Dino vs synthetic for cold starts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive an 02 civic and live in Minnesota. My car is always parked outside and has to start up during some pretty cold nights. I was just wondering how much advantage synthetic oils really give for cold starts vs dino oils?

Although the "new" conventional 5W oils are WAY better than the past, this really is where synthetics shine. Synthetic oils (especial PAO/POE based synthetics) have great cold pumpability. You will notice a difference.

Typicaly, Syn oils have better flow for cold starting but, it also depends on how cold out it is!

At certain cold outside temps, oh let's say at zero deg F, they may both be the same, i.e. syn 5W30 vs. dino 5W30.

But when it gets really cold outside,(-20 or -30 deg F.) the way Minnesota can get, syn oils would be best. IDK how cold it can actually get in Minnesota but, living there, you might want to consider syn for the winter months just to eliminate the guess work.

Our coldest here this year in Rochester, NY IIRC, has been -7 deg F. Dino is fine! But, if we were to get as cold as some other places in the U.S. and Canada, I would run straight syn in the winter time. In the mean time, a blend works for me. My own blend of course...2 qts syn & 3 qts dino all 5W30

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: moviedave
To be perfectly honest, I was planning on trying the Honda 5w-20 synthetic blend.

I have my reservations about syn/blend oils. Unless I can get them at huge savings, I'd rather make my own. You just don't know how much % synthetic oil you getting in the blend. Could be 7%, could be 20%. IDK! To me, they're not much better than dino but they cost alot more.

To be perfectly honest, I was planning on trying the Honda 5w-20 synthetic blend.

If you're going to seek out Honda-brand oil, get the 0w20.

IMHO, there is a noticeable difference in starts even between 0 and 32 degrees, and it gets dramatic below zero, even when comparing 5W-30 dino to 5W-30 synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Typicaly, Syn oils have better flow for cold starting but, it also depends on how cold out it is!

At certain cold outside temps, oh let's say at zero deg F, they may both be the same, i.e. syn 5W30 vs. dino 5W30.

But when it gets really cold outside,(-20 or -30 deg F.) the way Minnesota can get, syn oils would be best. IDK how cold it can actually get in Minnesota but, living there, you might want to consider syn for the winter months just to eliminate the guess work.

Our coldest here this year in Rochester, NY IIRC, has been -7 deg F. Dino is fine! But, if we were to get as cold as some other places in the U.S. and Canada, I would run straight syn in the winter time. In the mean time, a blend works for me. My own blend of course...2 qts syn & 3 qts dino all 5W30

What brand do you use for your blend? I'm guessing it would be a no-no to mix brands?

Get a bottle of each and leave them outside then shake them about or do your own pour test. You'll convince yourself better than we ever could.

Save the dino for April.
wink.gif

I'd go with their 0W20 or Castrol Edge 0W20. A Wolverine Oil Pan heater is another good idea, and very easy to install.

Try M1 0-20, or other quality 0-20s. There is a differance in extreme cold. If you are looking for better cold starting don't go with with a blend. In your climate choose synthetic.

If you have any doubt, try the freezer comparison test. It will make a believer out of you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jaydee
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

What brand do you use for your blend? I'm guessing it would be a no-no to mix brands?

Mixing brands and grades won't hurt anything. I've been doing it for 40 years. Just not as much today. But, this is another story.

To start - Read spec on the SPECIFIC OIL of comparison for MRV or CCS report - given most oils branded as synthetic ouside germany/Japan ARE NOT 80% SYNTHETIC. They are also not high % regio-regular and may loose significant cold pump-a-bility after a couple thousand miles in service. If your car specs 20 grade you should be fine rather than trying to find a thin 30 grade ( I recommend Motul 8100 Eco-nergy). Also, the suggested pan and block heater will help more than any oil (just watch out for freezing up the PCV and AF if you are a short tripper - that water vapour has to go somewhere ...).

The filter shouldn't affect cold start up at all, correct?
Filters affect everything on my Toyota with VVTi. Most are NO GOOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back