****BITOG's FAVORITE OIL 2010 RESULTS****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
Not accurate unless all 33,000+ members posted,but still nice job.

i didn't vote..

The sample size is large enough.

When they ask for the American public's opinion on their President, they don't poll all 230 million adults. They don't need to. When they do a study on the effectiveness of a drug, the sample size is typically 100-200. They don't have the entire population of the world in the study.

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
Originally Posted By: daman
Not accurate unless all 33,000+ members posted,but still nice job.

i didn't vote..

The sample size is large enough.

When they ask for the American public's opinion on their President, they don't poll all 230 million adults. They don't need to. When they do a study on the effectiveness of a drug, the sample size is typically 100-200. They don't have the entire population of the world in the study.

There's more than just sample size, the sample has to be representative of the whole. I'd say many on here don't post about their oil changes (shocking considering what site it is).

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
I am surprised Quaker State did better then Motorcraft...But it's all good.

Some folks like me like sludge
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ken42
Gureat job thanks.
I am not supprised about the Pennzoil (Penzoil for Johnny)
With the Most excellent Q&A they provided.
But I am supprised to see Amsoil down so low.

I'm not.... people that buy Amsoil, Redline, Rotella, Shaeffer's, etc. are probably going to be running longer OCIs than people running PYB or PP, thus doing fewer changes per year.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Ken42
Gureat job thanks.
I am not supprised about the Pennzoil (Penzoil for Johnny)
With the Most excellent Q&A they provided.
But I am supprised to see Amsoil down so low.

I'm not.... people that buy Amsoil, Redline, Rotella, Shaeffer's, etc. are probably going to be running longer OCIs than people running PYB or PP, thus doing fewer changes per year.

+1...and is Formula Shell included in the Pennzoil numbers?

I'd also say not to count the same poster using the same brand oil in the same year etc.

Top 5 were no surprise, being the major brands that are the most trusted. Also no surprise that SuperTech was the most popular store brand. Looks like a pretty accurate survey to me.

Originally Posted By: itslimjim

+1...and is Formula Shell included in the Pennzoil numbers?

Thanks for the effort and hard work!

I am confused as to why not count the UOAs for the year and assume that the most UOA'd oil is the most popular?

Is it easy for the mod's to give a count of UOAs from new year to year end? ( new threads )

Still enough, thanks for the thread!

Ironic! I just shifted from Mobil 1 to Peak--obviously because of price issues. Peak is new on the Puerto Rico motor oil market but, since it meets the "SM" classification I went for it ($4.28/qt., including tax). Whenever you can research the Peak brand, please post whatever you find out, "BITOG"!
THANK YOU KIND, dude! BTW, M1's price has skyrocketed to $7.48/qt., with tax. I do 4 vehicles (wife's, mother's, sister's and my baby, an '04 flawless 350Z), so I tried to $ave $ome moolah...I hope I won't regret it in the future...
Thanks again!

WOW! thanks for the info...
I to am really surprised Pennzoil is at the top... That just happens to be one of the cheaper in price found at wally world.

even tho I have heard some use the SS brand, I just don`t get that fuzzy feeling about it. just assuming walmarts buying practices are true for the oil as well, what are they leaving out of it?

so far since I`ve been away from using Amsoil, I have been using Valvoline, Castrol, and M1...

Last edited:
Thanks for all your hard work in putting together the results. No major surprises....all quality oils.

Hey what do you know....my 1,000th post to BITOG....how appropriate for it to appear here!

Last edited:
I can't stand pennzoil,sorry. I had 2 cars that i used that stuff in and it went through more oil,changed to castrol and the problem went away..very odd.The cars did not use oil until pennzoil went in.
I'm a castrol oil or quaker state person myself but i bought some shell 5w30 on a great sale price.
FRAM filters only.

Funny how I originally used conventional Castrol oil, switched to Mobil 1, then Valvoline synthetic and now I use Pennzoil Ultra. Almost up the chart!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back