Big problems with Peak synthetic 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got two of the Pep boys Peak syn. and fram filter specials on black friday. It is 5w30. Finally got around to changing the oil a few days ago. The vehicle is a 2002 Silverado Z71 5.3 81k miles, auto that is very well maintained. Yesterday temps about 30F started normal and as I drove away it clattered something terrible for about 20 seconds. Almost sounded like rod bearings. I'm thinking lifters, as I looked at the oil gauge and it was at 40+ psi at the time. REALLY shocked/alarmed me. Is this oil junk?? I have always used either mobil 1 or PP usually in 5w30 but sometimes 10w30, NEVER heard a noise like this before. Thought maybe it was the [censored] fram filter, so I changed it to a Pureolator, same noise. Thing is with this weather, I cannot get out in the driveway and change it anytime soon. Has anyone ever heard of this happening simply due to changing oil brands???

I also would have changed the filter first. 30 isn't that cold that there should be weird noises. Best of luck, this is very odd.

Try changing to a filter with a silicon ADBV as opposed to one with a nitrile ADBV. I highly doubt the oil alone is responsible, Peak 5w-30 Synthetic is API ,GF-4 approved so should be good. Try a Wix or Purolator PureOne filter with the silicon valve ,I have found in my experience those pretty much quiet up any start up chatter in any of my cars or family members cars I work on.

The filter is what I would change first, silicone or nitrile should make no difference in the problems you are having. If the problem persists, put a better oil in there. up to 15% if ILSAC GF-4 API SM oils fail tests they shouldn't fail. They never disclose brands to the public but PEAK oil isn't the greatest. I would go PYB, VWB or better. It will do you better in the long run.

Thats a nice truck. go on ahead and put some nice valvoline or something in it. and a different filter

Last edited:
Lots of responses missed the fact that he did try another filter, same noise. Change back to the previous oil and see if the noise persists. If it does, it's just all in your head
grin2.gif

i dont know why recommending dino, he says hes used pp and m1 in the past, id say go back to that

Still not sure if it is the filter or the oil. I believe that I have used the purolator's in the past with good results. Guess I'll stop in walmart tommorrow after work and see what the prices are on a jug of PP, maybe Ultra, as I have been wanting to try it out. Will probably stick with the supertech filters that I have had good luck with in the past, or a AC delco if they have one in stock. Possibly something let go in the engine, but that would be a strange concidence, with the timing of the oil change.

The Pure One is one of the best filters on the market. Switch out the oil, and if you just put that filter on leave it. Don't even change it. If PP has worked in the past go with it.

I would say Valvoline, but I'm a brand loyal kinda guy.

Also, I had a buddy's engine let go 22 miles after switching from 5w-40 to GC (Golf 2.0 ABA engine). I don't think it was related to the oil in hsi case, but you never know.

Some engines can be picky. Some oils can be noisy. If you get both, then you'll notice.

The Peak is a 5w30 full synthetic. Since you already changed out the filter, its definitely your engine or the oil, or a combination of both.

Just run it 3k-5k and switch back to whatever brand you used before. And, make sure oil level is topped off and perfect.

The other issue is weather. Sudden cold spell just after the oil change and you wrongly blame the oil/filter.

Its a small-block Chevy. Piston slap is normal.

Originally Posted By: cryption

FWIW I wouldn't run Peak in anything but a lawn mower.

Easy, im particular of my lawnmower
thumbsup2.gif

See what I get for assuming!

The Purolator classic is a good filter, as well. Next time grab a Pure one. Change the oil and see what happens man. I man really, you are asking on an internet forum but you know what the truck sounds like. If it doesn't sound right and all you have done is change the oil - it would reason that going back to status quo could be a good first step

See what I get for assuming!

The Purolator classic is a good filter, as well. Next time grab a Pure one. Change the oil and see what happens man. I man really, you are asking on an internet forum but you know what the truck sounds like. If it doesn't sound right and all you have done is change the oil - it would reason that going back to status quo could be a good first step

Your exactly right. I'm going back to a known smooth running/quiet oil and filter combo. Had a feeling I shouldn't have bought this off brand oil in the first place. But is was/is full syn, so how bad can it be!! Just can't believe simply changing brands could cause this. BTW is it possible for the lifters to be this picky on oil???

Originally Posted By: kcfx4

FWIW I wouldn't run Peak in anything but a lawn mower.

Easy, im particular of my lawnmower
thumbsup2.gif

+1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back