Castrol "R" racing 2-stroke castor bean oil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can still smell it!! I believe this stuff made really good horsepower and little wear. I ran it in all my dirtbikes in the early 70's.... Is anyone still using it or still available?

nope. I'm totally into Mobil 2T oil or Castrol full syn oil. Castor bean oil is old technologies and it tends to gum up the rings quickly when under extreme heat so in no way I'm going back to castor oil based 2T oil.

Q.

Castrol R40 is still available in the UK. Over here, if you want the beanoil smell, you either come to my house after I mow the lawn,(not so good) or get Castrol A747 (their syn/castor blend and oh so sweet), Maxima 927 or Klotz BeNol. A747 is a rather thick 2t oil ringing in at an SAE50. Blendzall makes a product called Ultra that is a bean base injector oil on the other end of the scale, about a 20 weight.

Last edited:
I've still got a nearly full 1 litre bottle of R30,don't have a 2 stroke bike anymore,so my weedeater smells good.Makes a hard carbon...you don't want to have to do unnecessary maintenance on a weedeater.

Castor oil was also used in worm final drives,mainly in trucks,but the Peugeot 404 had castor oil in it's diff too.Also works in gearboxes too.I'd like to see a UOA or VOA on castor oil.

Honda makes some stuff called HP2, its in a blue bottle and heavy heavy film base.

My preference is Yamalube R . back in the 70's when bean oil was popular, many noted how clean yamalube R ran.

My mc shop was totally shocked I still had cross hairs cylinder on my cr250 after 2 years with Yamalube R.

Now if you have a kawasaki with elctrofusion cyliner coating, I highly recommend the strong film base of the Honda HP2. Thos platings are weak and paper thin.

My last 2-stroke dirt bike was 1983. I used "Golden Spectro" at that time. It ran super clean. Almost zero carbon build up on the piston etc. Good cylinder-piston wear. That was a decent 2-stroke oil.

I used to go to the MX races up at Pepperel and Southwick Mass back in the late 70's. The small of Castrol R was awesome!

Originally Posted By: Blaze
Southwick is a great moto-x track!! perfect sandy loam!

It really is one of the great outdoor tracks, along with Unadilla, etc. I lived and breathed dirt bikes during the 70's growing up in Mass. I think I rode every sunday in Miles Standish SF for something like 10 years straight! Those were the days...

I think 80% of the people that use Castor bean oil, do so because of the smell. Nasty stuff internally though. Great protection, Great smell. Total nightmare with power valves. Ive had my best luck with Yamalube 2R. Although I am trying the Castol TTS outnow and it seems like a Great oil and it is FD rated, so its super clean burning.

Originally Posted By: Redline955
Originally Posted By: Blaze
Southwick is a great moto-x track!! perfect sandy loam!

It really is one of the great outdoor tracks, along with Unadilla, etc. I lived and breathed dirt bikes during the 70's growing up in Mass. I think I rode every sunday in Miles Standish SF for something like 10 years straight! Those were the days...
I agree with you 100%. I used to go to alot of Motocross events. I used to go to Mount Morris and Johnstowns Cernics track and it was Great. Last year I went to the Supercross in Daytona, the fireworks were Great, but those four strokes, just dont do it for me. Not impressed, wouldnt go again.

I just recently had about 500 slides put on a DVD. Some of them are the outdoor nationals in the 70's. I followed and raced moto-x in the 70's too. A little in the early 80's. My back couldn't take it today.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I buy pure castor oil and mix a little in my Dominator mix. My bikes love it.

Hey Pablo, just got back into 2 smokes and I'm going to run Dominator since I'm on the Amsoil bandwagon. I like the thought of mixing some castor oil in since I used to run Maxima 927 and liked the way it performed. How much castor do you run in your mix and is there any particular brand that's better than another?

This is where I was today - Castrol R and methanol in the air.The tape has just hit the top and they are off.Pretty hard to capture a start with the delay of a digital camera.

P2270003.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back