GM-LL-B-025 Specification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I beleive this has been superceeded by the new GM Dexos II specification, I'm wondering if anybody has any specific information on its properties.

From what I've been able to gather I reckon it must have a HTHS of at least 3.5 cP, as I haven't seen an oil meeting this spec without an ACEA A3/B3/B4 specification. But does anybody know if there's a certain base oil that is required? Or a minimum TBN? Minimum sulfur content? Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

GM (OPEL) SPECIFICATIONS

The manufacturer requires for all vehicles the European specifications ACEA A3-98 and B3-98 with different viscosimetric grades - SAE 0/5/10 W - 30/40 with oil change at 15 thousand km or 1 year with Euro 2 engines (manufactured before 2001) and 30 thousand km or 1 year with Euro 3 engines.

In 2002 Opel also introduced the Opel Long Life Service Oils (starting from the Vectra model year 2002), a variable oil change interval that can reach 30 thousand km or 2 years for petrol engines (specification GM-LL-B-025) and 50 thousand km or 2 years for diesels 2.0 and 2.2 DTI (GM-LL-A-025).
The cars that use Opel Long Life Service Oils must pass ACEA specifications A3, B3, B4 and Opel tests B040 2095 HTHS >2.9 and B040 2098 for lubricants with HTHS >3.5.
This lubricant qualification system has been developed with the support of independent German laboratories who perform engine tests (for wear, deposits and F.E.) or tribological ones, using Opel’s procedures.

It seems the specs got mixed up in this thread, GM-LL-A-025 is the petrol spec and GM-LL-B-025 is the diesel one. The interesting thing is that most ACEA A3/B4 oils meet the diesel spec, but not the petrol one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back