2008 Honda Civic sedan Spark plug replacement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any recommendation for the replacement mileage for the spark plugs on the civic and any recommendation for the replacement plug (I prefer MPG over performance).

I currently have 45,000 miles on the orginial plugs.

Thanks!

I'd pull and inspect them at 70k unless your manual states to replace earlier. Most manufacturers are using double plat's now that call for 100k of use.

I'm a little apprehensive about leaving a plug in that long mainly to avoid the plug seizing.

On a 4 cyl whre it's simple to access the plugs, I'd pull and inspect at 70k. Chances are the plug still has plenty of life left. If so, apply a small amont of anti-seize to the threads and reinstall.

For engines with not-so-easily accessable plugs running double plats, I'd just pull and replace at 75-80k as it's not worth the hassle of going back in again in, say 30k.

As far as plugs go I always try to get NGK Iridium. I've also heard good things about Denso plugs, but never used them. Three mechanics I've talked to recommended staying away from Bosch because they don't last as long as NGK/Denso. Inspecting plugs at 45k might be a good idea, but inspection is essentially the same work as replacement. Thus you might be better off replacing them. If original spark plugs look OK you'll know that the replacement set will last longer than 45k. If they look pretty bad - you'll know that you need to have them replaced at 45-50k interval.

Here are the Factory Denso spark plugs from my 2007 Civic EX @ 95k when i decided to replace them while doing a bunch of major maintenance.

I didn't see any difference after installing new plugs (also Denso) still cranks the same, idles the same and gets the same MPGs.

These new R18 engines are Extremely efficient and are very easy on engine components. I say you DON'T waste your money when you really don't have too.

The days of replacing plugs every 30k are long gone, just like 3k OCIs. Honda uses Iridium Plugs, not some cheap no name, copper [censored].

Here's Denso's website with info on the Exact model plug you need for your civic. Denso Iridium

I found them cheapest at Amazon.com but they are sold out.

You can also get them here Club RSX parts

DSC_0548.jpg

DSC_0550.jpg

Replace with the factory part after 80K-100K miles. Will probably be an NGK or Denso Iridium plug. They are about 10 bucks a piece but they last a long time.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I'd change them at 50k. It's cheap insurance. Plugs are what, $2 each?

Not the correct ones.
Iridium plugs are anywhere from $7 to $12 from what I've seen for my Honda's.

My 2001 Civic's cost $11 each on rockauto.com
I changed them every 90-100k.

I wouldn't be to concerned about using Iridiums in a Honda that is very easy to change.
Iridiums are great in my GM V6 because it is very difficult to access the rear plugs for removal (100K replacement interval eases the pain somewhat)
In a Honda I'd use $3 platinums and change them every 50K.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I wouldn't be to concerned about using Iridiums in a Honda that is very easy to change.
Iridiums are great in my GM V6 because it is very difficult to access the rear plugs for removal (100K replacement interval eases the pain somewhat)
In a Honda I'd use $3 platinums and change them every 50K.

33.gif
its the same thing cost wise.

$6 Platinums every 50k
$10 Iridiums every 100k

Not everyone is mechanically included and has the tools to DIY. Paying someone to do it every 50k is stupid when you can use quality products and change at the recommended interval (designed to SAVE you MONEY!!)

You cheap guys are idiots, in my book.

Originally Posted By: Artem
33.gif
its the same thing cost wise.

$6 Platinums every 50k
$10 Iridiums every 100k

Not everyone is mechanically included and has the tools to DIY. Paying someone to do it every 50k is stupid when you can use quality products and change at the recommended interval (designed to SAVE you MONEY!!)

You cheap guys are idiots, in my book.

Where does the OP say anything about having a shop/dealer do the work? Since he made no mention, I think most responses safely assume he's DIY.

Anyway, the day I spend $10 for some gimmick like iridium spark plugs is the day that... well that day won't ever come. Unless you've got some super-exotic engine or one that's VERY hard on plugs, double plats will cover 100k at 1/2 cost.

Am I cheap? Maybe. But spending an extra $4(x4,6,8) on something that provides no real benefit seems to better fit the definition of idiocy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hounddog
What is used from factory to obtain 100000 service life.Iridium's or Platinum's? I'm wanting to use a long service life plug in my 2009 5.7 Hemi. Irduims are $13 to $16 bucks each. The Hemi takes 16 plugs.

Maybe a Hemi owner will chime in, but Mopars are one of the few(maybe last?) manufacturer to use basic copper plugs from the factory. I'm not sure if the Hemi uses copper or x2 plats. Does the owners manual have a spec?

I know my 4.7 calls for coppers at 30k. Word is changing to something longer lasting will cause cel's.

Try a search. Hemi + plugs. May have been discussed before.

If the spec is copper or 2x plat, I'd stick with those. Paying an unnecessary premium on 16 iridium plugs isn't chump change.

I'd say follow your OM replacement interval recommendation. Went ~100k on OE sparks on an 01 Civic. IIRC, they were Denso's. Replaced with NGK Iridium ix, at the time less expensive than the Denso's. IMO, either the NGK ix or OE Denso's are the top choices.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
What is used from factory to obtain 100000 service life.Iridium's or Platinum's? I'm wanting to use a long service life plug in my 2009 5.7 Hemi. Irduims are $13 to $16 bucks each. The Hemi takes 16 plugs.

As a long term Hemi owner, here's the lowdown for ya.

The 5.7 ships with cheapo copper plugs to save money. It also encourages a visit to the stealership for added profits.

Note that the similar 6.1 in my car uses NGK platinum/iridium hybrids and calls for 100K mile replacements.

Your 5.7 will run fine on almost any plug. Stay away from the gimmicky ones like E3 and such, and pick a plug based on how often you want to change it.

Iridium's at 100k or so, and you'll be fine.

I recently replaced the factory Iridiums in Vibe at 120k miles. They came out with no seize or freeze issues. Went back in with no problems, and probably could of went a few more thousand miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back