supertech walmart filter help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be interested in cutting a new one open and blowing through the dry filter element with the center tube in there, of course. I always do that. Not very scientific, but I like to see if I can exhale easy through the thing compared to other dry, unused ones. I figure if air blows really easy, it is not too restrictive. Just a quick check, not a test. Considering I blew through my oil filter mount nipple after the oil was drained for an hour (through a clean hose so I didn't get a mouth full of oil), and found that it took quite a bit of blowing to move air through the oil galleries.
Probably stupid, but it gave me a feel for the relative resistance.

If this all makes no, sense, I'm still drinking my coffee and trying to wake up.

i will gladly buy one from walmart its so cheap open it up take pics so we can see whats going on
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I'd be interested in cutting a new one open and blowing through the dry filter element with the center tube in there, of course. I always do that. Not very scientific, but I like to see if I can exhale easy through the thing compared to other dry, unused ones. I figure if air blows really easy, it is not too restrictive. Just a quick check, not a test. Considering I blew through my oil filter mount nipple after the oil was drained for an hour (through a clean hose so I didn't get a mouth full of oil), and found that it took quite a bit of blowing to move air through the oil galleries.
Probably stupid, but it gave me a feel for the relative resistance.

No surprise, since the engine's oiling circuit will be about 15 times more restrictive than the filter will be ... unless it's an ST with choked down center tube holes.
whistle.gif

yeah but in those pics u can see those slits have opening on the ones im talking about you can see the slits are completely shut.

The "holes/slits" are more like louvers (think hot rod hood), The center tubes in the filters you looked at may have been turned so you could not see the slits, only the back (closed portion).

If you take the total open area of all the louvers (slits or holes) in the center tube, the total open area of the inlet holes and the total open area of the hole in the stud the filter screws onto in the block. You'll find out that the hole in the stud has the smallest open area.
18.gif
38.gif
33.gif

Last edited:
I think the horse is dead now^^^ LOL.

The resistance to fluid flow is more than the fraction of its percentage of a larger single hole, but that applies to all filters of course. Just saying a lot of little holes resist more than on big equivalent.

I can post the formula for little round holes if anyone is interested, but it is a drag to use. (Pun intended)

My Prof actually made us figure cc per minute of melted plastic through extrusion dies last semester. No fun at all.

Man them little slits just scream restrictive
crazy2.gif
i don't care what anyone says., not for me..

a lot of little holes resist more than on big equivalent.

Yep

Originally Posted By: daman
crazy2.gif

I'd have to get my hands on one and cut it to decide for sure but they look kind of tight.
At least all ST's aren't ecores, which I don't care for. I thought just the big filters were non-ecore now. I guess not.

crazy2.gif

Yep

So, no one has any flow data.....but we're SURE there has to be a problem?

No one has even attempted to calculate the area of the holes?

Why are so many people upset again?
confused.gif

I went to WM tonight and showed one of the associates. She showed her manager and they were like, "well this is getting pulled from the shelf! Thanks for showing us."

Argh. I just wanted a filter for my 97 Civic.

Originally Posted By: turbochem

confused.gif

Because it looks like the machine that stamps out the slits in the center core isn't doing it like it should, and some or most of the slits are nearly closed off. It's obvious what the issue is when you compare how the slits are supposed to look vs. ones that aren't formed right.

theres no question some are wrong. if you look at the posted images some of the slits are open more than others. when i compared same filter from different stores some slits wiere bigger than others i will post once i open one up to back my point!!!

Originally Posted By: ccapital83
stp at autozone same thing wow terrible im shocked

Then it's not a wally issue. Are any of these bad filters Made in USA?

If there really is insufficient flow, will an open bpv flow enough to lube an engine? Shops should be seeing no start complaints or cel or seized/blown engines if these filters are bad.

Quote:
At least all ST's aren't ecores, which I don't care for. I thought just the big filters were non-ecore now. I guess not.
With a few exceptions, the greatest majority of 3" or greater dia. ST/STP oil filters are ecores. Been that way for some time.

It's still my opinion based on my 7317 dissection, that looking down the centertube out alone is an unreliable method of trying to determine which slits/holes are open, or which are supposed to be open. As the pictures on page 4 show, the slits in the 7317 centertube are consistent and plentiful. Now, are they as intended by Champ, only they can answer that.

I do agree with Pete C's comment on other thread that the direction of the openings, facing base or thread end doesn't matter. That could account for, "if" the pictures are accurate, the difference between the 7317 dome facing slits and the base facing slits in the shorty version 6607 posted on page 3, centertube just turned in opposite direction. That said, not convinced from that picture that the slits do face the outlet, or which slits are open. As also shown/posted previously, shadows from flash/camera angle can falsely make some appear open and others not.

Lot's of speculation but at this point, I think only Champ can address whether the centertube is as designed.

Yesterday I went to my O'Reilly's after WM (I posted that part earlier in the thread). I snagged the 5qt Valvoline + Mobil 1 filter for 27.99. I got home and didn't think about looking at the filter at all. This morning I go and compare the filters...ST vs Mobil 1. Exact same physical size of course. I look down the tube of my Mobil 1...the slits are all open nicely. Same stamping pattern and all. The ST filter is definitely hosed IMO. At least mine is.

Originally Posted By: turbochem
crazy2.gif

Yep

So, no one has any flow data.....but we're SURE there has to be a problem?

No one has even attempted to calculate the area of the holes?

confused.gif

Far from upset
21.gif
just stating that i'd never use the filter.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
With a few exceptions, the greatest majority of 3" or greater dia. ST/STP oil filters are ecores. Been that way for some time.

Oh...(bold letters mine)
I got it backwards. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back