Wal-Mart Supertech is baaaaad stuff !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now u guys know there r only 2 reconized oils in all the world, M 1 and Rotella t6,,,u should know that by now,,,there will be a test on this next year. lmao,,,,,,,,have a good time everyone........sky

Originally Posted By: j_mac
OK, so I took my good friends word that the antifreeze still had the foil seals in place. The first thing I thought as well was that soemone had used the contents and replaced with water somehow and he said "I thought that too, but the aluminum foil seals were not broken!" But I was not there when it happened so I'll give it to you guys that it isn't a foolproof story.

Antifreeze (Or other foil-sealed items) scam:
1. Use product.
2. Obtain one bottle of super glue.
3. Obtain a Razor Blade.
4. Get the box/roll of Reynolds wrap from the kitchen
5. Remove all traces of old foil on bottle
6. Refill bottle with water, or if oil bottle, used motor oil.
7. Spread super glue around rim of bottle.
8. put small piece of foil on the rim.
9. Allow to dry.
10. Remove the excess foil flash, install the cap and return item to store where originally bought for refund.

Then unsuspecting buyer will purchase that "scammed" item, in your friends case the antifreeze, and assume its fresh from the factory. It would explain his frozen "antifreeze", and its more common than you think...

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Lets use a little logic here.

Being as W/M is the largest retailer in the U.S.A. and also the world, and more than likely sells more product than just about anyone else, if there was a problem with ANY product they house brand it would be all over the Net, Local News, National News, World News. It would be worse than the FireStone fiesco a few years ago, or the Toyota brake issue last summer. It sure wouldn't involve 2 products purchased in W. Va.

Do you really think gear oil is that closely monitored or that an out of spec gear oil is interesting enough to be considered newsworthy? This isn't even in the same ball field as the Explorer/Firestone, Toyota/accelerator recalls as people aren't dying and rear ends probably aren't even being destroyed. Warren did get caught here though, and even supposedly stepped up control because of it.

Buy Wal-Mart Supertech if you want. But keep in mind that Wal-Mart is not an oil company and has no control over what goes into these bottles. The quality control and quality of ingredients has to be questionable.

I'll take my chances with name-brand stuff at Wal-Mart. It's hard to fake a Prestone foil seal that has "Prestone" printed all across it.

I've been hosed enough times by their SuperTech stuff. No more for me.

Buy Wal-Mart Supertech if you want. But keep in mind that Wal-Mart is not an oil company and has no control over what goes into these bottles. The quality control and quality of ingredients has to be questionable.

This can apply with ANY house brand...

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I'll take my chances with name-brand stuff at Wal-Mart. It's hard to fake a Prestone foil seal that has "Prestone" printed all across it.

And how many people actually look at that? My bet would be not that many at all would even notice..

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Being as W/M is the largest retailer in the U.S.A. and also the world, and more than likely sells more product than just about anyone else, if there was a problem with ANY product they house brand it would be all over the Net, Local News, National News, World News. It would be worse than the FireStone fiesco a few years ago, or the Toyota brake issue last summer. It sure wouldn't involve 2 products purchased in W. Va.

Do you really think gear oil is that closely monitored or that an out of spec gear oil is interesting enough to be considered newsworthy? This isn't even in the same ball field as the Explorer/Firestone, Toyota/accelerator recalls as people aren't dying and rear ends probably aren't even being destroyed. Warren did get caught here though, and even supposedly stepped up control because of it.

Hey Guy, Tell me just where I mentioned Gear Lube? As far as I'm concerned the analogy still stands, if you don't get it or consider it in the same ball park thats your problem.

Actually they have a whole lot of control, as in lose your biggest account if you mess up, control. I would bet the suppliers are EXTRA careful.

The same thing could be said about Motorcraft, etc oils, they don't make it. "Seems suspicious to me what's in there." No it doesn't.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Hey Guy, Tell me just where I mentioned Gear Lube? As far as I'm concerned the analogy still stands, if you don't get it or consider it in the same ball park thats your problem.

Your analogy is poor. The day a Wal-Mart product starts resulting in deaths is the day it gets Toyota-level coverage.

Walmart store brands are very good IMO.

The Walmart anti freeze is bottled by Prestone & the lubes are made by a several different vendors with good reputations.

There are VOA's & UOA's listed for Supertech oils here and I don't recall ever reading anything negative.

Walmart is one of the best places on Earth to buy oil for the "DYI'er"

Last edited:
Tim H,
Your scenario is entirely likely for a welfare recipient with nothing but time on their hands. And heck, they would aready have the superglue on hand (for sniffing) and aluminum foil too (you'd be surprised at all the different illicit uses for that stuff.)

Really though, I can see your scenario being acted out.

Maybe thats what happened.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

I've been hosed enough times by their SuperTech stuff. No more for me.

I like their windshield wash. Although that's a product that's pretty hard to screw up on, and costs less than the same amount of bottled water (never understood why people pay over a buck for a 16 oz bottle of water you could obtain from the tap or a Brita for a couple cents a bottle).

