2005 honda accord oil reccomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, new here. I have a 2005 Honda Accord I4 which I just bought with 46,000 miles. I want the car to last so I want to put a good quality oil in it. I already replaced the brake fluid and transmission fluid just for maintenance. I was thinking about using the Amsoil XL oil this one, http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=XLMQT-EA, and changing it every 5-6k with their Ea filter as well. This seems like it would be a good combo from what I have read. But i just wanted to check with the knowledgable members here first if there was maybe a certain oil honda's run well on or if this is a good choice. Any help would be great, thank you.

Also is it safe to run 5w-20 year round, I live in Rhode Island so we do see a wide range of temps from 0-95 degrees F basically.

Last edited:
I use valvoline 5w20 conventional with a wix filter and have been using this since 60,000 miles when I bought my 2003 civic lx 1.7 4cyl. No leaks or problems at all and I put like 180 miles per week on my car.

adam

Yes, 5w20 is safe year round. It's a Honda which is very easy on oil. Also, using XL for that much less than the recommended XL OCI or 10k is unnecessary. You can use dino for a 6k OCI if you wanted to on that car.

My Accord LOVES the new XL. I am using 5w30 and it is running better than it has so far (was getting free dealer changes), went from 23mpg to 26mpg. So who knows what the dealership was putting in. Either way you can use 5w20 year round though I may stick to 5w30 since it is working out so well. BTW mine is an L4 also

The 5-20 Amsoil is fine,year round,as is the 5-6k oci. I use synthetic oil my 02,V6,Accord and an M1 filter. 111k,runs like new.

In Rhode Island I'd use 5-20 year round. If you're happy with AmsOil that's great, but really this engine will do well on even a good conventional oil for much longer than 5 or 6 thousand miles. How about the XL (or any other synthetic) for 7500 miles (the Honda factory OCI) which is very conservative.

The engine will outlast the car, so worry more about changing the brake and trans fluid frequently. I used to have an 02 Accord. The automatic transmission had almost competely failed at 150k miles. At this time, I brought it in for a smog check and the tech told me that his computer gave him a notification prompt because the levels were so low for the mileage. He said it ran like a brand new engine and asked if the engine had been replaced. Nothing had been replaced, even the cat. Oil changes were done semi regularly at Jiffy Lube and I was hard on the engine.

I bought a manual trans because of the issues I've heard of with the automatic so I should be good there. I know it might be slightly overkill but it is only $50-60 when my last oil change at valvoline cost $80 and this would be better protection. Am i wrong in assuming that the amsoil would protect the engine better for the 5-6k its in there than a dyno for the same amount of time?

or are there any good cheaper oil and filter combo's you guys would recommend, I would probably change it every 3-4k if I went with a cheaper conventional. Like I said I know it might be overkill but I'm okay with that.

Originally Posted By: mac9128
or are there any good cheaper oil and filter combo's you guys would recommend, I would probably change it every 3-4k if I went with a cheaper conventional. Like I said I know it might be overkill but I'm okay with that.

Mac, your vehicle is one of the few and I do mean few that can really handle the longer OCI's I am extremely happy with ALL of the Amsoil products I have used, I would go with the 5w20 or 5w30 of your choice. You won't be disappointed. If you do want to go with something less expensive but very good I believe Quaker St. Ultimate is very good. The bottom line is for that car any name brand will do. If you want to baby it I would use AMSOIL.

I have exactly the same engine/tranmission combo in my '03 Accord. I have used PP or NAPA synthetic 5w-20 with no issues at all. I also use the Honda A01 oil filters; these can be found of the web and are typically not available at the dealership. The engine runs like new with almost 109000. Of course, I did the recommended 1000000 makeover (plugs, valve adjustment, all fluids changed etc.). I suggest that you google "high mileage Hondas". You will see that there are many Honda owners who have over 200000 miles on their vehicles who have used nothing more than the oil that comes out of the tap at the dealership. In addition, please check the UOAs for this engine on this forum. Many people use some kind of dino (PYB and QS green bottle seem to be favored) with excellent results. Thank you and have fun with your new Honda. I love mine.

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is PP, penzion platinum?

I'll try and look over the UOAs but i have never really looked at them before so don't know what I'm looking for. I was just at autozone actually checking out what they have in 5qt jugs to see what I could get for $20-30 plus a filter and change it myself. Mobile 1 was just over but I hear its cheaper at walmart. Mobil clean 5k was only $15 I was surprised at how cheap it was. Would that and a decent filter, pure or m1, be good every 3-5k miles?

Really, the engine is so easy on oil you can run anything for 7500 miles. There are lots of good oils, Pennzoil Platinum (PP) or Amsoil wouild be fine for much longer than that.

If you have the manual trans, I would recommend changing that fluid to the Amsoil MTL or the new (new formula in 06) Honda OEM MTF which really made a difference for me. 2 quarts, 11 bucks, and I can get into first while rolling when it's below 0 again.

I actually have 3 quarts of amsoil mtf sitting in the garage, have to change it while im home for winter break. I'm thinking about the mobile clean 5000 since its only 15 bucks for a 5 gallon jug and maybe $10 for a good filter along with it. The $80 change an valvoline was simply outrageous. Still would probably not push it past 5k OCIs.

so what are some good filters that i can get at autzone or walmart?

I was thinking about Penzzoil yellow bottle conventional 5w-20, seems to be a good cheaper oil from reading around on here and since its cheap I can swap it out at 3-4k for piece of mind for me. Just looking for filter suggestions.

I think you could get a dealer change with oil and filter for about $30-$40.

Originally Posted By: mac9128
so what are some good filters that i can get at autzone or walmart?

Best oil filter value IMO is the Purolator Pure One which autozone has

My advice is to use any name brand synthetic, change it at the factory intervals and use a decent mid market filter like the PureOne. Excellent deals on name brand synths can often be found by watching the appropriate forum here on BITOG.

You could spend more money for limited distribution oils and filters from the likes of Amsoil, but I highly doubt doing so will add any useful life to your Honda.

Make sure to also change the transmission fluid, brake fluid and coolant on a regular and reasonable schedule as well. Many people obsess about their motor oil and then neglect other fluids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back