usually its on sale at the amalie store, which includes some wolfshead and xcel products. The three brands are the same and products are similar. I think the wolfshead ATF is on sale there or free shipping. Its a great ATF for those who practice PM.

I wouldn't use Mercon-V in place of SPIII.

You can't go wrong with Valvoline Maxlife, along with Castrol Import and HighMileage ATFs. I use ATF+4 because it is usually a full groupIII ATF and enough HFM for smooth transmission shifting after adaptation. Always do a battery disconnect to clear out any volatile learned parameters at EVERY ATF service.

Castrol Import
Castrol HighMileage
Maxlife
wolfshead
amalie

Undummy good points on the sp3, I did some research and even in your past threads you don’t seem to like the sp3 specification.

If the likes of amsoil/redline/mobil1/Castrol would outperform the sp3 specification, why do we so many posts in these Hyundai forums where people say “I used an equivalent sp3 fluid and my transmission started slipping, or started shifting incorrectly.” I am just baffeled if this is the average joe who used the incorrect aftermarket atf.

Now that I have a Hyundai I was doing some research on this topic and it looks like the Hyundai/kia world is divided on the answers to what these transmissions like best.

So like you have said most of your transmission failures were from sp3 oils and not from the better oils known on this forum? The uoas also don’t look promising on the sp3 side and do confirm your opinions.

In my case, I already bought the Hyundai specific atf and plan to do a drain and refill every 10K as you have suggested as this gets only about ½ the oil out of the trammy. After using up my Hyundai sp3 fluid should I be shifting to the redlines/amsoils/mobils/castrols that say they meet the sp3 specifications?

I am just looking for some answers from someone who has been in the transmission industry.

Any opinions on lubegard red in use with sp3 fluids or any of the better fluids?

For ANY and ALL OE ATFs, I highly recommend adding a bottle of Lubegard Red or Platinum.

Most of the synthetics, like Amsoil, Redline, Royalpurple, Wynns, BG... are options, if available in your area, and if the cost isn't too excessive to you.

I know that SPIV has not been officially recommended as a fluid backwards compatible with SPIII. This SPIV might be an option if you want to use your transmission as a guinea pig. So far, all the info I've seen hints that SPIV is just a lighter visc higher group base SPIII. Where GM steps up and back specs Dexron6 to DexronIII units, Ford, Toyota, Hyundai ALL chicken out.

unDummy - Curious what you think of the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ? It claims to cover SP-III .

Well Silverrat - the Hyundai TSB link you included seems to speak volumes ...Hyundai basically says : "Use SP-III or else" .

It is not on Hyundai website. Hyundai does not offer CVT in Elantra in US. You are mistaken. Post a link.
You do not know what you drive?????
Here is another link, showing that 2010 Elantra only had 4 speed Auto and 5 speed stick.
http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/elantra/2010/features-specs.html?style=&sub=

Google comes with CVT in hybrid Elantra made ONLY for the South Korean market. I highly doubt you drive that type of a car.

Last edited:
2010 US online brochure for Elantra stated 4 speed CVT ! I recall asking a mechanic what it was because I was unfamiliar with the terminology . Now all they show is a 2011 brochure with a different transmission . * If it matters to you that much U.M. then knock yourself out researching with Hyundai. I don't care to discuss any more ...

Also where I work we got a TSB that allows us to use Mobil Super Multi ATF for most applications, except Type F, Mercon SP, etc. except in Hyundai with SPIII requirement, Hyundai will not accept any warranty claim if their fluid is not used.

Funny how Mitsubishi uses the same SPIII spec but Multi ATF is ok to use.

In addition, Mobil Super Multi ATF bottle lists SPIII suitable, but Hyundai wont warranty it.

Last edited:
Useful information SilverRat ...Curious if this position goes against government regulation for Hyundai "holding customers hostage" to have to use a proprietary fluid ?

Most automakers have interest in their suppliers so mandatory fluid choices reflect it, along with their contracts that we would just love to read. Heavily discounted or free fluid for the assembly line, but make that mandatory in the owners manual is common. Exclusivity contracts with certain oil companies that the automaker holds a vested interest in is another, or request by a supplier that holds that connection to another supplier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Oil_Bank

So, I do not and will not recommend an OE fluid until there is NO OTHER OPTION. There are plenty of superior options to SPIII.

The whole brain dead greed corporate selfishness is why I don't work in the automotive manufacturing anymore. You kid yourself to think that the automaker is looking out for your best interests with their recommendations.

U.M. - I made a mistake ...2010 Elantra is a 4 speed auto - not a CVT . I got bad information in that the "CVT" for the 2010 Elantra was for : Continuous Varible Timeing for the DOHC valves set up .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
unDummy - Curious what you think of the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ? It claims to cover SP-III .

Not anymore it doesn't. Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF compatibility with SP-III is no longer claimed. Some product containers will still list SP-III, but they're being phased out. Check the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF product page.

When I asked if Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF met the Hyundai SP-III specification, the reply from a Mobil 1 rep was:

Quote:
No, it does not meet your specification.

More info from a Mobil 1 rep:

Quote:
As part of a recent effort to simplify and update the claim profiles of some of our products, certain Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) claims for the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and Mobil Multivehicle ATF have been removed from the Product Data Sheets (PDS) and will be removed from the labels in the near term. While the claim profile of these products have changed, there has been no change to the product formulations or performance. Also, the terms of the Mobil ATF Limited Warranty will continue to apply to Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and Mobil Multivehicle ATF.

Updated PDS can be found in our Web site.

I'm sure some people will think it was a legal concern that made them change their tune on this. I've no idea. I do know that I'd find it unsettling to use a particular ATF, only to see the manufacturer do an about-face regarding that fluid's compatibility with my vehicle.

Wow - good catch ...Wonder if Castrol Import Multi Vehicle Synthetic is still a candidate for SP-III alternate ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back