-Spyder

Tim H,
Your scenario is entirely likely for a welfare recipient with nothing but time on their hands. And heck, they would aready have the superglue on hand (for sniffing) and aluminum foil too (you'd be surprised at all the different illicit uses for that stuff.)

Having at one time worked in loss prevention, I can too. I think it would be like getting struck by lightning though, given the time spent for such a meager return has to be on a bottle of antifreeze or oil versus other items they could pull the same scam on.

But I've seen enough people do incredibly stupid things in LP. Like the guy who walked in off the street and bagged two 2L bottles of Diet Pepsi, on sale for 99 cents each, using bags he'd brought in himself to bag it right in the aisle before exiting without paying for.

Using two identical plastic bags and the same amount of time, a shoplifter at another grocery store bagged over $200 in grill steaks then doing the same thing the above person did.

Both were arrested, and turned over to police who charged each with the same theft under $5,000 charge (the Canadian equivalent of a misdemeanor offense). The second, while going for a much higher prize, was the one to leave the store in handcuffs on his way to jail though, as aside from the theft, he was on parole that he'd committed several breeches of: being a store he had been caught shoplifting in and was not permitted on the premises on as condition of his parole, being in possession of needles used to inject cocaine that violated another condition of his parole, and the shoplifting offense itself which was a 3rd breech.

Edit: speaking from the experience in my current career, unless we are talking very young school kids, nobody sniffs glue anymore. There are far too many potent, easily attainable, easily encountered, and highly addictive alternatives now. I won't elaborate further as its going too far off topic and is not family friendly or casual reading material.

-Spyder

Last edited:
Tim H,
Your scenario is entirely likely for a welfare recipient with nothing but time on their hands. And heck, they would already have the superglue on hand (for sniffing) and aluminum foil too (you'd be surprised at all the different illicit uses for that stuff.)

you would be surprised.. And its not necessarily from welfare recipients, either. I've read several postings on this site alone over the years of people getting "recycled" oil in what they bought as a"new"bottle. For some people its worth the time, considering A bottle of M1 and filter, air filter, and even antifreeze can amount to a pretty sizable sum. And the person at the refund counter never bothers to look, and most probably don't even realise what to look for. Goes along the same line as shoplifters who steal a candy bar while having $20 bill in their wallet/purse. How else would a "sealed" bottle of antifreeze get frozen if it was never opened?

about 6 years ago I bought Supertech or whatever the Wal-Mart brand is of power steering fluid. Topped off my Mustang and topped off my girlfriend's Mustang. Both cars started to whine loudly (even for a Ford) and the PS fluid got all foamy. About totalled out both cars' systems. After a long and expensive flushing regime with a name brand fluid everything was back to normal. I saved what was left of the suspect bottle for a few years in case there was a lawsuit that popped up over it, but never saw one.
About a year or so later my buddy bought Wal-Mart brand 50/50 mix antifreeze. Kept it in the trunk of his car because he had a slow coolant leak. When he needed it, he got it out of the trunk and the bottle was FROZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These two incidents told me to stay away from Wal-Mart branded petroleum products. Wonder what other catastrophes this sort of thing has caused?
smirk.gif

Hi,

Well, for a few bucks less, it's sensible to use a product that offers the same quality.

I dunno. I was always the dude that was kind of pressed for cash during the teen days when I found a love for automobiles and motorcycles. Loved them, never had the cash to break out for name brand stuff all the time. Then I found that Walmart offered the same performance...for less.

Of course, there is the argument about supporting American workers or whatever. But well, the reality is...we are a capitalistic economy. We make lots of money and want to spend the least amount when we have to.

For example, always bargaining for car prices. Sounds sensible right? You worked hard and long to earn the cash, watching out for someone else's paycheck is simply...not your problem. Harsh as it sounds, it's the truth.

Anyways, back to Supertech. I am not advocating the brand, in fact I make a statement that I will refrain from marketing certain brands. Like when people ask for oil recommendations. Honestly, all the companies are great. When they meet standards, rest assured they are good enough. The best? Not always. But good enough.

In that sense, Supertech to me has always been good enough for what I need. It costs less than the "name brands." Even if the name brands are "better" supposedly, if I don't have a need for better than why would I want to spend extra money? Anyways, hopefully I didn't offend anyone haha. Just offering my opinion.

I don't know about OP problems though. It sounds very suspicious. Not accusing you of anything of course, but you either got a very wrong product, the Walmart producer of that fluid got the very wrong formula, or something like that.

Of course everyone's experience may differ. I happen to use Supertech fluids all the time because I go to Walmart all the time (college habits still sticking with me you know? haha).

Good stuff. Now that I have the money to support myself, I still use Supertech products because...they are good enough for my needs.

Anyways have fun! Hope that if you ever use Supertech again, it will be a better experience. I have a bottle of the power steering fluid. It's made by Ashland. Of course, the formula may change slightly because Ashland bottles it for Walmart under Walmart specifications. But as long as it meets OEM requirements, which it does, it's good enough! haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back