2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
recommended 5w30 or 5w40 also listed is 10w30 and 10w40 recommended API is SM and ILSAC is GF-4
Northeast Pennsylvania
I can drive anything from easy trying to squeeze every mpg I can get or hard and fast. over the course of my 7500mile manufacturer recommended OCI It's probably 65/35 easy/hard
My daily drive is very short, coming in at 1.3mi one way to work.
I am still just a bit under 30k and have not seen or heard any problems from the engine compartment

I am currently on RP 5w-30 with a K&N filter, I will probably continue with this filter selection as my first OCI after purchase the filter was barely able to be removed using a slightly modified filter socket.
I shouldn't have this trouble again as I will be the only one changing my oil from now on and I have no plans to over tighten however that 1" nut on the original filter would have made my morning a whole lot less frustrating.

Oils I am interested in are M1, GC, Sticking to RP, or Pennzoil. In fact by the time this site taught me of GC last night it was too late for me to hightail it to the nearest AZ to grab the deal.
For any of the oil's I am interested in possibly going to a 0w30. As stated earlier my OCI's will be 7500miles as the car is still under extended warranty.

I am willing to make online/mail order purchase however with shipping I want to keep these as close to 35$ for 5qt's as possible (engine takes 4.2) from what I have seen this mostly just pulls amsoil from the eligibility list.

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.

A non turbo Subaru H4 is usually pretty easy on oil. Some tend to dump fuel a bit, but I think Subaru's run a little rich, at least by smell.

I like the PureOne for oil filter, as its' specs are close to the OEM in regards to the oddly high bypass setting.

For oils, I think PP, Synpower, or even Rotella T6 would be a good fit. My 2003 has had a mainly SOPUS products diet for its' service life thus far and seems fairly happy with it, although I tend to change dino oil every 5k or so.

I work at Lancaster Subaru in Lancaster,PA and we use Castrol bulk 5w30 and Subaru filters typically. Turbo cars get Subaru (Idemitsu) Synthetic 5w30 and a Subaru filter. I can tell you people have had issues with everything from leakage to engine tapping when they use aftermarket filters. At about $6 for the filter and $1.50 for the crush ring, why would you want to go aftermarket? One thing that IS crucial for Subarus is that you don't try and stretch your oil change intervals and sludge up the engine. We've had several customers that have gone over 15K on an oil change and they wonder why they have gasket failures at 75K miles. I would stick with a 5w30, whether it be a conventional or synthetic oil- it doesn't really matter. Also, be sure to replace your PCV valve every 30K miles, as recommended, so you are properly venting your crankcase gasses.

Originally Posted By: ethangsmith
I work at Lancaster Subaru in Lancaster,PA and we use Castrol bulk 5w30 and Subaru filters typically. Turbo cars get Subaru (Idemitsu) Synthetic 5w30 and a Subaru filter. I can tell you people have had issues with everything from leakage to engine tapping when they use aftermarket filters. At about $6 for the filter and $1.50 for the crush ring, why would you want to go aftermarket? One thing that IS crucial for Subarus is that you don't try and stretch your oil change intervals and sludge up the engine. We've had several customers that have gone over 15K on an oil change and they wonder why they have gasket failures at 75K miles. I would stick with a 5w30, whether it be a conventional or synthetic oil- it doesn't really matter. Also, be sure to replace your PCV valve every 30K miles, as recommended, so you are properly venting your crankcase gasses.

If any of my local dealers had the OEM filters at a competitive price I might actually use them. But when a PureOne is $4 or $5 and the OEM is $7-9...a sale the dealership does not get.

Your driving habits put you in the severe service category. You should be changing the oil at 3750 miles maximum, synthetic or conventional.

Ed

We have the same engine in our Forester.
Depending upon ambient temps, the OM allows the use of just about any grade you can think of.
Ours has been on GC for the past few changes, and seems happy with it.
I don't run long intervals, only 5K.
The GC does seem to reduce the volume of the Subaru music, and fuel economy will never be great with any oil.
You could try GC, picking it up on sale from Pep Boys or AutoZone.
Filters?
Not sure it really matters.
FWIR, the plain Puro classic is closest to the OEM bypass spec.
I have used M1s, the grey can Fram, and a K&N.
There is a school of thought that suggests that Subaru flat fours like a little thicker oil, so GC may fill the bill.
Others report good results with Rotella 5W-40 in turbos, so it should work well in an NA.
Welcome to BITOG, and welcome to the Subie cult as well.

welcome2.gif

N/A Subaru's are usually easy on oil, as mentioned, but those short trips can be tough on it. I would probably do a uoa on whatever synthetic 30 grade you want at 5k miles and see how the oil is holding up. I wouldn't go any thicker than GC.

-Dennis

I have the same engine in my '09 Forester. The non-turbo Subaru engines run on just about anything. I've been using M1 0w-30 for the last three oil changes and have no complaints about it. Engine runs fine, starts right up even on the coldest nights (though the coldest nights here are maybe in the teens, usually in the 20's), and UOAs show that M1 0w-30 to be a very solid oil choice. I'm happy with it.

Though that being said, I am looking to try different oils. Not b/c there's anything wrong with the M1 0w-30 (and I'll probably come back to it), but just b/c I'm bored and want to try some other oils to see how they are

First of All Thanks for all of the replies. Second I would like to mention that I do average 150 highway miles on weekends (75 one way) if it makes much of a difference. Either way it looks like a slightly shortened OCI
with a UOA would be a good choice. Sounds like with a change needing to come sooner than later the car will probably see M1 or PP while I watch for a GC sale.

Ethan, I honestly never thought about the OEM filter and I will have to contact my local dealership and price one if it's decently priced I may switch otherwise I have no known issues with the K&N. You also suggest changing the PCV valve as part of scheduled maintenance after not finding this in my schedule I googled leading me to http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/158206-replacing-pcv-valve-6.html with conflicting suggestions about the PCV albeit in the performance model however it is safe to figure that for this particular part turbo/non turbo makes no difference. Would you mind elaborating on why it needs changed even though it's absent from the schedule? Thank you.

Yes, the weekly highway trips will help some. The damage done to the oil due to the fuel dilution and water content during the week is irreversible.

Do a UOA at 5K with TBN and TAN. Go from there.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back