UPDATE: Auto rx "after" pics 93 Chevy pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got some garage time and pulled a valve cover. I did a 3000 mile clean phase, this is about 2000 miles into the rinse.

l_76e4cca1fd6643f6ac82a3c93720cd26.jpg

l_e16a2475be7b4164bbb0175059fed9e9.jpg

l_70e401d9de134d9394a48f3a602020f0.jpg

As you can see there is still a lot of cleaning to go, but I would say the Auto RX cleaned at least 1/3 the sludge. It seams to have worked best on the lower portion of the head where there is the most oil flow. In the last pic, you can actually see some areas of clean bare metal.
All and all, I am happy with the results.
At this point, I am going to do some 3000 mile runs with Valvoline synthetic, I may do another Auto RX run in the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if I missed it, but did you post pics and the history in another thread? Would you mind posting up the link?

SHOOT GIVE PYB A TRY! lets see that 40 percent sludge removal.

thanx for the pics.

i would love to see how kreen worked in that engine

I would do some mmo with frequent filter changes, use a decent yet less expensive filter and change it at 500 miles, again at 1500 and 3000 with the mmo. You are going to need several ocis with mmo to clean this up. I have seen sludge much worse than this, just go slow!

I'd run cheap dino and a qt of MMO for 3000 miles and hit it with the knockout punch. It should clean up nicely!

Good choice on the slow approach, and a very good job framing the pictures for accurate comparison in before/after.
Hope the cleaning goes well for you, thanks fore posting this.

I wish I had taken a close up of the "before" like the last pic in the "after". It is hard to tell from the pics but the layer of crud is much less thick in the after photos. You can also see some bare metal on the rocker arms and valve spring retainers.
There was seriously no bare metal to be seen in the before shots.
Another thing I noticed, the crud was very hard, almost baked on in the before pics, now it seems softer and is easier to scrape off. My hope is that good oil and 3k oci will help clean more of this now that is is softened.

I was having a hard time telling between the pre-clean pics vs the post-clean pics. I would definitely try a different approach. I really don't think Kreen in the proper dosage would be a problem. Either Kreen it MMO or SeaFoam it. With some highway driving in the mix. I wouldn't spend any more $$ on ARx. Or put Pennzoil to the test and see if they clean as claimed. Also a run of an ester based oil may help too (pretty much what ARx is) it would just be more concentrated. just a thought

BTW thank you for posting these pics. I know it is really cool to see s project like yours in action!

Last edited:
I agree with Chubbs, I wouldn't spend any more money on arx when you can buy 4 or 5 bottles of MMO for the same price. From reading your first thread it sounded like the MMO was working, you said the filter was dirty after just 500 miles.

Why did you stop using MMO and go to arx? Just curious, not hating
smile.gif

I think a qt of MMO and another 3000 mile run, and he's GTG. Another plus for MMO is the easier cold starts, especially in Watertown, NY.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I was having a hard time telling between the pre-clean pics vs the post-clean pics. I would definitely try a different approach. I really don't think Kreen in the proper dosage would be a problem. Either Kreen it MMO or SeaFoam it. With some highway driving in the mix. I wouldn't spend any more $$ on ARx. Or put Pennzoil to the test and see if they clean as claimed. Also a run of an ester based oil may help too (pretty much what ARx is) it would just be more concentrated. just a thought

BTW thank you for posting these pics. I know it is really cool to see s project like yours in action!
Originally Posted By: hate2work

I agree with Chubbs, I wouldn't spend any more money on arx when you can buy 4 or 5 bottles of MMO for the same price. From reading your first thread it sounded like the MMO was working, you said the filter was dirty after just 500 miles.

Why did you stop using MMO and go to arx? Just curious, not hating
smile.gif

+1, though my money would be on a good HDEO like Rotella T6 at normal intervals. Based on what you've done so far, the engine is probably spotless by now, with only the valve train needing to be cleaned. The cleaning, again based on your before/after pics and what you said you've done doesn't lead me to believe this will be a fast process, nor will it require special treatment WRT to OCI and filter changes. A UOA at 3kmi showing adequate additives and no insolubles would help my argument and save you some cash in the long run.

I'd put my money on some GF5/SN oil, like Pennzoil yellow bottle.... Give it a couple 3k/3mo changes and pull a valve cover off for inspection and post the pic's. And, if the Pennzoil YB doesn't clean off 40% of the sludge, send the pictures to Pennzoil and see how they respond. Then contact the FTC and BBB. I bet that you'll get some free oil out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back