4 New Conti DWSs, Car Now Pulls Hard To The Right

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had 4 Conti Extreme DWS, 225/40/18 installed this morning, and the car now pulls hard to the right. I had them swap the tire's/wheels location 3 times, rebalance, double check psi to no avail. I then headed over to the alignment shop for a four wheel alignment. The shop said my car was perfectly within spec at all for corners, so they only charged me a flat rate minimum of $38.

My 2006, Mazda3 hatch has never pulled in any direction, ever. My Kumho SPT's went 41K miles, and had no abnormal wear. America's Tire co. is going to give me four new 225/40/18 Yokohama S-Drives on Friday for no charge. They said that one of the tires must be the problem, but there is no real easy way to find the defective tire.

Anybody else ever have this happen after replacing with 4 new tires?? Weird.

Last edited:
The Conti Extreme DWS 235/45-17 on my E430 tracks straight and true on flat surface even with no hands on steering wheel at highway speed.

Yea, that's what I'm thinking too! I was very happy with my SPT's, but I wanted to try the DWS's because of the good reviews...........I should of just stayed with the Kumhos!

I hope the Yokohama S-Drives are as good as the SPT's.

My neighbor told me that he had a "radial pull" on a brand new set of Rikens. He said the shop changed out 1 tire at a time untill the pull was gone. He said it was the 3 tire.

I'm glad Americas Tire didn't make me go through all of that!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: D Bone
Originally Posted By: rshunter
Every test I've seen shows the Kumho decisively outclassing the Yokohama.

I liked my SPT's a lot, but the last 10k, the road noise was unacceptable. I saw this test on TireRack, and they gave the top spot to the S-Drives. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=131

Hmm, hadn't seen that one. I remember the earlier one where they came in third, though.

Simple test: Swap the front tires side to side.

1) If the pull completely changes direction, it’s 100% the tires.

2) If the pull doesn’t change at all, then it’s 100% in the vehicle, usually alignment, but it’s possible that it’s a dragging brake or something else.

3) If the pull disappears or changes – other than completely changing direction - it’s both the tires and the vehicle.

While your post said the tire were tried in different posisitons with no effect, it isn't clear that the simple swap was done.

Do the test. Let us know the result.

Did it pull alternately left or right when you swapped them?

I had radial pull in a new Pilot Sport. Ended up in several arguments over it, from the tire shop who denies it, and wants to charge you for alignment on a new car, strait thru to tire rack, who insisted a bad tire could ONLY pull, and treated me like an idiot for thinking anything could be wrong w/a michelin, turns out the bad tire was PUSHING, not pulling.

I personally have concerns about the quality of Contis, although they are on the top of the list for my wife's Astra. Same for the Generals about quality, sorry people.

I like Yokos in general and feel like the sdrives will treat you well.

Originally Posted By: D Bone
.............They said that one of the tires must be the problem, but there is no real easy way to find the defective tire...................

You need to find a shop with a Hunter GSP9700 balancer. It has a StraightTrak® LFM (Lateral Force Measurement*) feature that can identify tire pull problems.

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/StraightTrak.cfm

I bought 2 sets of these tires one for a 2002 Maxima and another for an X3. On the X3 it tracks straight as an arrow. On the Maxima the car is VERY sensitive to the crown of the road...

Update: America's Tire Co installed 4 225/40/18 Yokohama S.drives today, and my car tracks like its on rails. No fade, no wander, no tram-lining on SoCal's grooved freeways. I don't know what the problem was with the DWS's, but I am happy that America's Tire Co. treated me so well..............Long time future customer!

NOW you've got me concerned! I got 4 new DWS's a few months ago w/ an alignment; afterwards, I immediately noticed it pulling to the right also!
I assumed it was the alignment, they re-did it, and it seemed fine after that.
but after a few weeks or so, it seems to be pulling (ever so slightly) to the right again.
the tirescome w/ free lifetime rotations, so we'll see what they are like after that.
otherwise the tires are great! snow and wet traction is excellent, no vibrations or funny stuff besides the slight pulling.

I wanted to - couldn't figure it out somehow (where is that function on the user CP?)
- can you tell me how?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I wanted to - couldn't figure it out somehow (where is that function on the user CP?)
- can you tell me how?
smile.gif

Click on the member's name to the left of their post, then click on "View profile" from the drop-down list. On their profile page, in the top box titled "Profile for...", in the shaded bar across its bottom you'll see "Ignore this user" as the second option. Click on it and voilà, you're done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back