Do all-terrain tires last longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I researched it further and I don't like the higher price and lower MPG of the AT either. It is a good looking tire with agressive tread but I haven't had any problems in the rain with my LE's either. The other thing I like about the LE is it does very well in braking and panic stops. Around here people love to slam on their brakes when they are in front of you. I don't know why that is, but I had to make a panic stop like that yesterday and my truck stopped just as firm and quickly as it did when my LE's were new.

Plus there have been times where I had to stop very quickly when the yellow light turns red. Around here they have those red-light cameras that can get you a ticket for going under a yellow light a little too late. So I will save my money and MPG and most likely just buy anoher set of LE's. Now I am just waiting to see if there is a good rebate or sale on the LE here some time soon.

Jimmy,

The LE's are a great tire. I just bought a set of the Yokohama HT's for my wife's Pilot and I couldn't be happier with them. Balanced out really good, ride nice and smooth, and fairly quiet. They also have a more open tread pattern. They are priced right in the range of the LE's too.

I agree you should get what you need.

However, my brother in law has ran both the tires you're contemplating, the LE's and A/T's....currently has the A/T's and loves them so much better and they're lasting longer.

As for the miles per gallon theory, he hasn't lost any, and you can get the A/T's in the Passanger rated size as well.

My rodeo came with the smoothest All season tires you can imagine from the factory; I averaged 16-18mpg city then; I still average 16-18mpg now 13yrs later with all terrain tires.

Those that have experienced mpg loss, I can't say, but I have 3 trucks that all came with all-season tires from factory that are now running and have been running A/T's .....there's been no mpg loss on any of them.

All in all, truthfully though, in florida, you can run any cheap tire and do just fine. I'm sure there are off-brand tires from any reputable tire store that would be lots cheaper then LE's.

Every truck I have ever had( 10 differet ones from Dodge and Chevy )have always suffered MPG loss from AT tires. Anyone I know of who has run AS and AT on the same truck has seen MPG loss with the AT's.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Thanks. I researched it further and I don't like the higher price and lower MPG of the AT either. It is a good looking tire with agressive tread but I haven't had any problems in the rain with my LE's either. The other thing I like about the LE is it does very well in braking and panic stops. Around here people love to slam on their brakes when they are in front of you. I don't know why that is, but I had to make a panic stop like that yesterday and my truck stopped just as firm and quickly as it did when my LE's were new.

Plus there have been times where I had to stop very quickly when the yellow light turns red. Around here they have those red-light cameras that can get you a ticket for going under a yellow light a little too late. So I will save my money and MPG and most likely just buy anoher set of LE's. Now I am just waiting to see if there is a good rebate or sale on the LE here some time soon.

As a rule Firestone/Bridgestone have a spring and fall promotion each year. It is either a prepaid credit card rebate or a buy 3 get the 4th free type of deal. Start looking around March-April. Should be the 1st one for 2011 +/-.

Last edited:
Thanks. I am keeping my eyes and ears open, watching the web sites and checking the newspapers each week. They are building a new Firestone Car Care shop a few miles from my house. If they ever get it finished, I am hoping they might have a Grand Opening sale with a good deal on a new set of LE's. I don't need an AT type of tire, and I don't want to chance a loss of MPG and an increase in tire noise or bad ride quality. My current LE's have been good tires, especially for the price. They will probably last me another 10K and are just a bit noisy now in their old age.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Every truck I have ever had( 10 differet ones from Dodge and Chevy )have always suffered MPG loss from AT tires. Anyone I know of who has run AS and AT on the same truck has seen MPG loss with the AT's.

I don't know..all I'm saying is I've never experienced that issue....however, my bigger engine trucks are diesels that average 23mpg city anyways....I gave up on V8's a long time ago, used way too much fuel for city driving.

The reality is, it doesn't matter, what does matter is the OP lives in Florida, and his needs are met easily by any A/S tire.

Can't go wrong with Firestone's irregardless which one you chose.

Purchase and get em on and get rollin
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Everyone I know that has the BFG All Terrains says they last forever. They usually have to replace them for dry rot or cracking before they replace them for wear.

My buddy with the F-250 cooked his set in about 8 months. I was really shocked, as I had always heard the same as what you stated (and so had he, that's why he bought them).

I imagine it is his driving style that has done them in.

OP:

If you haven't already, check out the Michelin LTX M/S2 and LTX A/T2 tires.

The most important things you can do with "off road" oriented tires is to keep them properly inflated at all times and rotate them every 5K miles max. If you treat them like passenger car tires, they will wear out faster than expected. With that said, the BFG AT KOs are the best all terrain "off road" tires on the market....great street manners, great off road capabiity and they will last a long time if cared for-it's not uncommon to get 50K plus miles out of a set.

I won't say all AT tires last longer than highway tires, but my Dueler AT 695's are doing far better than the Long Trails my truck came with. There is no drop in mileage and noticeable road noise, and snow and ice traction is much better. Apples to oranges, but I will replace these AT's with another set of AT's when the time comes. I never go off road.

Jimmy,

Since you are in the Firestone/Bridgestone family, if it were my pick, I'd be going with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos.

That is all that will ever go on my truck unless they fiddle with the design. They have been and are excellent.

Thanks. I have done a lot of research and read more tire reviews than I care to think about right now. No matter what, I will be paying at least $480.00 and up for a good set of reliable good quality tires. I could save 100 bucks or so going with a few off-brand and major tire brand clones/knock-offs but I really don't want to take that kind of a gamble.

I just got off the phone with Tires Plus, they gave me a quote of $508.00 out the door for a new set of 4 Destination LE 235/75R15's. I think that's about as fair a price as I will get. I had good luck with my current Firestones, but I think they would have lasted longer if I had not run 45 psi in them for about 5 months. I was trying to get better MPG but I think it just ruined my tires instead. On my new set I will use a cross pattern when I rotate the tires too, crossing the left front to right rear, right front to left rear, left rear to left front, right rear to right front. I hope that and running 35 psi will help my next set of tires last a lot longer.

You can run them high, just choose a more reasonable pressure, say 36-38PSI.

Rotating cross pattern is a good idea! Use a depth gauge and write down the results to help you stay on top of the wear trends.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Thanks. I have done a lot of research and read more tire reviews than I care to think about right now. No matter what, I will be paying at least $480.00 and up for a good set of reliable good quality tires. I could save 100 bucks or so going with a few off-brand and major tire brand clones/knock-offs but I really don't want to take that kind of a gamble.

I just got off the phone with Tires Plus, they gave me a quote of $508.00 out the door for a new set of 4 Destination LE 235/75R15's. I think that's about as fair a price as I will get. I had good luck with my current Firestones, but I think they would have lasted longer if I had not run 45 psi in them for about 5 months. I was trying to get better MPG but I think it just ruined my tires instead. On my new set I will use a cross pattern when I rotate the tires too, crossing the left front to right rear, right front to left rear, left rear to left front, right rear to right front. I hope that and running 35 psi will help my next set of tires last a lot longer.

That is a great tire, at a great price. I'd jump on it!

M

Yep, I am jumping on it as soon as I receive my income tax refund in a few weeks. Tires Plus has saved the price quote for me in their register computer and it includes lifetime rotation, balance and road hazard policies. This Tires Plus location is very good, I have always received good prices and good service there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back