Oil Leak - 2004 Lincoln LS V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
2R8Z-6710-AA for the oil pan gasket MSRP is 51.68. That gasket fits a ton of applications.

Replacing the gasket isn't too DIY friendly unless you feel like dropping the subframe in your driveway.

Thanks for the part number bdcardinal. Not what I wanted to hear about dropping the subframe. I'm not sure if I'd be up to doing that. I guess I'll have to find some shop around the around to do the job for me. It almost looks like there may be some leakage around the gasket of the front piece (it's flat and in the front of the engine). I might have to have it replaced as well. It's separate from the regular oil pan.

Hey guys, I have a 2002 lincoln ls with the v6 and replaced my own oil pan gasket in the summer of 2010, it wasn't easy but do-able. I wasn't able to drop the pan out of the car due to the sub frame, but what I did was loosen the motor mounts and used a 2x4 from the passanger side of the car and a jack from under the car and at the front of the motor, I moved the motor up enough so I could get my hands in the the oil pan (after I had unbolted it of course) then I cleaned the surface as best I could, the old gasket left a bit of residue behind and I had to clean it with some fine emry cloth. Then to remove the old gasket I had to unbolt the oil pump from inside the engine (2 bolts, easy) and the gasket has an exact push pull squeze method of removing and putting the new one in. I was able to bend the new gasket (very careful!)in place and bend it back to shape. If you can visualize this, the pan isn't lower than the crank, so you have to go down and around it. I then put on some high temp rtv sealent to the pan and bottom of the engine, (not easy) Don't forget to put the oil pump back on. I also had to remove the alternator to get to all the oil pan bolts. I am not a mechanic but I do my own vehicle maintence and this was a all day event by myself. I have read this repair can cost upward of $1000, so it was worth it to me. Hope this helps, I couldn't stand all the oil spots mine was leaving and the burning oil smell was horrible, and to date no leaks. Again I have heard this was a common problem on the V6 motor, I bought mine in 2008 with 24000 miles and It was leaking then.

Originally Posted By: adamrc
I'm thinking it's leaking some oil onto the exhaust or something because when I run the car for the first few minutes when it's cold, I can smell burning oil coming through the heater vents as it's warming up. I may just have to end up buying a oil pan seal and changing it out.

If it's hitting the exhaust, the oil leak is not on the oil pan. Look higher. Maybe the valve covers are dripping down?

(Unless this engine has some sort of high oil pan and low exhaust.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back