any good power steering additive or fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
i want to use a high quality fluid and or additive is there anything proven to be better or work better kind of how a cheap conventional oil is out classed by a group4 sunthetic.

Redline or Amsoil P/S fluid has very positive reviews.

I like to use the Lubegard P/S protectant or the ATP universal p/s fluid protectant.
But for the most part if the car is newer, I stick to the mfgr recommendation and use addtives when the mileage gets way up there or there's an issue..

Originally Posted By: ccapital83
kind of how a cheap conventional oil is out classed by a group4 sunthetic.
P/S work is very low-stress on the fluid, unless you're tracking the car on a blazingly hot day. Spending big bux on a synthetic fluid is kind of a waste. Use what the manufacturer recommends. IMHO. YMMV.

I've heard good stuff about the Lucas Power Steering additive....but really, I don't think the P/S is overworked that much to warrant the need for special additives other than what's specd by your vehicle manufacturer and/or owner's manual....

I mean, if you got the money to spend, and plan on keeping the car forever; go ahead and check out the Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc. equivalents
smile.gif

Some time down the road, I'll likely slowly "upgrade" all my fluids to full synthetic Royal Purple after I read good reviews of their products. And the fact that they are easy to obtain (WM, AZ, AAP, etc...) is a plus.

Amsoil, Redline, Sweet, Pentosin, RoyalPurple, JoeGibbs, Wynns, BG, Bardahl, Gunk, Synlube, Lubro-Moly.... all have synthetic power steering fluids.

If you use a quality name brand synthetic PSF, there is NO need for any additives.

Synthetic fluid works great in cold climates, like NY winters. PSF is also a rarely maintained and is usually an unfiltered fluid. A synthetic is an easy 1st upgrade. So, synth is not a waste.

If you use a generic PSF, like whatever is on the shelf at your local department or automotive parts store, then I'd recommend dosing it with Lubegard. I'd only recommend Lucas for warmer climates and for leaking pumps as it is very thick.

My Sonata requires synthetic PSF. I replaced approx. 90% the factory fluid last summer with Royal Purple synthetic PSF, and it's working great. The pump stays pretty quiet in the cold now, unlike with the factory fluid.

Originally Posted By: RPMster
My Sonata requires synthetic PSF. I replaced approx. 90% the factory fluid last summer with Royal Purple synthetic PSF, and it's working great. The pump stays pretty quiet in the cold now, unlike with the factory fluid.

Southern California and Cold Weather doesn't sound right !!!

Cold...relatively speaking. I've experienced PS pumps that were quiet at 70 to 80 degrees, but when temps dropped to the 40's or 50's they started to get noisy. This is where the synthetic fluids seem to excel.

Many PS pumps that whine are made better with a small shot of old fashioned STP. It has added years to a lot of failing pumps.

For normal use, a full synth ATF is always a good idea. PS systems can run HOT! And you get the flow benefit iat really cold temps.
I have also heard that the Lucas additive for PS systems has worked out well for noise and leaks.

I have mentioned this in the past. I have used Honda P/S fluid in many GM vehicles with good success. Even the BARDAHL Honda P/S fluid from Wal*Mart works well. Quiets down the noise in GM P/S units(which many folks call this noise; morning sickness). It's around $3/12oz.

Started using it in Honda's when I made a mistake by using the wrong P/S fluid(STP) in a Honda and lost my steering return(but not total power steering). Flushed out the STP and filled with the BARDAHL/HONDA P/S fluid and everything was fine again.

A friend with an OLD's Alero pulled in the drive way and asked me to listen to her noise under the hood. It was the P/S unit! I syphoned out as much fluid as I could and ONLY topped off with some of the remaining Bardahl/Honda P/S fluid in my stash, and in a short time the noise was gone. And stayed gone til she traded the car.

Give it a try, it doesn't hurt anything!

I am currently using the Bardahl/Honda P/S fluid in my '80 Firebird FORMULA P/S unit and have been for ~20 yrs.

Also, I syphoned out some P/S fluid in my daughter's 2006 Mazda3 P/S unit because I heard some whining, and added the Honda P/S fluid not realizing that the Mazda3 unit is an electric P/S unit.
That was over 1 year ago and no issues to date. Didn't quiet down the unit though because it's the electric motor that we're hearing. But, No Problems!

I'm not saying the the Honda P/S fluid is the answer to all P/S unit noises or cures, nor am I saying that the Honda P/S fluid is better than some of the other P/S fluids mentioned. I used it because I have owned Honda autos and had their P/S fluid in my stash. But, I do beleive it is a better P/S fluid than your normal run of the mill, off the shelf P/S fluid(STP, Prestone, PYROL). That's all!
Even PYROL makes a HONDA P/S fluid equivolent. I saw it at AutoZone. The best Honda P/S fluid(from what I understand) is the actual Honda fluid from the dealer.

LubeGard(ILI)makes a power steering fluid that is an equivolent to the Honda fluid and they also make a P/S fluid addative/supplement that can be added to any P/S unit. And this converts any power steering fluid into HONDA P/S fluid, they say!

Last edited:
Honda PSF is 30-50% thicker than regular PSF. In a non-Honda application, I would only use it if there were leaks in system or in warmer climates, and most likely not up north.

Electric PSF needs a well flowing PSF. Don't want the motor to burn out with too thick cold PSF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back