OIL RECOMMENDATION: 2006 HONDA F-12X PWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres what the manual says, just wondering what you guys think would be best to run in this jet ski.

ZRu4I.jpg

Its cold started and nearly immediately rode hard. Engine is a 1235cc liquid-cooled dry-sump inline four-cylinder with intercooled turbocharger.

IF you can find it, that would be the perfect application for Brad-Penn oils. Their regular 10W-40 is API SJ, non-EC oil. It's sold in the NY area.

I've used RTS & a Napa Gold 1356 in my R-12x after breakin of about 5 hours new to ~115 hours now with no issues whatsoever.

This is a factory leftover, purchased 10-11 months ago. Still on the factory fill at 42 Hours...

Its my friends ski, and he is incredibly abusive while thinking he isnt. If there is something thats going to give better protection during cold starts, he needs it.

Last edited:
lol. how can you NOT be abusive on a jet ski? Get that kind of power between your legs (no pun intended lol) and you wanna go crazy :)

42 hours on the factory fill? Ouch! My Yamaha FX HO called for a first oil change at 10 hours. What does the manual say for the first oil change? I would use a Marine 10w-40 weight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
42 hours on the factory fill? Ouch! My Yamaha FX HO called for a first oil change at 10 hours. What does the manual say for the first oil change? I would use a Marine 10w-40 weight.

I agree. Should have been done between 10-25 hours. And yes what does the manual say.
I've got a Kawi 250 Ultra and the manual says every 25 hours.
Using any marine 10W 40 should be good such as Yamalube, Kawi's, or even Sea Dogs. I think a motorcycle 4 stroke would be ok too.
Either way get some fresh oil in there and change the filter as well.

YES Change the OIL.
I have 2002 F12X and have been using the Honda HP4 Oil
Don't use a car oil and don't skimp and these engines are
run very hard as you know

I would use the recommended Honda oil, Mobil 1 4T 10w40 motorcycle oil, or Amsoil 10w40 marine oil. I definately would not use an off the shelf dino in this application.

Last edited:
I have a 2006 R12X with the same engine bought new with 0 hours.
I now have 306 hours ,and it runs like new.

I am VERY hard on this craft.
I run Amsoil 10w40.
Just the regular 10w40 that says high Zinc on the bottle because it is avalible locally.

Its not Marine specific ,but I believe it to be more than adaquate ,and I keep it changed around every 30 hours.

I like the Brad Penn suggestion, but look for their 10w40 semi synthetic racing oil. If you want a readily available oil, the rotella t6 5w40 synthetic is ideally suited, and carries the Jaso MA rating. I use it in my Seadoo supercharged 1500, as do many other Seadoo owners. I personally would not go over 20 hours on the oil in a jet ski- they are the definition of severe service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back