Need A Battery Charger...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a 12V Battery Charger capable of charging a dead battery/plus trickle charge under $100.

What do you have.....would you recommend it?

Highly recommend a Black and Decker or Vector smart charger. B&D bought out Vector. I have a Vector and it's flawless and super easy to use; all computer controlled. You can still find the Vector ones at auto parts stores for cheap. These can charge a dead battery, trickle charge, maintain a battery indefinitely, and jump start.

http://www.amazon.com/Vector-VEC1087C-Automatic-Battery-Charger/dp/B000B794Q8

Last edited:
I have the world standard (walmart version) manual charger, 2 or 6 amp, no brains whatsoever. I like it. Has the meter on the front and the amps switch... and that's it.

Sometimes if you get a completely dead battery you have to charge it at 2 amp for a while then switch to 6. It'll put enough in overnight to start the engine or you can leave it buzzing until the ammeter drops way down, then the battery's full. If the ammeter never drops (or if it drops in 15 minutes) you know the battery is junk.

Harbor freight has a sale now, including a "jump start" mode one for $30 IIRC in paper flyer (coupon?), $40 online.

I have a vector 2/6/10 and the later B&D 2/10/25 +75 start, and it includes a desulfate program. fairly cheap at wallyworld.

for my rv I have a 2 channel NOCO 2x10amp with trickle and automatic desulphate and float maint.

I recommend the B&D as the best all around. but the smaller vector (now available from B&D) is great if you have an overnight to spend and I use it to keep my diesel tractor on maint so I can start her in the cold

^ in my former life we used a similar looking booster and it worked. Those 55 amps actually, slowly, boosted a S15 2.8 to life.

Yeah HF is all about look-alike products, but this looks exactly the same, down to the heavy metal case etc. I guess my biggest worry would be poor insulation on the wires in the transformer. Had a chinese angle grinder that over about ten minutes let out ever increasing amounts of horrible smelling smoke before freezing up, could have been the motor windings.

HF markets welders that generate complaints, but they aren't usually based on OMG the transformer melted down and took the garage out with it...

Not sure if you live near an Advance store, but they show Schumacher chargers on their website. There's many choices to look at, plus use one of the online codes now posted on the rebate/promo board, get a decent deal. Order online, pick up in store. Check it out. Just a suggestion.

I have the Sears version of the 50/10/2 amp, works fine. Will start a dead battery if with 50amps selected. Might have to wait a bit between tries, but it works.

Also just got a Battery Tender Jr., mostly for motorcyle because of special connector included. Charged/refreshed all my vehicles, motorcycle and lawnmower with it, great. Wouldn't recommend for dead batteries wanting a quick start though.

I like the battery minder 2/4/8A charger/maintainer. It goes into a desulfudation mode, float mode and thermally compensates, which is key. Lack of compensation with long term use can cause thermal runaway.

Model 12248.

I've got a Vector 2/4/10 with the desulfate mode, a HF 'float' charger (the one typically on sale 4/6 computerized charger (65834). All of them seem to work very well for their intended purposes and do a nice job of helping maintain batteries, especially in winter.

I used to have the Schumacher all-analog style but I've had them overcook batteries.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Looking for a 12V Battery Charger capable of charging a dead battery/plus trickle charge under $100.

capable of charging a dead battery?! Good luck! Never heard of a charger priced reasonably and yet still capable of "reviving" a dead lead-acid battery.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Highly recommend a Black and Decker or Vector smart charger. B&D bought out Vector. I have a Vector and it's flawless and super easy to use; all computer controlled. You can still find the Vector ones at auto parts stores for cheap. These can charge a dead battery, trickle charge, maintain a battery indefinitely, and jump start.

http://www.amazon.com/Vector-VEC1087C-Automatic-Battery-Charger/dp/B000B794Q8

That is a great charger. I got one. I also have this one, which is a little bit better.

http://www.batterychargers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=94026890AL

Originally Posted By: Quest

capable of charging a dead battery?! Good luck! Never heard of a charger priced reasonably and yet still capable of "reviving" a dead lead-acid battery.

Q.

Who asked to revive? Just recharge.

Sometimes I run into a battery that's been sitting around a bunch of months, or have had a car door open all night. Save the alternator, give a soft charge.

Deep cycling ain't great, but once doesn't hurt. And if it does, the first thing to try is a good deep slow to mid speed charge.

I'm seriously thinking about getting this one.

http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Multi-7002-Ba...1791&sr=1-1

Good one for maintaining a battery only, not good for charging use. You can get the same results from a $10 Harbor Freight battery maintainer charger.

Best to have a 10-12amp charger that also does maintaining charging and jump starting.

i have used schumacher chargers. they have several different sizes they are made very well. prices are good. wallmart has them.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I'm seriously thinking about getting this one.

http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Multi-7002-Ba...1791&sr=1-1

Good one for maintaining a battery only, not good for charging use. You can get the same results from a $10 Harbor Freight battery maintainer charger.

+1 that is insanely overpriced.

I have an older Schumacher charger that hasn't been used for years.
For my motorcycles, I keep them on tender/maintainers between rides - I use the Deltran Battery Tender Plus for them. They are great as long as a fast charge isn't needed. Always done me right including the batteries when I had a boat - that sat through winters. I also kept a 1kW generator in the boat that had 12V for charging, but never needed it in all the years I had the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back