Official Toyota Oil Recommendation Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

I recently sent Toyota Canada an email asking which engines can run 0W20 (since the question comes up with almost uncanny regularity).

The chart is interesting actually - notice how Toyota has gone 0w20 almost exclusively for 2011/2012, with the exception of the Avalon. Weird..what's with the Avalon?

Lexus owners - just find a Toyota vehicle that uses the same engine as your Lexus.

By the way, how do I attach just the .pdf instead of an image file? That way you can download it and enlarge it as needed using Adobe Reader.

toyotaoilrecommendation.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah the Camry V6 is odd..there's a bunch of older years where it was OK to run 0W20, then some recent years where it wasn't, then more recently, it was OK again.

That actually clears up some of the confusion with the 5-20 TSB, this is the more liberal application of the two interpretations of that.

Like I mentioned on the Lexus Board. I have been wanting to try the 5/0W20,now I can. And I have something to back it up as well.Thanks again RCY.
grin2.gif

Go ahead and run it. I've been running 0W20 for this winter and last with no problems and a good UOA last winter. You can probably tell I'm a fan of 0W20.

Yeah, weird how the Tacoma L4 goes for three years calling for 20 weight only, then goes back to 30 weight being OK for the 2010 year, and finally switches back to only 0W-20 for the last two years.

Thanks for posting this.

BIU can help you make it a pdf image, that would be nice
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rcy
Go ahead and run it. I've been running 0W20 for this winter and last with no problems and a good UOA last winter. You can probably tell I'm a fan of 0W20.

I am too. I have it in my '11 Camry, obviously, and also in my '05 MDX (which called for 5W-20 anyway). Predictably, it runs great in both cars, but the Honda V-6 is notably smooth on the M1 0W-20 it has.

Chart doesnt make sense reading the legend. There is no key for three dots. Your assumption would be: can use all grades. How-a-bout some climate/ambient temp service clarity? Toyota confuscation/obfuscation yet again!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Chart doesnt make sense reading the legend. There is no key for three dots. Toyota confuscation again!

It is a little obfuscated. The blue dot is really 5w-20. The chart doesn't make it clear. They have obfuscated their own key/legend, IMO. Red 5w30, blue 5w20, green 0w20. That's it. They should have just put that on the key.

So an 8th gen corolla can take a 0w 20? Am I reading that correctly? Those piston rings are undersized and will likely consume more oil than a heavier oil.

Originally Posted By: justinf89
the camry I used to have called for 10w-30. Nice chart though.

So did mine,was it a 3rd gen camry?

rcy, great chart.

And for readers I would add not to overlook the fact that these recommendations are for Toyota Brand oils, and it pays to know the spec's behind the oils if you are going to use a non spec' oil.
In particular the Toyota brand 0W-20 is unique and the only 0W-20's that are similar is Honda's version, Castrol Edge, ENEOS and CAM II.

Chart doesnt make sense reading the legend. There is no key for three dots. Your assumption would be: can use all grades. How-a-bout some climate/ambient temp service clarity? Toyota confuscation/obfuscation yet again!

I read it as RED is 5W30, BLUE is 5W20 and GREEN is 0W20. If it has all three coloured dots, then you can run any of those three weights.

Seems straightforward enough to me, though, as TinmanSC states, simply putting in the legend what each colour dot stands for makes more sense than lumping them together

Last edited:
just checked the FAQ section of the Scion website and it says for 05-06 scion tC's to use 5w-30 while 07 and up should use 5w or 0w-20. hmm

Originally Posted By: rcy

I read it as RED is 5W30, BLUE is 5W20 and GREEN is 0W20. If it has all three coloured dots, then you can run any of those three weights.

Seems straightforward enough to me, though, as TinmanSC states, simply putting in the legend what each colour dot stands for makes more sense than lumping them together

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back